Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sumner Craft,
How many know what a Sumner Craft is?
I didn’t until I bought one.
It’s a 29’ composit wood and FG.
It’s initially built like a strip planked wood boat.
Plywood sections are cut out like bulkheads and attached to a strongback as in typical wood boat construction. Then the planking is laid on the cross sections that give the hull it’s shape. Next the outside of the hull is fiberglassed in the typical way. Then the whole structure is stiffened to stay aligned while being inverted and re-aligned. Right-side-up and again aligned the formers (like bulkheads) are removed. Then the inside of the hull is fiberglassed. The resulting hull is finished partly like a FG boat and partly like a wood boat.

Eric - I vaguely recall Sumner Craft from the 1960's. Might have read about it in a boating magazine. I was addicted to reading those mags while in my teens. When did you own a Sumner?

Last edited:
Art,
I think Sumner Craft built more motorsailers than cruisers. The motorsailers were mostly 31’. I use the word cruiser because that’s what she was and is. I had numerous original brochures promoting the boats as open blue water boats claiming great seaworthyness. She was one-of-a-kind.

If I was really going to go places I’d get this boat. It’s kind of a bigger version of what I have, but with better outside seating, way more interior room, nice size engine space and work bench, big galley, nice pilothouse seating area. These boats supposed to be fuel efficient with great range, and stable underway with the sails up and decent wind. Interesting boomless mainsail rig. Not sure how that works?

Most probably won’t like it because it’s a motorsailer with most of the living space down below, but I think it’s a neat boat.

IMG_7414.JPG

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/2009-seahorse-mandarin-52-7097912/

https://www.passagemaker.com/channe...-a-motorsailer-offers-the-best-of-both-worlds

Attachments

• Copy of M-52 cruise report 1.jpg
    Copy of M-52 cruise report 1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Copy of M-52 cruise report 2.jpg
    Copy of M-52 cruise report 2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
From Seahorse's website:

EASY TO USE BOOMLESS RIG: The furling mainsail on the Mandarin 52 is sheeted to an atwarthship spreader bar located between double backstays. This is an ideal rig for a motorsailer. The dangerous and often troublesome boom is eliminated and jibing is about as exciting as moving your handkerchief from one pocket to another. Furling and reefing are handled the same as the genoa.

Interestingly, though, there are two other Mandarin 52's for sale on Boats.com and both of these come WITH booms.

Jim

Interesting boomless mainsail rig. Not sure how that works?

As a motor sailor you'll know that you spend most of your time sheeted in. This is because the apparent wind, thanks to your motoring speed, is generally well forward of the beam. Unless it's piping up and then you don't need to motor and just sail.

Which I don't think this will do well. In fact, it can become quite unruly in anything above.... say 10-15. So down it comes, and now you're running jib alone and you're autopilot is working it's a55 off and the batteries are heading south in a hurry. And you lose the stabilization it brings. So as a long time sailor with quite a few miles of off shore in occasionally challenging conditions this is a NO.

Just learn to deal with the "dangerous boom". It's fine. Or just go power and get some stabilizers which is the road I'll be heading down.

The simple solution for most motor sailors especially inshore is a fully battened mainsail.

The camber is created by batten tension and if motoring directly into the wind the sail does not sake and flog itself to death.

As most folks cruise at a fixed RPM the sail simply adds to the boat speed when the wind is favorable.

The simple solution for most motor sailors especially inshore is a fully battened mainsail.

The camber is created by batten tension and if motoring directly into the wind the sail does not sake and flog itself to death.

As most folks cruise at a fixed RPM the sail simply adds to the boat speed when the wind is favorable.

I’m gonna guess that furled mainsail is not battened, unless it’s vertically battened?

As a motor sailor you'll know that you spend most of your time sheeted in. This is because the apparent wind, thanks to your motoring speed, is generally well forward of the beam. Unless it's piping up and then you don't need to motor and just sail.

