Old 12-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #8121
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatruptcy View Post
Take it up with the broker, his numbers:

Chauvin, La PRICE REDUCTION!! Used Steel Trawler converted into long range live aboard cruiser. First class long range cruising trawler For Sale. Proven and tested as great sea boat with economical long range cruising ability.Runs on aprox 1 gal per mile. Bottom blasted to white metal and painted.Bilges blasted and painted. All machinery removed and replaced with new. All new cabin converted into living quarters. Ice hold converted into additional living quarters with laundry room and head shower.This is a first class conversion for long range cruising.This boat is exceptionally strong built and no expense spared to keep boat maintenance free with lots of stainless steel everywhere.MUST SEE!!!

Equipment
Bow thruster.
New Scandia 550hp with 500 hours. 8GPH @9 knts.
New Twin Disc 6:1 Gear.
Kubota 40 kw.
Cummins 855 30 KW.
30,000 mile cruising range.
Sitex auto pilot.
Furuno 45 mile Radar with Chart plotter [2] Chart plotter.
Anchor windlass.
Sleeps 10.
6 Ton central AC/Heat.
Washer/dryer.
Ahead Brand USCG approved heads [2], direct discharge, no holding tank required.
Full SS Cap rail/ recessed anchor chute.
Dual steering stations.
Includes 15hp outbord inflatable and 25ft rigid boats
Bloody Nora, an 855 as a genset?
That's what we have as our main.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #8122
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Just a little finishing required and it has a Gardner.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...ab4a327e40-001
She'd want to be a lot further along to justify that price
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:41 AM   #8123
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Oh yeah! I love those Atlas Imperial diesels.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #8124

City: florida
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...awler-3615129/

My new favorite.... for now, wish it was priced in the 600s, I would be getting serious about it.
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #8125

City: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatruptcy View Post
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...awler-3615129/

My new favorite.... for now, wish it was priced in the 600s, I would be getting serious about it.

She’s a beauty, just not sure what’s going on with those ceilings..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #8126

City: New York
Also, in the million dollar range, I really like RowDayO

https://calibreyachts.com/brokered-b...thouse/#photos
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #8127
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Check this one out guys. A deluxe, luxury trawler look with a planing hull and twin diesels, but is that a built-in 60 Yamaha O/B get home engine with a walk-around swim platform? Talk about ease of maintenance. Someone help me believe my eyes!

https://eaglecraft.bc.ca/portfolio-i...house-cruiser/
The Eaglecraft boats are ubiquitous around here, as the builder is located here. Most are built for commercial work such as water taxis and fishing boats but they do make some nice recreational boats as well.
The outboard at the back is used for going at trolling speeds while fishing. Generally recreational boats use trolling valves but this is another option.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #8128

City: florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
Also, in the million dollar range, I really like RowDayO

https://calibreyachts.com/brokered-b...thouse/#photos
I like it, but nearly a 1000 horsepower to cruise at 10 knots on a 68 footer doesn't really make sense to me.
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #8129
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Sumner Craft,
How many know what a Sumner Craft is?
I didn’t until I bought one.
It’s a 29’ composit wood and FG.
It’s initially built like a strip planked wood boat.
Plywood sections are cut out like bulkheads and attached to a strongback as in typical wood boat construction. Then the planking is laid on the cross sections that give the hull it’s shape. Next the outside of the hull is fiberglassed in the typical way. Then the whole structure is stiffened to stay aligned while being inverted and re-aligned. Right-side-up and again aligned the formers (like bulkheads) are removed. Then the inside of the hull is fiberglassed. The resulting hull is finished partly like a FG boat and partly like a wood boat.

