Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be still my beating heart
I have come back to this one a few times, every time I see her my heart skips a beat and I think surely she can't go any lower yet here she is.

0_4.jpg

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...iser-make-an-offer-owner-wants-it-sold/227546
Simi you almost killed me, I did no miss an heartbeat, after having seen her my wife had to restart my heart with a defibrillator!

L

Bruce, agree that it is a classic - we call them Bay Cruisers up here. Curious about the 2nd wheel..........
Me too. It might control the fwd/rev,there is a sliding lever slot behind it,not sure what that`s for either. And the ? throttle lever on top of the "dash" doesn`t look like the usual combined gear/throttle control. I`ll be interested what others think.

29' Panga with insulated heated cabin, head, etc, designed for an Alaskan customer who wanted an ocean capable (within reason) boat that could access large lakes by running up shallow rivers (scroll down past index)

https://allmandboats.com/Fishing_Boats/Panga_Cabin_Boat/index.html

AND favored by drug smugglers and pirates. Now that's an interesting endorsement. LOL

Considering it is classified as a comfortable fishing boat, I cannot find fault.
For a loop boat, it satisfies the minimum requirements. I did not notice a stove nor fridge. I guess the stove should be LP and the fridge, 12vt.

East coast boat needs a roof top reversible A/C. While we are at it, maybe a couple of solar panels too.

I would consider sacrificing some of the cockpit for a larger interior, for storage.

Last edited:
AND favored by drug smugglers and pirates. Now that's an interesting endorsement. LOL

Considering it is classified as a comfortable fishing boat, I cannot find fault.
For a loop boat, it satisfies the minimum requirements. I did not notice a stove nor fridge. I guess the stove should be LP and the fridge, 12vt.

East coast boat needs a roof top reversible A/C. While we are at it, maybe a couple of solar panels too.

I would consider sacrificing some of the cockpit for a larger interior, for storage.

What Dan said. :thumb:

If we opted for a smaller trailerable boat, I could see this Panga working for us.

We'd use it much like a sea kayak, in that the majority of sleeping and cooking would be done ashore. This works for us because we live in a wilderness area and go ashore daily to photograph/explore anyways. If we could fit 2 months of food & gear into sea kayaks, storage shouldn't be a problem on a Panga.

The major limiting factor would be the steep, short frequency waves we get around here from winds funnelling down long mountainous inlets. The ability to get up rivers and through skinny water would make up for the teeth rattling performance while pounding into steep waves, but those would be hiking days, not travel days anyways.

Here's a pretty slick method for anchoring a small boat out past the low tide line in areas with large tides:

Anchor-Buoy-Pulley System for Anchoring Boats From Shore

Read an article recently about a fisherman lost at sea in the Pacific for over 400 days in a Panga. He tied floats to a line and let it drift off the stern to keep from surfing. Pretty good test for any boat, I'd say.

Last edited:
Your avatar looks to be of the same breed line as a Panga...what is it?
That is a 27' Sitka offshore power dory designed by Jeff Spira and built by Raymond Pollock of Minnesota. I was hoping to build the 30' version with the V entry bow. Health took that off the table a few years back. It may still happen if my friend and I can't nail down a contract between us to build Spira's 55' Tanuki. Jeff has some easy to build Panga designs. He will also design a larger boat for someone willing to commit to buying plans. His plans are not expensive at all compared to other designers. His designs are easy to build and a bit faster to get a completed hull ready for fit out.

More info.

Spira International Inc - Sitka Offshore Pacific Power Dory

Boatbuilding Tips and Tricks

Left column and third block down are the Panga designs.
Spira Boats - Wood Boat Plans, Wooden Boat Plans

Saw this at the LaConner boat and car show a few years ago.

Attachments

• DSCF1580.jpg
    DSCF1580.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF1581.jpg
    DSCF1581.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 68
This is fairly interesting: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/custom/221382
It doesn`t look it`s 48ft. Amazing condition for age, inside and out. Can`t be much doubt it`s an FD hull. A classic Queensland cruiser, with Gardner.

Needs a bigger satellite dish!

looks like its set up to anchor out and not travel too much.. lots of stuffed heaped on that boat for sure.

Second wheel for controlling a adjustable pitch prop?

Definitely a function over form design..

Love those boats from down south!

HOLLYWOOD

That is a 27' Sitka offshore power dory designed by Jeff Spira and built by Raymond Pollock of Minnesota. I was hoping to build the 30' version with the V entry bow. Health took that off the table a few years back. It may still happen if my friend and I can't nail down a contract between us to build Spira's 55' Tanuki. Jeff has some easy to build Panga designs. He will also design a larger boat for someone willing to commit to buying plans. His plans are not expensive at all compared to other designers. His designs are easy to build and a bit faster to get a completed hull ready for fit out.

More info.

Spira International Inc - Sitka Offshore Pacific Power Dory

Boatbuilding Tips and Tricks

Left column and third block down are the Panga designs.
Spira Boats - Wood Boat Plans, Wooden Boat Plans

Looks quick to build, but completely flat on the bottom?

Tolman Skiffs have the hard won respect of Alaskan commecial fishers:

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/tolman-skiff-jumbo

Needs a bigger satellite dish!
looks like its set up to anchor out and not travel too much.. lots of stuffed heaped on that boat for sure.
Second wheel for controlling a adjustable pitch prop?
Definitely a function over form design..

HOLLYWOOD

They need a big sat dish because they have a 48inch flat screen?

I too wondered about the second wheel. My thoughts too, variable pitch propeller but, no mention of it in the description.

Hey "function over form" aint that bad. It is called "comfort".

Last edited:
The pangas seem similar to a C-Dory in the shape of the hull fact that an inner liner is not used during construction. Interesting.

Irene,
The C Dories are mostly with normal length to beam ratio whereas the panga's are not normal in this regard. Long and narrow. Otherwise they'd be a "skiff".

MurrayM wrote;
"Tolman Skiffs have the hard won respect of Alaskan commecial fishers:"

Yes that's true but I see nothing special about them. Perhaps someone could lead me into the light.
In SE Alaska they all but worship a C Dory sized boat called a Parker. I assume they are well built and they have a very nice looking cabin but beyond that I see nothing special about them either.

Murray also wrote;
"Looks quick to build, but completely flat on the bottom?"

Yes as are most Spira boats. I like them but of course they no doubt pound quite a bit or worse but they take verry little power for good moderate speed. This is what I like most about them. Don't like the bow swooped up (much too high IMO) but it's cute/salty and prolly sells boat plans. I prefer the Spira boats w much more flare like the "Cariolina" boats. All of them are easy builds and they don't get much more difficult to build as bigger boats. There's a "V" bottomed version of some boats but still close to a flat bottom. The 15' Carolina is just about the same as the 26' boat. These boats are really easy to build compared to the very popular 26' Bartender (for example). My favorite Spira boat is the 26' Key Largo.

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

Rough comparisons would have a Tolman Skiff about 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the cost of a Parker, plus you get all the hairy chested bragging rights of building it yourself.

Murray Yea I can't believe the prices they want for those Parker's. I would't buy one at 1/4 the price.
You see them in Canada too?

Murray Yea I can't believe the prices they want for those Parker's. I would't buy one at 1/4 the price.
You see them in Canada too?

Parker's on BC's north coast? Nope...mostly Sea Sport and Arima's in boats of that ilk.

Depending on design, yes a flat bottom unless using an inboard engine, which I would.

I looked deeply at the Tolman deigns. I'm not a fan of the stitch-n-glue method. I prefer solid framing over plywood bulkheads.

There is no perfect boat...just one with the least amount of compromises relative to its use/owner.

60’ Precision

New member here and am looking for a boat. Saw this one last fall in Anacortes. It’s been on Yachtworld for a little while. Anyone else taken a look at it?

Attachments

• 2CF79CB6-DBE5-4E36-B86C-E850A6948474.jpg
    2CF79CB6-DBE5-4E36-B86C-E850A6948474.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 113

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom