Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A homeric, in-your-face, unapologetic, brutish approach to marinedom if I ever saw one.

The 6’7” to 8’ headroom in the engine room is certainly appealing.

Isn’t all that pretty paint going to eventually fall off the aluminum hull/deck/everything?

another Seaton, I really like this boat, if it had a queen master berth and a portugese bridge and single screw I'd be on it.

Seaton Ross Long Range Trawler Trawler

It may have been on this thread before, apologies if so.

Just noticed that this is our boat. No longer for sale as we purchased it 18 months ago and have enjoyed close to 3,000 nm cruising since then.

Last edited:
A trawler just received in my mailbox :

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 127
A trawler just received in my mailbox :

I've been thinking about these much larger boats. I think they would be nice for a large family, extended family, and/or group of friends to buy and do long range cruises on together. Few of us have the money for a large boat and crew. With a good group of friends and family that's interested in some serious cruising, it could work out really well I think.

And, if you want to try your had at boat building, there are plans!

https://bartenderboats.com/timbercoast-22/

Not sure you'd be saving a huge amount when it's all said and done. It is a neat, competent, trailer-able that would be a nice way to explore for a season, then load it up and take it home or some place warm, for the winter. Pick a new place next year....

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wish I could have gotten a better vantage-point photo. Was motoring by on the river...

Anybody know what boat Amalia is?

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_191124_083207968_crop_1292x829.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_191124_083207968_crop_1292x829.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 111

And, if you want to try your had at boat building, there are plans!

https://bartenderboats.com/timbercoast-22/

Not sure you'd be saving a huge amount when it's all said and done. It is a neat, competent, trailer-able that would be a nice way to explore for a season, then load it up and take it home or some place warm, for the winter. Pick a new place next year....

Those Bartender boats are a Devlin, Gartside, or Brewer design. I can't remember which. I'd have to go back through all their stock plans list to find which guy designed them. Really nice boats and made for offshore fishing.

I think the "Timbercoast 22" was penned by Tad Roberts. The rest of the line by a Mr George Calkins.

"Legendary designer George Calkins combined these ingredients (and a great deal of style) to produce a unique boat design that continues to appeal to discriminating rough water boat enthusiasts worldwide. Read a bit about him in a Tillamook Herald news article."

George Caulkins designs originally. Now modified by others but keeping the name.
I have plans for the 29 ft from George Caulkins, (not changed by others).
Ted

Looking at that boat, you must remember 22 over all length. Very well equipped for a small boat.
Definitely rugged looking.
I am sure it will make someone VERY happy.
A fine overnight or weekend boat.

Apparently no generator.
Needs at least a one burner stove and some sort of refrigeration

When you look at the pic with the boat on the trailer, one realizes how small it is.
Still a fantastic looking boat.

OldDan wrote;
“Apparently no generator” ..... indeed.
No hot tub either.
As for “weekender” I’d take her to Alaska.
We have no refrigerator either and Willy is much bigger.
Not being snarky Dan but you sure have a big boat mindset.
I remember when I had a Jag roadster and considered anything smaller than a 6 cylinder Austin Healy was too small to take seriously. And most sports cars were in that category.
So I’ve had my mindsets too.

But I’m real glad to see a small boat on “interesting boats”. This thread is more of a big boat wish list as most aren’t interesting.

Last edited:
There's something about the lines of this boat that just turns me off. It was built with proportions that are not pleasing to my eye. The hull is fine but the upper structure looks like someone squashed it while it was being built.

The lines of the boat mickbuddy linked to in post 7925 are much more pleasing to my eye. The proportions seem to be much better.

OldDan wrote;
No hot tub either.
I remember when I had a Jag roadster and considered anything smaller than a 6 cylinder Austin Healy was too small to take seriously. And most sports cars were in that category.

But I’m real glad to see a small boat on “interesting boats”. This thread is more of a big boat wish list as most aren’t interesting.

+1 :iagree::iagree:

I'm a simplicity and small boat sailor at heart, too. Currently sized-up for comfort and live-aboard capability for the love of my life.....

There's something about the lines of this boat that just turns me off. It was built with proportions that are not pleasing to my eye. The hull is fine but the upper structure looks like someone squashed it while it was being built.

Have to say I agree. There's something 'off' about the squashed look for the main deck forward windows and the chunky-looking section above them. That and the side-only exits make the aft salon on that same deck seem... odd.

I think this is the boat: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011/ferretti-yachts-long-range-23-3255235/

The lines of the boat mickbuddy linked to in post 7925 are much more pleasing to my eye. The proportions seem to be much better.

Alas, really should be better if it were 35 or 40 ft long. Then, it would be a real go anywhere brute
The extra length would permit to install additional equipment for long distance travel.

Last edited:
OldDan wrote;
No hot tub either.

I had an MGA 2 seat coupe so I know what small means. It was not fast according to today' standards but sure would handle nice on the turns.

SMILE Hmmm, 'big boat mindset'? Remember I own a AT34.
I do like this 22ft boat..... maybe it is just a bit to bohemian to be a live aboard. 5gal holding tank? Tell that to the lady on board. LOL

I like the boat, has great possibilities, Maybe a solar panel to 2..... but still need at least a single gas burner to cook on. Granted extra water and fuel can be stowed in gerry cans but a cold plate, maybe a small inverter too, gotta run the TV while on anchor.
It is definitely a west coast boat. No place to put the A/C.
Over all, it is a very beautiful boat.
I to hope there is a macerator pump for the holding tank. SMILE

Last edited:
OldDan wrote;
No hot tub either.

Eric

... "no refrigerator"...? Do you have an "ice box"?? In my young years we always used block ice. Lasted and worked well; as long as you were quick in closing the door after taking items out!

In my young years we always used block ice. Lasted and worked well; as long as you were quick in closing the door after taking items out!

In my younger years I was a devoted follower of the Pardeys and Hiscocks and the philosophy of minimalism... electricity was evil and bad for the environment and would fail and then your boat will sink and everyone onboard will die. You have to crap in a cedar bucket and use kerosene lamps and salt your fish and venison because refrigs are faux pas.

It's funny how nowadays, electricity does work. Modern batteries are great. Solar can power everything on our boats (perhaps except aircon). Solar pollutes the environment less and is more readily available than kerosene. Ice is impossibly expensive to find in some areas. Modern refrigs (especially European ones) are incredible efficient.

So I don't know about you guys but the most important thing is that I keep my wife happy. She's not a die-hard sailor, but she is my wife, and I like having her along for the ride. But not if she has to crap in a cedar bucket. No thanks.

So I don't know about you guys but the most important thing is that I keep my wife happy. She's not a die-hard sailor, but she is my wife, and I like having her along for the ride. But not if she has to crap in a cedar bucket. No thanks.

I am seeing a trend here. "My wife she...."
Now that we are all getting older, come on guys, admit it, you like all the good things in life too.
:thumb:

In my younger years I was a devoted follower of the Pardeys and Hiscocks and the philosophy of minimalism... electricity was evil and bad for the environment and would fail and then your boat will sink and everyone onboard will die. You have to crap in a cedar bucket and use kerosene lamps and salt your fish and venison because refrigs are faux pas.

It's funny how nowadays, electricity does work. Modern batteries are great. Solar can power everything on our boats (perhaps except aircon). Solar pollutes the environment less and is more readily available than kerosene. Ice is impossibly expensive to find in some areas. Modern refrigs (especially European ones) are incredible efficient.

Smelly Post! - LOL

Now that we are all getting older, come on guys, admit it, you like all the good things in life too.

Yep. That's me. Guilty.

....but only now that I am retired and can keep up with maintaining all those systems.

In the eye of the beholder....I love those lines !

Nope, personally I like reading by candle light and crapping in a cedar bucket.... but since the Admiral likes all the comforts of home and since she allows me to run,pay for, maintain, and pilot her boat I will dutifully follow orders and put up with all the comfort..

:socool:HOLLYWOOD

I had an MGA 2 seat coupe so I know what small means. It was not fast according to today' standards but sure would handle nice on the turns.

SMILE Hmmm, 'big boat mindset'? Remember I own a AT34.
I do like this 22ft boat..... maybe it is just a bit to bohemian to be a live aboard. 5gal holding tank? Tell that to the lady on board. LOL

I like the boat, has great possibilities, Maybe a solar panel to 2..... but still need at least a single gas burner to cook on. Granted extra water and fuel can be stowed in gerry cans but a cold plate, maybe a small inverter too, gotta run the TV while on anchor.
It is definitely a west coast boat. No place to put the A/C.
Over all, it is a very beautiful boat.
I to hope there is a macerator pump for the holding tank. SMILE

Dan,
This boat was designed by Tad Roberts. A member of TF and in the past was quite active. Tad is a blessing to the marine community and a skipper and sailor on the Salish Sea.
We have no AC, converter, solar panel, and other present day standards. But our icebox holds 4 gallons of ice (in jugs) and much room for crushed ice around and on top.

Yup I had a 57 MGA also. Great car. But I have owned smaller ... an MG Miget. A one liter car. Had an 1100 Spitfire also. But what I really wanted was a 6cyl Healy. Now a good one is worth more than my boat.

Last edited:
To me, not having a refrigerator makes no sense. A decent fridge setup requires barely any more space than an icebox or coolers, figuring that you're trading space consumed by ice for a compressor and possibly extra batteries. If we're talking about a small-ish fridge, no freezer and it's well insulated, power consumption can be kept pretty low where it doesn't require a whole bunch of extra equipment to keep it powered.

Back
Top Bottom