Looking at pics #3 and 4 show a keel shape that throws water sideways into an advancing propeller blade ... like a jet engine’s stator blades. Extra thrust being the expected advantage.
By the way this was a 1961 boat. Made in Amitiville N.Y.
Attached Thumbnails
AF2955E8-3C3A-4E83-A4A5-DC266FB4C5AF.jpg   5CDB84E4-18D8-45EC-BFC3-09175FA01899.jpg   E01E7437-0619-469A-A78F-0F8BC73E2E19.jpg   3D5DEE1E-CED2-4E8B-BEAE-A0A21747F1FC.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #8130
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b. Agreed and 1000 gallons of fuel won't get you very far...
Old 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #8131
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Sumner Craft,
How many know what a Sumner Craft is?
I didn’t until I bought one.
It’s a 29’ composit wood and FG.
It’s initially built like a strip planked wood boat.
Plywood sections are cut out like bulkheads and attached to a strongback as in typical wood boat construction. Then the planking is laid on the cross sections that give the hull it’s shape. Next the outside of the hull is fiberglassed in the typical way. Then the whole structure is stiffened to stay aligned while being inverted and re-aligned. Right-side-up and again aligned the formers (like bulkheads) are removed. Then the inside of the hull is fiberglassed. The resulting hull is finished partly like a FG boat and partly like a wood boat.
Eric - I vaguely recall Sumner Craft from the 1960's. Might have read about it in a boating magazine. I was addicted to reading those mags while in my teens. When did you own a Sumner?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #8132
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art,
I think Sumner Craft built more motorsailers than cruisers. The motorsailers were mostly 31’. I use the word cruiser because that’s what she was and is. I had numerous original brochures promoting the boats as open blue water boats claiming great seaworthyness. She was one-of-a-kind.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #8133
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Oh yeah! I love those Atlas Imperial diesels.
This post sent me into an hour plus Youtube antique diesel engine excursion.....
Old 12-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #8134
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Interesting boats

If I was really going to go places I’d get this boat. It’s kind of a bigger version of what I have, but with better outside seating, way more interior room, nice size engine space and work bench, big galley, nice pilothouse seating area. These boats supposed to be fuel efficient with great range, and stable underway with the sails up and decent wind. Interesting boomless mainsail rig. Not sure how that works?

Most probably won’t like it because it’s a motorsailer with most of the living space down below, but I think it’s a neat boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7414.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	97404

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...in-52-7097912/

https://www.passagemaker.com/channel...of-both-worlds
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of M-52 cruise report 1.jpg   Copy of M-52 cruise report 2.jpg  
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #8135
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
From Seahorse's website:

EASY TO USE BOOMLESS RIG: The furling mainsail on the Mandarin 52 is sheeted to an atwarthship spreader bar located between double backstays. This is an ideal rig for a motorsailer. The dangerous and often troublesome boom is eliminated and jibing is about as exciting as moving your handkerchief from one pocket to another. Furling and reefing are handled the same as the genoa.

Interestingly, though, there are two other Mandarin 52's for sale on Boats.com and both of these come WITH booms.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #8136
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Interesting boomless mainsail rig. Not sure how that works?
As a motor sailor you'll know that you spend most of your time sheeted in. This is because the apparent wind, thanks to your motoring speed, is generally well forward of the beam. Unless it's piping up and then you don't need to motor and just sail.

Which I don't think this will do well. In fact, it can become quite unruly in anything above.... say 10-15. So down it comes, and now you're running jib alone and you're autopilot is working it's a55 off and the batteries are heading south in a hurry. And you lose the stabilization it brings. So as a long time sailor with quite a few miles of off shore in occasionally challenging conditions this is a NO.

Just learn to deal with the "dangerous boom". It's fine. Or just go power and get some stabilizers which is the road I'll be heading down.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #8137
FF
Guru

The simple solution for most motor sailors especially inshore is a fully battened mainsail.

The camber is created by batten tension and if motoring directly into the wind the sail does not sake and flog itself to death.

As most folks cruise at a fixed RPM the sail simply adds to the boat speed when the wind is favorable.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #8138
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The simple solution for most motor sailors especially inshore is a fully battened mainsail.

The camber is created by batten tension and if motoring directly into the wind the sail does not sake and flog itself to death.

As most folks cruise at a fixed RPM the sail simply adds to the boat speed when the wind is favorable.

I’m gonna guess that furled mainsail is not battened, unless it’s vertically battened?
Old 12-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #8139
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
As a motor sailor you'll know that you spend most of your time sheeted in. This is because the apparent wind, thanks to your motoring speed, is generally well forward of the beam. Unless it's piping up and then you don't need to motor and just sail.

Which I don't think this will do well. In fact, it can become quite unruly in anything above.... say 10-15. So down it comes, and now you're running jib alone and you're autopilot is working it's a55 off and the batteries are heading south in a hurry. And you lose the stabilization it brings. So as a long time sailor with quite a few miles of off shore in occasionally challenging conditions this is a NO.

Just learn to deal with the "dangerous boom". It's fine. Or just go power and get some stabilizers which is the road I'll be heading down.

When it’s really windy and I need some stabilization I’ve used just the jib with good results. It’s much easier for me to furl up the jib in a blow than the in-mast mainsail.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #8140
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
Like our ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

But my boss euh... my wife don't like the color
Attached Thumbnails
100_0508.jpg  
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote