Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone know the story behind Iron Will? She is advertised as a 2007 custom Scott Sprague but looks like an older boat design. Even Mark Pierce would like this one - she is a steel hull powered by a 120hp Lugger. Doesn't seem like a bad price for a 48' boat but the beam is relatively narrow. Why are all the cool boats on the west coast?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/custom-sprague-3517447/?refSource=standard listing

A buddy looked at it seriously, aboard for a thorough inspection, some time underway, but didn't pursue the purchase. It's an estate sale of sorts, lots of surviving family members involved. Not finished before death of original owner. Lightly used by surviving family members.

In Washington if a boat is in Washington waters for any more than 60 days in a 365 day period starting from the first day of the vessel entering said waters must obtain a use permit. Having spent most of my life in Washington I know that there are people who live in the adjoining states that work in Washington that drive their cars with out-of-state plates into Washington daily that are not required to get Washington state registration. What is the difference between them using the Washington state inferstructer and a vessel that just sits in the water?

I agree. It’s sweet. And I like the orange!

But not very long range at about 600 gallons of fuel if I’m reading that right. Those two engines probably burn at least 5 gallons per hour combined right?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Anyone know the story behind Iron Will? She is advertised as a 2007 custom Scott Sprague.... Even Mark Pierce would like this one - she is a steel hull powered by a 120hp Lugger...
It`s "Luggers" not "Lugger", therefore it earns markpierce disapproval.

Twins driving a single prop for those that like to look at engines. :)
Very economical, easy to run on one engine or shut one down for maintenance.

Pilot boat company that serviced our Stevedoring pilotage requirements,was a Ex-Army harbor tug. Somewhere along the way if not in the Army service, it aquired four 671 Gray Marine (So I think Army) diesels married to a single Falk Gear. single shaft. You could use any combination. Funny story-The tug was employed to assist in pushing the four hatch loaded lumber/log carrier from the dock, the pilot onboard called down to the tug for 1/4. (We on the dock, were on the VHF as agents). The tug responded with "1/4 ahead". Nothing. The pilot called for 1/2 ahead. the tug responded with "!/2 ahead". Nothing, the pilot called for 3/4 ahead and then full ahead as nothing was moving. My boss, on the dock aside with me asked for the radio. He called the Tug- "Capt, how many engines do you have on line?" "One" was the response. My boss blew a fuse!! "Cod Damn It!!, I pay you for four, put four on or quit!". True Story.:D

I posted this elsewhere some weeks back:
1990 Sunnfjord 32 "Whaleback" albeit fully customized at the factory as compared to standard Whaleback. She's a taller small pilothouse with lower aft cabin and ... the smokestack (housing a steep staircase up to pilothouse). Powered by original 210 Cummins.

Attachments

• Equinox.jpg
    Equinox.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 103
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but damn that’s an ugly misporportioned mess.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but damn that’s an ugly misporportioned mess.

All boats are somebody's baby, and we shouldn't call someone's baby ugly. However, in this case, we can make an exception....:angel:

Thirty five years ago I rented one for skiing. Massive snow storm in the Rockies with many highways snarled or shutdown. With its great 4wd setup we went did great. Long before the ubiquitous AWD setups that followed. A real collectors item today to buy and hang on to. Along with the AMC Javelin that is even higher on the want it list.

As one who's had two of these, I would respectfully disagree.

All boats are somebody's baby, and we shouldn't call someone's baby ugly. However, in this case, we can make an exception....:angel:

When our daughter was a baby an older lady came up to us and said, "What a beautiful baby! You are so lucky...I had ugly babies".

Agree. I worked on it for a while but couldn’t find a way to smooth it out. Then I remembered an old trick I learned from Mark and Eric about “if nothing else works, add a flybridge”, and voila!

Attachments

• ED586383-CC80-4FA7-9A04-D6E07D182C48.jpg
    ED586383-CC80-4FA7-9A04-D6E07D182C48.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 117
Agree. I worked on it for a while but couldn’t find a way to smooth it out. Then I remembered an old trick I learned from Mark and Eric about “if nothing else works, add a flybridge”, and voila!

It now looks tall enough to see 12 miles over the horizon

Originally Posted by healhustler View Post

Changing proportion dosn’t change something from good looking to ugly. The proportion here on this thread is used to call something bad entirly because it’s unusual. There are people that think anything unusual is unacceptable ugly or otherwise undesirable. Proportion dosn’t change something into an ugly thing. Unusual yes but not ugly.
The image is in the eye of the beholder but not the understanding of the beauty or uglyness therein. People that study and have experience with the elements of art and design know beauty or uglyness when they see it .. usually. They know the difference. However it isn’t black and white always like a number but most of the time the difference can be determined. However associations can at times interfere with perception.

As to “if nothing else works, add a flybridge” that can lead to normality or what we’re used to seeing. And if it’s unusual it will likely be seen as ugly. An abrasive image. But the elements of art and design being line, light, texture, shape, color and similar things will determine if it’s beautiful or not. Changing the aspect ratio of the image of a vehicle will not change the elements of art or/and design.

Last edited:
Guys what is meant by "whaleback?" Are you just referring to the raised foc'a'l or what?

Last edited:
Nordic Tug Prototype

New dock neighbor, a obvious 26 foot Nordic Tug hull with a different house. Spoke to the owner, (3'd) who indicated it to be the prototype hull. I asked about the house which is quite different. Owner only knew the boat was built in l980 which seems about the time Nordic Tug started. The power is original 4-236 Perkins and the boat had been on the hard for 12 years prior to this ownership.
I inquired of Nordic Tug without a response, as to the orthogonality of the indicated remark on this being the original. :dance:
Nordic Tug 2.png

New dock neighbor, a obvious 26 foot Nordic Tug hull with a different house. Spoke to the owner, (3'd) who indicated it to be the prototype hull. I asked about the house which is quite different. Owner only knew the boat was built in l980 which seems about the time Nordic Tug started. The power is original 4-236 Perkins and the boat had been on the hard for 12 years prior to this ownership.
I inquired of Nordic Tug without a response, as to the orthogonality of the indicated remark on this being the original. :dance:
View attachment 86492

I have seen boats stripped to the stringers and rebuilt with a completely different cabin. I don't know if it's been done to a Nordic but that is kind of what that boat looks like to me. If so, the company may never acknowledge it's existence unless they had a hand in the build.

Riviera 47 without FB

Riviera does build non FB boats,but not a 47, in 2003. I`m not sure they ever built a 47. The clue is in the brokers words, out of "misfortune". Maybe it went under a low bridge,or the FB was hit with a crane, who knows, maybe the broker. But for Aussies, and those outside Oz with a sneaking admiration for Rivs,it is interesting, and for a planing cruiser, not bad looking. My guide dog certainly thought it was.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/riviera-47-custom-coupe/228769

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom