Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Refrigeration isn’t necessary, it’s a luxury. With a home food dehydrator and a little planning you can have good food for months.

Refrigeration isn’t necessary, it’s a luxury. With a home food dehydrator and a little planning you can have good food for months.

Agreed, but it does make life nicer and more convenient. I can understand wanting to get along without refrigeration at all, but with current tech, going with coolers or an icebox doesn't make sense to me unless it's only for day trips and the upgrade cost therefore can't be justified.

In the eye of the beholder....I love those lines !

Now that I look more there are positive and visually pleasing elements of the big blue boat. But basically I agree w GFC. The worst element of the design of this boat is the very high freeboard. I suppose the design wouldn’t even exist w/o active stabilizers. But a boat that looks like it would be easy to turn over is IMO visually not justifiable. The sheer and gunwale just (visually) belongs much closer to the WL. I’m not a huge fan of Flemmings but like lobster-boats they have relatively low freeboard. Most boats w low freeboard do look nice. And most boats w high freeboard just don’t look right. I have no problem w the house and bridge. Just the freeboard. If one was to cut the freeboard almost in half what remained would IMO be a very nice looking boat.

I don't mind the high freeboard at the bow on the blue one, but it does carry the high freeboard a bit too far back from a looks perspective. A more gradual drop of the gunwales as it goes back and maybe a little less freeboard aft would look better, I think. Especially with the bow flare it's got.

I thought I'd add an image of the Timbercoast 22 so when the ad goes away the picture ought to remain....

timbercoast22-completed-04.jpg

And one of the cozy, though well appointed interior. Appears a fridge is in fact present for the luddities sure disappointment.....

timbercoast22-completed-02.jpg

I like the original Bartenders. Those horizontal ‘side fins’ that transform it from a super safe dory to a planing speedster was brilliant.

A perfect boat for its intended purpose; crossing river bars and beach landing/exiting through surf.

Light and very flat fore and aft. Must be hard riding.
That’s why they perform so well.
I think the boat would be as well off w/o the “side fins” except at hump speed.

How about an MG ON a boat?!?

Passed this morning on the St Johns....

Attachments

• 20191125_085311.jpg
    20191125_085311.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 113
Build your own.

Get some friends together and make a weekend of it. Looks like it is going pretty fast on the lake judging by the wake.

I thought the 28 minutes to watch this National Film Board of Canada film was time well spent.

<iframe src="https://www.nfb.ca/film/last_mooseskin_boat/embed/player/" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true"></iframe><p style="width:560px"><a href="https://www.nfb.ca/film/last_mooseskin_boat/" target="_blank"><em>The Last Mooseskin Boat</em></a><span>, </span><a href="https://www.nfb.ca/directors/raymond-yakeleya/" title="more films by Raymond Yakeleya" target="_blank"><span>Raymond Yakeleya</span></a><span>, </span><a href="https://www.nfb.ca" target="_blank">provided by the National Film Board of Canada</a></p>

Greetings,
Mr. b. No ER pictures and no mention of range or fuel consumption (might have missed it in my quick scan). I did not sit through the video so maybe that information in in there.

Oh, your post #7965.

Greetings,
Mr. b. No ER pictures and no mention of range or fuel consumption (might have missed it in my quick scan). I did not sit through the video so maybe that information in in there.

Oh, your post #7965.

Yeah, it's not in there, 4' ish draft, twins, it's definitely not fd hull and only 1,500 gallons of fuel, probably has a 1k-1500 mile range at hull speed. Not sure though.

Greg wrote;
“Get some friends together and make a weekend of it. Looks like it is going pretty fast on the lake judging by the wake.”

1/2 of hull speed I think. Notice the water humps up amidships and under the stern. If it was hull speed there would be a very low water level amidships.

A more reasonable length candidate....

A local resident stopped by to say hi while we are at the free town dock in Welaka, FL.

Attachments

• 20191125_165749-2016x1134.jpg
    20191125_165749-2016x1134.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 103
In my younger years I was a devoted follower of the Pardeys and Hiscocks and the philosophy of minimalism... electricity was evil and bad for the environment and would fail and then your boat will sink and everyone onboard will die. You have to crap in a cedar bucket and use kerosene lamps and salt your fish and venison because refrigs are faux pas.

It's funny how nowadays, electricity does work. Modern batteries are great. Solar can power everything on our boats (perhaps except aircon). Solar pollutes the environment less and is more readily available than kerosene. Ice is impossibly expensive to find in some areas. Modern refrigs (especially European ones) are incredible efficient.

So I don't know about you guys but the most important thing is that I keep my wife happy. She's not a die-hard sailor, but she is my wife, and I like having her along for the ride. But not if she has to crap in a cedar bucket. No thanks.

You can also eat MRE’s from the surplus store and sleep in a sleeping bag...... But who wants to live like a floating backpacker for more than a long weekend?

A quick note on refrigeration: The Engel 100 litre fridge/freezer (it can be either, depending on temp. setting) draws 4.8 amps max. In our ambient temperature, it runs for 30"-1:00' every fifteen minutes or so; this keeps it at 4°C, according to the thermometer in the fridge. Daily, a tiny amount of power.

Because it's located inside the cabin, and I prefer to not hear it cycle, I turn it off when I turn in. On the last overnight, by morning, the inside temp. reached 9°C. When I turned it back on, it was back down to 4°C within 45', and cycled no more than usual.

I disagree with Captain Beebe: cold beer tastes better than warm beer!

You can also eat MRE’s from the surplus store and sleep in a sleeping bag...... But who wants to live like a floating backpacker for more than a long weekend?

My wife and I once spent 6 months sea kayaking, so obviously we don’t see eye to eye on this one.

We don’t go to surplus stores but we do sleep in sleeping bags. All the time on the boat. Just got new ones and I actually got one too long.
One camping-like feature on our boat I don’t like is that it’s too tight sitting on the water closet. Gotta sit like a girl.
TV and most all that stuff is just ticky-tackey pop lifestyle of old people trying to act like kids.
Oh our hanging locker could be bigger.
Just don’t have much to complain about.

HAPPY CAMPER

My wife and I once spent 6 months sea kayaking, so obviously we don’t see eye to eye on this one.

I just told my wife that and she just gave me with a “why are you telling me this” look. [emoji30]

Back
Top Bottom