Which I don't think this will do well. In fact, it can become quite unruly in anything above.... say 10-15. So down it comes, and now you're running jib alone and you're autopilot is working it's a55 off and the batteries are heading south in a hurry. And you lose the stabilization it brings. So as a long time sailor with quite a few miles of off shore in occasionally challenging conditions this is a NO.

Just learn to deal with the "dangerous boom". It's fine. Or just go power and get some stabilizers which is the road I'll be heading down.

When it’s really windy and I need some stabilization I’ve used just the jib with good results. It’s much easier for me to furl up the jib in a blow than the in-mast mainsail.

Like our ?

But my boss euh... my wife don't like the color :lol:

Attachments

• 100_0508.jpg
    100_0508.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 63
Very cool! I love the color— people can see you coming.

What’s the Sq Ft of that sail? Is it effective for roll control?

Attachments

• 8_HULL_UNDER_WATER_LINE_JOEST_BOATS_KBJ_230181841_sq_thumb_s.jpg
    8_HULL_UNDER_WATER_LINE_JOEST_BOATS_KBJ_230181841_sq_thumb_s.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 547
Sumner Craft,
How many know what a Sumner Craft is?
I didn’t until I bought one.
It’s a 29’ composit wood and FG.
It’s initially built like a strip planked wood boat.
Plywood sections are cut out like bulkheads and attached to a strongback as in typical wood boat construction. Then the planking is laid on the cross sections that give the hull it’s shape. Next the outside of the hull is fiberglassed in the typical way. Then the whole structure is stiffened to stay aligned while being inverted and re-aligned. Right-side-up and again aligned the formers (like bulkheads) are removed. Then the inside of the hull is fiberglassed. The resulting hull is finished partly like a FG boat and partly like a wood boat.

So typical and common strip plank composite construction.

I've always preferred female frames.
Attach planking to female frame mould, glass inside, add real bulkheads and glass in, and then roll and glass outside.
Less movement.
Less steps

They say it'll do 12 - 14 kts wide open, so I'd say it's gotta be SD. Based on the 59' waterline length, hull speed is only about 10.3 kts on that thing.

I don’t see a picture of the underwater hull aft.
Probably has a rounded transom kinda like the Bartender has a pointed transom but I’ll bet they have a straight run aft w little or no buttock line angle ... like the planing Bartender.

So typical and common strip plank composite construction.

I've always preferred female frames.
Attach planking to female frame mould, glass inside, add real bulkheads and glass in, and then roll and glass outside.
Less movement.
Less steps

Well you should have been there to tell them how to build their boat.

But it may be easier to finish the outside of the hull. For whatever reason they chose one of the two ways. Same result basically .. or totally. I personally prefer plywood or batten seam planked, Ashworth double planking or just carvelle planked. No problem w fairness then.

The name "Tusitala" is a Samoan word meaning writer or teller of tales/stories. It was used for author Robert Louis Stevenson who spent part of his latter life there.

Yep. Robert Louis Stevenson had a boat with the same name but much larger.

Attachments

• tusit2.jpg
    tusit2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 96

Pretty sad that a large scale cleanup of the oceans is not feasible, according to these folks. [emoji25]

My other thought is, it would be “interesting” to be on that boat in a big blow with all those panels catching lots of wind. When my big, heavy, sharp glass panels blew off in Dorian one of them smashed itself to bits into the side of another boat (sorry [emoji25]) and caused quite a bit of damage. The other one was still in one piece somehow, but it flew quite a distance from the boat. I can’t imagine being around with those sharp panels flying. I’m sure they have theirs mounted better than I did however.

Last edited:
4100 gallons of fuel?
That will set you back a few Confederate dollars.

Greetings,

Mr. SoF. I didn’t see any price listed either. What is the rationale behind this and don’t give me that arrogant “If you have to ask...”. BS. It’s up to ME whether I can or can’t or if I will or won’t afford/buy the item.

Back
Top Bottom