Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad to see...

1999 Cape Horn steel beast at Beaufort NC. Been on the hard for 3 years but allegedly she ran fine when hauled. Main issue is untreated rust but the engine room gives the impression of a poor layout. With 3700 gals of fuel tanks, there probably wasn't a whole lot left for an engine room. She seems to be well equipped for crossing oceans. Don't see any mention of stabilizers but it looks like it has paravanes. Broker says price of $299K reflects current condition but I suspect a lot less could be negotiated.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/cape-horn-model-55-3596262/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• Cape Horn.jpg
    Cape Horn.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 114
1999 Cape Horn steel beast at Beaufort NC. Been on the hard for 3 years but allegedly she ran fine when hauled. Main issue is untreated rust but the engine room gives the impression of a poor layout. With 3700 gals of fuel tanks, there probably wasn't a whole lot left for an engine room. She seems to be well equipped for crossing oceans. Don't see any mention of stabilizers but it looks like it has paravanes. Broker says price of $299K reflects current condition but I suspect a lot less could be negotiated.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/cape-horn-model-55-3596262/?refSource=standard listing

Yikes. I think I have a little PTSD after looking at those pics. Big, badly maintained steel boats give me the willies.

ER is a shambles for the size of the boat.
May take a week to get all the misc our to the ER and the boat, to see what you have.
If you are serious, take 100K off the asking price after a successful survey and sea trial.

It does look like it was put away wet by its most recent owner. Got to wonder if it was an inheritance, or taken over by a street gang. She does appear to tell a story of more than one life. Feels like a pilot house saloon that makes me look at it and ask, “but where do I go to get comfortable”. I’m surprised it looks that cramped for the size of the vessel, but I get that with a lot of pilot house designs.

I get boat goggles on some pretty rough specimens, but this one leaves me confused and a little overwhelmed. I think the market on this one is in the <100k range.

The exterior looks like crap. A full sanding and paint job will be expensive.

Hard chine snap and a high pilot house make me wonder about rough water ride. Looks like it could bounce you off the walls pretty hard.

Pictures sure are pretty. The times are good. I like it but it would have to prove itself.

It needs a trip to a commercial shipyard for some catch-up work. I wouldn't take it to a pleasure boat yard.

I agree that the price is likely very flexible if they want to sell it.

Here is another Cape Horn 55 for sale - in much better condition. The engine room looks much different than the one above.

https://www.fbmarinegroup.com/inventory/2000-cape-horn-55-staugustine-fl-32084-2413020i

View attachment 95168

Much nicer engine room but no stabilizers. Can't find a mention of tankage either. Have to believe the boat on YW carries a lot more fuel since the listed draft between the two boats differs by almost a foot.

And it also doesn't have the ugly bulb. Much better condition for certain.

man you guys are critical,

the first one need work but it is a HUGE 55' go anywhere boat that is really well equipped.. look at the specs. yes the ER is packed with stuff, the exterior needs work, the interior needs to be detailed but the right person will some skills will get it and rehab it and be all in for under 400k.

I personally would look at it if I was a few years closer to heading offshore again.
HOLLYWOOD

These are fine looking boats but ...

Most of us are not going to buy too many $400K boats in our lives and won't have that much time to enjoy them. How many do-overs can you plan for? Gotta get it right.

Agree about stabilizers. Stabilizers look like essential equipment on these boats.

Greetings,
Mr. Gd. Thanks, that IS interesting. Vague write-up IMO. 750HP and they talk about puttering around at 5-6 knots. Sounds like it's overpowered by about 700HP. WAY too much wasted space. So is this FRP over wood?

ER looks beautiful!

I hope the next buyer "is a big fan of industrial design" too.... We suspect William Garden designed her....oh please.

There is some really nice systems installation on that boat though.

The wheelhouse looks like the Theodore Tugboat cartoon character... Maybe some creative pain and a boat biz op?

Last edited:
Hey, Hey! Lighten up on kidding this work oriented beauty boat!! :ermm: :D

I think she's pretty cool! :thumb:

Would like to know her preferred cruise speed on full plane. And, what's her speed at WOT?? :socool:

My wife thought this "pretentious". I thought it beautiful...and I don't even own a helicopter!:D

I’ve been on that Benford. If all boats are female, then this one is a brute of a German mountain woman by the name of Gotha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom