Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• AAD0FE0B-5AD6-4BFA-97E4-EE677A7D2966.jpg
    AAD0FE0B-5AD6-4BFA-97E4-EE677A7D2966.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Reminds me of a clean version of Captain Quint’s Orca.

I'll never put on a life jacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

It’s a charter boat? That’s surprising.

We ran into this lovely trawler at Annette Inlet, BC in 2012. I was struck by it and was curious as to its brand...so when the owners were out & about on their dinghy, I inquired as to the lineage of their beauty.

The retired couple from Oregon said it's a 2001 Willard 40'. Per the husband "half the price of a Nordhavn and a better ride, too". 600 gallon fuel capacity! They kept it in Anacortes.

Nice...I like this boat. A LOT.

Willard.jpg

Dang...I love that Willard 40, and I know the Fly bimini is really a great feature, but I hate what it does to the style of that particular boat.

Dang...I love that Willard 40, and I know the Fly bimini is really a great feature, but I hate what it does to the style of that particular boat.

It’s cold up here. Even in the summer, a slight breeze can make it chilly while underway. I get it, but it’s there to make it comfortable.

Agreed:thumb:. The "FB deck" best uses would be storing the dinghy, the kayaks, and a platform for solar panels. But a great looking boat,either way.

That 2001 Willard 40'er is nicest Willard I've seen! Would love to see close ups and inside.

If you notice, no transmission shifter. Everything is accomplished by adjusting the propeller. Neat, eh?
I`m seeing to the right of the wheel a red knobbed lever - throttle, and a black - transmission? Therefore the wheel?

I`m seeing to the right of the wheel a red knobbed lever - throttle, and a black - transmission? Therefore the wheel?

The wheel changes the pitch of the prop.... The knob gives you something to hold as you spin the pitch of the prop for fwd and reverse and all pitches in between, for efficiency.

The wheel changes the pitch of the prop.... The knob gives you something to hold as you spin the pitch of the prop for fwd and reverse and all pitches in between, for efficiency.
Hey Dan,

Don`t want to make this a big deal but maybe we are looking at different pictures - the one I am looking at, to the right of the wheel is a chrome quadrant with two shifters - one red for throttle, one black for, I assume , shifting as is normal on 99.9% of boats. The wheel does have a knob/handle on its rim to grip when spinning it - perhaps the tranny shifts normally and the wheel "fine tunes" the pitch of the prop?

Last edited:
Hey Dan,

Don`t want to make this a big deal but maybe we are looking at different pictures - the one I am looking at, to the right of the wheel is a chrome quadrant with two shifters - one red for throttle, one black for, I assume , shifting as is normal on 99.9% of boats. The wheel does have a knob/handle on its rim to grip when spinning it - perhaps the tranny shifts normally and the wheel "fine tunes" the pitch of the prop?

Hmmmm, you are correct. I did not look beyond the wheel.
Now, I am not certain or to put it clearly, "I have no idea." SMIRK
:hide:

Some controllable pitch setups have a simple clutch in / out for a true neutral. Otherwise the shaft and prop are rotating at all times the main is running. And if the main's RPM is higher than the desired shaft RPM a transmission is required.

Some controllable pitch setups have a simple clutch in / out for a true neutral. Otherwise the shaft and prop are rotating at all times the main is running. And if the main's RPM is higher than the desired shaft RPM a transmission is required.

I like that explanation. SMILE Thanks for the save.
I saw one old boat with just the controllable prop. If he wanted neutral, he feathered the prop. I watched him going fwd to reverse and he worked that wheel like a Chinese fire drill. SMILE
He had a one cylinder engine so the engine sound was "ca chug, ca chug" at idle and the frequency increased as he increased the throttle. It was an air start engine.... he cheated, he had a SCUBA tank to provide the air. LOL
It was a very simple system and no transmission to go bad.

My CP experience is limited to one boat. It was a challenge in close quarters. The pitch was controlled by a hydraulic pump chain driven off the prop shaft. So at idle response to pitch change was painfully slow. At higher engine/shaft RPM it required a delicate touch on the pitch control.

And at a "flat" pitch there was still significant prop walk.

That boat gave me quite a few humbling lessons in boat handling.

Found this 40' "diamond in the rough" on the Nordhavn brokerage page. Not much in details, but would be worth a look if one was willing to put in a little work:

https://nordhavn.com/brokerage/listings/pilgrim-progress-mkii-42-susan-marie/

Me-thinks it's overpowered and the fuel tanks are too small, but interesting anyways.

That definitely is an odd ball. Nicely rounded stern, good balance, but looks like spray rails on the bow and 450 HP? No doubt, an interesting boat.

Attachments

• ABB75D9D-3C9A-47D9-928A-82DBEA55C55B.jpg
    ABB75D9D-3C9A-47D9-928A-82DBEA55C55B.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 101
Hate to say it, but she is gorgeous up close. I didn’t call the broker for a closer look as I’m too scared it could lead to stupid decisions.
ATTACH]

Oh dear...…..
That one is going to be trouble for sure!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom