Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correct! Varnish does "attach" better to Mahogany.

When young, for many years, in boat Yards of LI South shore in NY and in Maine's Penobscot Bay area... I applied A Lot of Varnish! Sure is beautiful when done. Sure gets ugly with much effort needed to restore if let go too long. Interior last quite a while, remaining in good condition. Exterior life-span pales in comparison; due to the elements.

Yup. In in the 50s and very early 60s we raced a boat named Miss Pepsi, U99. (But that's another story.)
Total mahogany. It was referred to as "the mahogany cigar." Refinishing was infrequent, if at all. It now resides in the
https://detroithistorical.org/dossin-great-lakes-museum/plan-your-visit/general-information
on Belle Island Michigan but, that's another story. It has been refinished once, to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
Yup. In in the 50s and very early 60s we raced a boat named Miss Pepsi, U99. (But that's another story.)
Total mahogany. It was referred to as "the mahogany cigar." Refinishing was infrequent, if at all. It now resides in the
https://detroithistorical.org/dossin-great-lakes-museum/plan-your-visit/general-information
on Belle Island Michigan but, that's another story. It has been refinished once, to the best of my knowledge.

During beginning of my 7th grade [1963]; dad purchased a really cool 38' raised deck sport fisher woodie. Keel laid 1950. Hull, decks, superstructure and interior built for and by the master shipbuilder at Brooklyn Navy Yard [he built it all - with assistance from his yard hands!]. He was the guy that oversaw the building of NY Harbor pilot boats. Construction of the boat was incredible. Joinery was to marvel at. Everything but keel, frame, hull, bottom and sides was varnished Honduran Mahogany. All of the interior, decks, transom, superstructure window frames, flying bridge [inside and out] were "VARNISHED"... Everything!

Well... evidently the builder passed not long after completion and it was sold to a guy who used the crap out of it and while so doing treated it like crap too.

Anyway... when we got it... exterior varnish was in very poor condition; many re-coats with no sanding or other needed preparations done.

We stripped all decks and superstructure and bridge experior, to bare wood. Well painted those areas. Left the bridge interior varnish and made it pretty again. Transom remained varnished too; made that really pretty!

Interior got a good sanding and then several new coats of varnish. Beautiful!

Long and short of it - She became a beauty-piece from lots o' work by dad and me. We also pulled out her 155 hp Nordberg Knight and put in a 185 hp Perkins. Talk about economical to run with marine diesel at 0.19 to 0.21 cents per gallon back then. She had SD bottom shape, cruised easy at 11 to 12 knots all day. 3 +/- nmpg.

Last edited:
Wifey B: The deck of the boat in my avatar is Mahogany. I'm amazed how well it's held up but most of the time we do keep it under roof. :)

Wifey B: The deck of the boat in my avatar is Mahogany. I'm amazed how well it's held up but most of the time we do keep it under roof. :)

Boats LUV to be kept under roof! :smitten:

Especially thems with varnished decks! :thumb:

Solar heat-rays really do a number on most materials left in the open... not to mention numerous climate vagaries taking their continual toll on exposed surfaces. :facepalm:

Here is one I am looking at; I have decided that Sb is too small for us to live/work on. This boat has the best layout I have seen so far for a couple who sleep apart (I snore!). She has a get-home engine, large pilot house with berth, and for a steel hulled vessel, not too old.

Balyarta ticks all the right boxes for me. Here's a sunset image:

Here's the listing:

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1990-roberts-waverunner/SSE-AD-6416829/?Cr=25

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 08.03.37.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 08.03.37.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 73
Here is one I am looking at; I have decided that Sb is too small for us to live/work on. This boat has the best layout I have seen so far for a couple who sleep apart (I snore!). She has a get-home engine, large pilot house with berth, and for a steel hulled vessel, not too old.

Here's the listing:

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1990-roberts-waverunner/SSE-AD-6416829/?Cr=25

Take a look at MOJO. No get home engine... but good if you sleep apart. www.mvmojo.com

I will certainly look at MOJO, but it's a long way away from us! The get-home engine on the one I linked to is not a massive plus for me, but the pilothouse with berth and the fact that it is stabilised is. We often have confused seas here on the East coast, and my partner does not like Sb's rapid ("tender" or "lively" are polite descriptions!) roll movement. So, next boat must have stabilisation.

MOJO is beautiful, and a lot of boat for the asking price.

for a couple who sleep apart (I snore!).

Wifey B: You need to get to a doctor for that, perhaps a sleep study. Snoring isn't always a benign condition and, even if you're found not to have apnea, other snoring can often be addressed with a simple mouth device or a very simple procedure. Don't just live with it. :eek:

Looks fantastic in pictures but so do I. LOL
I'd remove the flopper stoppers and put in a hydraulic stabilizer system, fill the fuel tanks, load all the necessary stores and go for a ride.

Personally, I dont like "wet head" or maybe I am looking at the pictures wrong.

Last edited:
Here is one I am looking at....Balyarta ticks all the right boxes for me....
I can see why. Have you been to see it, quite a trip(we looked at a Pacific Trawler up there), but way shorter than crossing the Pacific Ocean. Hope it goes well. I remember Bay Pelican used run the auxiliary/get home for docking, to keep it exercised and help manouever.

Here's the listing:

That is pretty nice.
Actually, on second look a lot better.

Last edited:
Wish I could figure out how to pull a pic off the listing page. Gorgeous boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/cammenga-de-vries-steel-motor-yacht-3619998/

I would say it’s almost perfect... until I saw the doubler plates welded into the bottom. That’s a quick and cheesy way of “repairing” (covering up) rusty steel plating. If you made an offer on this beauty, you’d want to budget having those doublers cut out and repaired properly. Plus you’re surveyor would want to be really suspicious about anything else that had been hidden or Mickey-Moused. Adjustments.JPG

I would say it’s almost perfect... until I saw the doubler plates welded into the bottom. That’s a quick and cheesy way of “repairing” (covering up) rusty steel plating. If you made an offer on this beauty, you’d want to budget having those doublers cut out and repaired properly. Plus you’re surveyor would want to be really suspicious about anything else that had been hidden or Mickey-Moused. View attachment 97775

A common and acceptable way to repair steel hulls. It does warrant further investigation.

It is a common way to repair, and I have done it also, but it is not acceptable if you are looking for a quality and permanent fix.

My wife would kill me if I asked her to work in a galley with no outside window view.

Hmm. True. I recall that my wife hated my galley down design in my Burger. She spends most of her day in the kitchen at home, and therefore that galley needs to be treated with reverence [emoji846].

I’ve thought about my next design, that as a compromise I would prefer to put the saloon down, and the galley/dinette up. The saloon, or living room, is an “evening place” - to watch tv, curl up with a book, stay warm at night while chatting, etc.

Daytime is for kitchens/dinettes: breakfast, lunch, drinks, snacks...

That’s our use anyway.

Hmm. True. I recall that my wife hated my galley down design in my Burger. She spends most of her day in the kitchen at home, and therefore that galley needs to be treated with reverence [emoji846].

I’ve thought about my next design, that as a compromise I would prefer to put the saloon down, and the galley/dinette up. The saloon, or living room, is an “evening place” - to watch tv, curl up with a book, stay warm at night while chatting, etc.

Daytime is for kitchens/dinettes: breakfast, lunch, drinks, snacks...

That’s our use anyway.

Taint no room for wenches nor galley slaves in 2020! :facepalm: :lol: :hide:

Galley slaves!

Reminds me of the apt and villa designs when I was in the Middle East. Kitchens were not of the open design like we use in the west. They were always a closed off room. That’s because the maid (galley slave) did all the cooking.

Mi wife is no galley slave. I however, am a proud slave to my family though [emoji846]

Taint no room for wenches nor galley slaves in 2020! :facepalm: :lol: :hide:

That's the way it will be aboard my boat.

Mi wife is no galley slave. I however, am a proud slave to my family though [emoji846]
That is the unfortunate fate of the modern family man. It's time to take back our manhood and put women in their place, anywhere but near me. :lol:

Are you a Little Rascal? You sound like you’re head of the He-Man’s Woman Haters Club [emoji846]

I wonder if Bill Cosby ever released his stranglehold on that part of our cultural history and filmography.

A common and acceptable way to repair steel hulls. It does warrant further investigation.

From a marine engineer expert ...

"A common way to patch damage or lace thin hulls when there is no other choice or no one is looking. It is prohibited by every classification society. The only way to repair hull plate damage is by cropping back to good steel and replacing.with new."

Galley slaves!
Reminds me of the apt and villa designs when I was in the Middle East. Kitchens were not of the open design like we use in the west. They were always a closed off room. That’s because the maid (galley slave) did all the cooking.
We chartered a catamaran out of Athens, and one of us knew the company owner. We had lunch/drinks on board his 60-something Ferretti, which had one of those lower galley areas. The owner barked at the pakistani 'mate' like the poor guy was a galley slave. Even my Italian friend of his was sort of put off by it. Different cultural perspectives, I suppose.

Are you a Little Rascal? You sound like you’re head of the He-Man’s Woman Haters Club [emoji846]

I wonder if Bill Cosby ever released his stranglehold on that part of our cultural history and filmography.
I watched Little Rascals and He-Man. :lol:

I dunno what happened to Bill. His life is all so very confusing. You think you know a guy. :lol:

Years ago there was a welding technique to "build up" thin areas on a hull. It was welding that went on in a sheet. Can't come up with a name for the technique. Don't know if it is done today or who might do it.

I had a copper plate to use as a heat sink to weld thin metal. Such techniques are limited and don't always work. You can't weld to rust.

Little Rascals was a little before my time. That and Three Stooges were never favorites but were constant re-runs when I was a child. When I was learning to swim I had a Batman coloring book.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom