Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to post this advert for a Murray River paddle-boat. Nice river pics too. These boats in original form were used for river transport, before transport changed, and before rainfall and flow became less of a concern. There are still some original steamer ones operating, usually for tourism.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...tom-andrew-cook-shipwright-paddle-boat/208851
The videos alone are worth a look.

Last edited:
US River steam boats

In 1860, at the start of the US Civil War-- it is estimated that there were over 50000 steam powered boats operating on the rivers of the United States.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Now THAT'S an interesting boat! Rustic is the best term I can use for the interior, ahem, appointments AND!!!! NO ER PICTURES!!!

I have no concept as to whether or not the price is high, low or average. Ad says "One of the best...". Are these somewhat common vessels on the Murray River?

So who wrote the ad? The broker? He/she really needs to brush up on his/her measurement skills: Draft: 350 mil????? Is that 350mm or .35m? That's slightly over 1 foot (12").

She IS beamy but high (windage). I wonder how she would do in a stiff cross-breeze and with her freeboard, how she would do in 3' to 4' waves. Not too well, I expect.

Last edited:
The interior is a bit disappointing. Needs to be redone in a sort of 'whore house' red velvet and dark wood decor. Plus a steam powered key board to announce your approach, on the upper deck.
By the way, how many cows can be transported on the lower deck and how much fire wood?
(tongue in cheek)
Pilot down the ICW and you will draw attention..... I guess it can only be an end of the dock. Very beamy.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Troy Spring Civil War Barge.jpg
    Troy Spring Civil War Barge.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 548
Greetings,
Mr. OD. With a 12" (aprox.?) draft you wouldn't have to worry about tides.
In "a land of droughts and flooding rains"our rivers are not consistently supplied with water, are shallow,shoaling may vary, so 12" draught makes sense. Sometimes rivers cease to be navigable beyond a certain point. Generally a knowledge of the river and bottom movement is necessary for navigation. I don`t think there are tides except near the river mouth. I would not expect wind or other waves of consequence.
The old original boats I`ve seen are typically roughly or simply fitted out. This one has that home built interior look, but the originals were basic too, carried all sorts of cargo, and certainly lacked leather upholstered sofas.
Indeed, no ER pics, but I doubt it would be an abomination down there. One 65hp engine driving the wheels, maybe a genset. Wonder if you can brake one wheel and run the other, to steer. Or run one fwd,one reverse, to steer.
I liked the pic of it next to a modern houseboat,typical of those for charter on the rivers. Pulling up for the night somewhere, shore access by a plank, is apparently the norm but requires the right approach. There is a passenger paddlewheeler doing 3-7 day trips, carries several hundred pax, but it`s pricy, and I can foresee trips being limited by lack of river flow.
Much of Australia is in the grip of as bad a drought as most remember, with some rural towns running out of water, and endless fights between irrigators, towns, farmers,and environmentalists over not enough water. It`s not pretty out there, lots of fish deaths in oxygen deprived water. Sydney`s dams are at 50% so the desal plant is out of "care & maintenance" and running flat out. But, it`s predicted to rain the next 2 days,hope it gets to the dam catchment areas. Or at least puts out the many bush fires burning along the east coast, even entering towns and villages,and rural properties with stock, fences, houses, and equipment lost. Just getting enough water to fight the fires is a problem.

Last edited:
1952 Classic Garden design

This woodie was totally restored in 2001 and perhaps needs another one now. The fold up wash basin in the head is literally over the top (of the head). The exhaust pipes are somewhat of a concern as they come up through the flybridge and appear to lack insulation but on the flip side, they should keep the flybridge nice and cozy for PNW boating. How can you beat 6'6" headroom in the ER? Was hoping the broker would remove the canvas and provide a good pic of the hydraulic windlass but that is not to be. The grayish wood or engineered flooring just doesn't look right. So is a $149K for this beauty a bargain or a reach?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1952/custom-garden-trawler-3585781/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• Garden design.jpg
    Garden design.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 65
So is a $149K for this beauty a bargain or a reach?

How much is a 70 year old wood boat worth? I think it’s just a personal call as to how much it is worth to someone to buy it as a fun toy.

From the ad we have absolutely no idea what condition it is in.

I would assume right off the top that you’d be out $50k at the boat yard after buying it just to make it sound and seaworthy.

So perhaps picking it up for $60-75k would be a good value.

Although I'm way past the years when I dealt with wood boats...

I think Katherine Jane is great! She has soul!! And, she was born same year as me.

Thanks for posting the link.

Dang purdy boat!

The grayish wood or engineered flooring just doesn't look right.

Looks like it might be Drop & Done vinyl plank flooring...easy to lift out as it isn't glued down.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]..." You’ll feel confident cruising in all conditions with the R-41 CB’s powerful and reliable twin Volvo Penta IPS400 drives"....[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I`d be anything but confident with those forward facing props. Do some online searching for the experiences of IPS owners, even those using Volvo qualified service agents. $15K rebuild if a seal fails and water gets in,is what what I read.
[/FONT]

IMG_1541.jpgIMG_1542.jpg

I passed this one in Fairport last week. I’ve never seen one like it before, but I really liked it. From forward it looked like someone took a sailboat and added a sweet pilothouse, but I’ve never seen a sailboat with a transom like that before.

Owl,
That was my first thought but I think we’re seeing a wider stern.
That could be done though. Take V shaped cuts and put it back together w a different shape. One would need some FG structural experience though. And some hull design knowledge wouldn’t hurt.

What do you think of this boat? Great deal or something wrong?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/diesel-duck-enhanced-50-3018317/

It could be either but a boat with a 6'6" draft will give you some challenges on the East Coast particularly on the ICW. There are no pics of the engine room. That raises a red flag with some folks. There is no mention of air conditioning or heating and metal boats can turn into a furnace in the Florida sun at this time of year. The wood working comes off as a hodgepodge of different woods and colors. She does seem well equipped for blue water cruising if that is what you are looking for. Might be worth a look but if you make an offer, get a good surveyor with metal boat experience.

I’ve seen that boat advertised off and on for a long time now. Perhaps the steelwork and systems were professionally built but the interior is definitely home-finished. See how “motivated” the seller is. I’d say off-hand that low 100’s would be a good deal and you’d have resale. Perhaps redo the interior a bit.

I'm not seriously looking at it, I was just curious what everyone's impression was. Thanks.

I was just curious what everyone's impression was.

Ducks are excellent sea boats. Well proven blue water. The original 38’ sailed Cape Horn and its esoteric big brother did the NW Passage.

But they are like sailboats inside with tiny portholes. They are totally different animals from a Hatteras or Defever LRC.

What do you think of this boat? Great deal or something wrong?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/diesel-duck-enhanced-50-3018317/

I have looked at this boat for years and also wondered about it. Is the higher draft because of the “enhancement” and extra weight? I wonder how that impacts the seaworthiness of the hull? I saw it out of the water once cruising down the Okeechobee Canal, I think it was at Glades Boatyard, and it looked huge.

The interior has always seemed pretty terrible looking to me— especially the curtains “separating” the front cabin. Maybe it looks better in person, but the interior looks terrible in those pics IMO.

I have looked at this boat for years and also wondered about it. Is the higher draft because of the “enhancement” and extra weight? I wonder how that impacts the seaworthiness of the hull? I saw it out of the water once cruising down the Okeechobee Canal, I think it was at Glades Boatyard, and it looked huge.

The interior has always seemed pretty terrible looking to me— especially the curtains “separating” the front cabin. Maybe it looks better in person, but the interior looks terrible in those pics IMO.
I wonder if that boat was built by a pro yard and finished by the original owners. George makes reference to a few being done this way in his books. One was a 38 and another was a 41, IIRC. If I knew exactly which model the boat is based on, I could check my books and see if the specs are in there. He had several different versions of each boat he sold plans for. I've been looking for a set of plans for Jullian Adderly and Captain Eddie. I have the micro size basic plan sets in his books for both. I need a bit more info to build. It's in the note pages of his plan sets.

Back
Top Bottom