Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Newb*, can't post photos yet, but I have an "Interesting Boat" and this is why I am rejoining the forum again. I apologize that I am intruding in the conversation, I found it fascinating that this thread existed partly because I know the very boat that started the thread (Romsdahl built "Ulysses"), I lusted after her around the time that photo was posted (2013) but could not convince myself to by a steel boat. This thread has lived on!

I ended up buying, and currently own, a 54' Canoe Stern Trawler, a fiberglass hull with full keel, single screw and built in Chesapeake Bay...making this US built boat very unique. I'm not sure how to post my own photos but I stumbled onto this website where the author saw me cruising the Atlantic ICW, snapped a photo a posted the pic on November 24, 2018. Look for "Esprit", 2 photos, and yes, she hails from Seward Alaska (I'm from Alaska) but she has lived on the East coast, Bahamas and the Caribbean.

image025.jpg

*It has been 6 years since I last posted here. I was locked out of old account and don't have access to the email anymore.

Very, very, nice. You have good taste sir!

I am quite fond of Canoe sterns. If I see a fantail, I stop and stare and get a dumb look on my face.

This one was berthed here in Campbell River for the last 2-3 years. Although I was never onboard, she absolutely sparkled on the outside; she appeared to be brand new.

The name "Klatawa" appears on the vanity plates of a friend of ours, neighbour in our Snowbird community in Indio. All of John's boats were Klatawa, based in Gig Harbour.

50' Willard

leeman,
Also from Alaska .. Juneau. But living now in northwestern Wash.

You're boat is very simillar to the prototype 50' Willard (photo).
Never came to pass but there was considerable interest. I think the 36' Willard is too big so this big boat stuff is not for me. all 36 Willards were made in the 60's. But most on TF think "bigger is better" re anchors or boats.
Think this is is a picture taken by myself of a magazine page. PMM I think.

Here's another similar boat.
But this boat has a wheelhouse further aft. Probably for the same reason North Sea boats prefer the same location.

Attachments

• DSCF2086 copy.jpg
    DSCF2086 copy.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 68
  • all to 12-15-09 533 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 533 copy 2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Eric - Thanks for photos. Couple of beauts!

But mainly

You have great taste in boats:thumb:
for the hull form I work, for two of them, with the same NA : Michel Joubert .
He made the the hull form end for the rest he said : do by it yourself :)
But in total we own 5 boat designed by the same architect
Chassiron GC fiberglass/wooden deck 10.45 m ketch
Damien II steel schooner 14.15 m
Oaristys steel ketch 18m he made the hull drawing and sail plan (we do the rest)
Hoa LC62 aloy "passagemaker" 19.45 m he made the hull lines (we do the rest)
Trawler 72 21.34 m hull length he made all the drawing ( we do ...nothing, for the moment :whistling:)

The more "multi-purpose" was Hoa LC62

Alden Motor Sailer (1964 woodie)

If it looks like a duck ... Well, it kinda sorta looks like a trawler but it is indeed a motor sailor. The broker calls it "vessel with provenance" which is kind of a head scratcher. There aren't a lot of pics unless you are a member of Boatshed but I was impressed with pic of the anchor lying on the deck. She won't stop your drooling over a Nordhavn 56' motor sailor but at less than one tenth the cost, she might have possibilities.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1964/alden-57-trawler-3541948/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• Alden Motor Sailer.jpg
    Alden Motor Sailer.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 70
Donsan,
Nice easy user name, thanks.
Don’t look like a Duck to me.
And what looks like a full rig of sails on what looks like a SD hull ... ???
An odd duck at that ... PI

Mr. “Provenance” should discard those two silly masts and stop pretending to be something she’s not.

If it looks like a duck ... Well, it kinda sorta looks like a trawler but it is indeed a motor sailor. The broker calls it "vessel with provenance" which is kind of a head scratcher. There aren't a lot of pics unless you are a member of Boatshed but I was impressed with pic of the anchor lying on the deck. She won't stop your drooling over a Nordhavn 56' motor sailor but at less than one tenth the cost, she might have possibilities.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1964/alden-57-trawler-3541948/?refSource=standard listing

Provenance for sure (a great pedigree(?))
Getting into the boatshed photos is worthwhile. Lots of really good ideas in a traditional trawler. Old and needs some care, but generally in good condition for its age. Lots of possibilities and good value if she surveys out.

Provenance for sure (a great pedigree(?))
Getting into the boatshed photos is worthwhile. Lots of really good ideas in a traditional trawler. Old and needs some care, but generally in good condition for its age. Lots of possibilities and good value if she surveys out.

She seems really nice. But... Ya gotta like to work on wood - often and a lot! Or, have fat enough wallet for others to consistently do your bidding.

Viking 70ish across from me?? The boat in front of the Viking is a Defever 49 PH.

20190517_074159.jpg

Congratulations on the new clorox bottle! With all of the room you have now, you could have kept the Camano inside.

wonder if Beneteau glanced at that while designing the ST42/44?

Congratulations on the new clorox bottle! With all of the room you have now, you could have kept the Camano inside.

Thanks! Dude, its AMAZING how much they packed into a 35 foot hull. What a perfect platform for a liveaboard who is a NOT a dock queen.

That is a very nice Duck. Appears well built, and I like planked wood over plywood/glass. However no way for $200k. 2013 is very young, but likely will sell for about 1/2 to 1/3 that.

Pilot house catamaran houseboat

No ducks about this one. I was unfamiliar with Carri-crafts until this one popped up. Seems like a decent price for a twin diesel 57' 97,000 pound boat at $60K USD. Only 60 cents a pound!
The swimming pool ladder on the starboard side seems misplaced since it doesn't reach the water level but it might be for climbing from a dock. Wonder if the Perkins run? Be sure to notice the cowbell hanging in the pilothouse.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/carri-craft-570-catamaran-3542432/?refSource=standard listing

Pilot house catamaran houseboat

No ducks about this one. I was unfamiliar with Carri-crafts until this one popped up. Seems like a decent price for a twin diesel 57' 97,000 pound boat at $60K USD. Only 60 cents a pound!

The swimming pool ladder on the starboard side seems misplaced since it doesn't reach the water level but it might be for climbing from a dock. Wonder if the Perkins run? Be sure to notice the cowbell hanging in the pilothouse.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/carri-craft-570-catamaran-3542432/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 103
Dosan,
Finally an interesting boat.
Carri Craft ... yes and this one is even odd/interesting for a Carri Craft.
Those “lips” fwd on the sides will probably make enough spray for five boats.
Looks like there’s a normal Carri under the lippy thing and they just put lippy on top.
Considering the rest the PH isn’t that bad.
Think thearch will hold up a radar antenna?

Dosan,
Finally an interesting boat.
Carri Craft ... yes and this one is even odd/interesting for a Carri Craft.
Think thearch will hold up a radar antenna?

Hmmm, no mention of a generator.
West coast boat, no mention of the air conditioning.
Judging of the water line paint, needs a serious bottom job.

Back
Top Bottom