Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Passed on ICW south of JAX

That guy was an ex-NASA engineer and built his boat in Merritt Island.
I saw him testing it (doing a bollard test) at the dock and he was pushing a LOT of water out the back.
He has a tilt control of each panel so he can orient them to find the sun (on clear days) and run on all battery / electric power.

I saw him testing it (doing a bollard test) at the dock and he was pushing a LOT of water out the back.

He has a tilt control of each panel so he can orient them to find the sun (on clear days) and run on all battery / electric power.

Yeah to me that’s cool. Some people might call it trailer trash, but I call it getting on the water, having fun designing and building something on the cheap.

Cool!

I'm still liking this for $495k aud
That's $338k USD

images

She has twin 6lx Gardner's in her
Sold now, love to know what she eventually went for

Downside to me was round stern making her difficult to board.

LS Yachts - International Yacht Brokers

Old ad painted white had $1.5 mill on her
EXPLORER YACHT 75 Barens Shilo

Yeah, but it sure is fun to think about.

Last edited:
Same. I once lusted after big, complicated boats like this. Now I really appreciate my small, relatively simple boat.

Simple Is Good; as is, Not Too Big nor Too New... which can keep things - Simple!!

We have three simple vintage boats [1975, 1977, 1989]. A simple vintage 1996 RV Motorhome. Two simple SUV [one vintage 1998 Explorer one really nice 2014 Lincoln MKT], A simple classic 1967 Buick Wildcat muscle car. Simple 1 ton 4WD, 4 spd manual trany vintage 1985 Chevy Silverado muscle truck. Three simple vintage houses. And simple, enduring, vintage love for all in our family as well as for each other...

Yes, Simple Is Good!! And, most simple vintage toys... are pretty darn affordable too!! :dance:

Last edited:
1. You had fuel for a trans pacific?

2. How did you know you needed to weld in new and where were the most common areas? You could not use a bore scope to nose around some, or this was before bore scopes?
I ask the second question because I think I want a steel trawler. Can you tell me the major positives and negatives for steel construction? Thank you for any comments. Bill

Bill,
I am not the poster to whom you directed this question but want to take a stab at answering number 2. for you.
I own steel boats and do not spend any time worrying about the interior of the steel hull in areas that I cannot get to in order to see. Instead I rely on a very good high tech audiogauge in the hands of someone who really knows how to use it. This instrument in the right hands assesses hull thickness in millimeters and compares to build spec and to previous surveys with the audiogauge. We generally ping the hull with this in about 200 spots and pay close attention to areas where you would suspect wear or corrosion. Takes about 30 minutes and not expensive. It will indicate where the plates are getting attacked if they are.
Both of the large metal boats I own are over 32 years old. At the last survey of Libra, the Dutch surveyor who ran the audiogauge and specialized in steel boats suggested I had another 100 years as long as care remained the same.

Never consider buying a steel boat without audio being part of the survey.

Last edited:
audio gauge

Don't thinking it is the ultimate answer to know the plate condition (where you can't see them).
Audio gauge COULD ONLY give an indication but for example, on a boat 18m length 200 spots is only1.5 for each square meter...Even if you concentrate the exam on potential critical point 2 or 3 audio gauge by square meter ....
You could have big deep spot of corrosion and don't see them :whistling:
Forty years ago for registered our first old ( 23 year old) steel boat we need to make an audio gauge the result was : perfect with near original tickness!!
With 150 spots just below wl on 12 m lwl

But we know our plating was not "perfect" we already change 23 m2, grinding and sand blasting and saw all the corrosion spots ... But don't see them by audio gauge because you must check exactly on them to see them, and the probability work for us :angel:
Audio gauge could be an indication, but don't trust the result at 100%

Simple Is Good; as is, Not Too Big nor Too New... which can keep things - Simple!!

We have three simple vintage boats [1975, 1977, 1989]. A simple vintage 1996 RV Motorhome. Two simple SUV [one vintage 1998 Explorer one really nice 2014 Lincoln MKT], A simple classic 1967 Buick Wildcat muscle car. Simple 1 ton 4WD, 4 spd manual trany vintage 1985 Chevy Silverado muscle truck. Three simple vintage houses. And simple, enduring, vintage love for all in our family as well as for each other...

Yes, Simple Is Good!! And, most simple vintage toys... are pretty darn affordable too!! :dance:

Define simple?

No toilet, no lights, no fridge, no stove, no water pumps?

Define simple?

No toilet, no lights, no fridge, no stove, no water pumps?

I'd think of simple in boat terms as not having extra features or stuff just for the sake of being fancy and modern. Basically, systems are well laid out, functional and everything is there for an important purpose, not just because it might be nice to have someday. Using fairly off the shelf parts rather than one-off customs contributes to simplicity as well (by virtue of being easier to repair).

Thank you Bill and Long-Cours. I hope I can find a good surveyor with the audio gage capability in my area. If I decide to go steel I may have to fly someone in. Both of the steel boats are 6-7 hours north of Detroit. The search continues. Bill

The engine room makes up for a lot of little faults. Absolutely purty. I'm an electrical builder and the wire routing and neatness of those bundles tells me somebody put a lot of sweat and blood into that engine room.
I'm a little puzzled with those coolant pipes or whatever they are running along the hull, I wonder if those pass through holes might leak or whatever.

The boat looks like a home built Nordhavn 62 done in steel. Not as fancy, but more homey looking.

Really nice.

The engine room makes up for a lot of little faults. Absolutely purty. I'm an electrical builder and the wire routing and neatness of those bundles tells me somebody put a lot of sweat and blood into that engine room.
I'm a little puzzled with those coolant pipes or whatever they are running along the hull, I wonder if those pass through holes might leak or whatever.

The boat looks like a home built Nordhavn 62 done in steel. Not as fancy, but more homey looking.

Really nice.

I imagine they're keel coolers for the main and perhaps gen, the biggest concern Is keeping the growth off of them.

I thought so. They don't seem as well thought out as lines embedded in the keel, hanging out like that a submerged rock could really ruin your day.
Still a very interesting boat!!

Yes, external pipe cooling. Lots of commercial boats do it that way. They're great and easy to clean of growth.

Love the lines of this, can't find anything about her.

Attachments

• d0909dbe6e768e0ff4c167aa1ff50aa8 (1).jpg
    d0909dbe6e768e0ff4c167aa1ff50aa8 (1).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom