Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I don’t know...following Arctic Terns on their 12,000 mile per year migratory path for a few seasons might be a cool thing to do :socool:

Gotta stop in for food somewhere too.

Greetings,
Quite eccentric decor but nice. Pretty well the only thing I might question is the use of what appears to be ceramic tiles in the ER. Slipperier than a wet eel if a bit oily IMO.

Galt Won checks a lot of boxes for me. At least the romantic version of what a PNW cruiser should be. Love it. I can see a lot of resemblance to the fixtures on Northern Spy, as it is the same vintage. Looks just like something out of one of Ferenc Mate's, "The Finely Fitted Yacht" volumes.

Spotted this stunning boat in the Johnston River Innisfail FNQ.
She's wood, originally from Tasmania and was a cray boat in a previous life and powered with a Gardner 6. I liked how the owner retained the pot pulling winch on the starboard side - would make a ripping good winch to apply stern anchor tension and retrieval.

Attachments

• DSC03494 (Small).JPG
    DSC03494 (Small).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC03497 (Small).JPG
    DSC03497 (Small).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC03498 (Small).JPG
    DSC03498 (Small).JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC03499 (Small).JPG
    DSC03499 (Small).JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Spotted this stunning boat in the Johnston River Innisfail FNQ.
She's wood, originally from Tasmania and was a cray boat in a previous life. Wooden and powered with a Gardner 6. I liked how the owner retained the pot pulling winch on the starboard side - would make a ripping good winch to apply stern anchor tension and retrieval.

Dang purdy arse!

Greetings,
Not an ER picture in sight and what the heck is Roplene? Best I could figure is wood covered with FRP of some sort...

Greetings,
Not an ER picture in sight and what the heck is Roplene? Best I could figure is wood covered with FRP of some sort...

I liked the robust gnarly weather shrugging form.

Not sure about the roplene thing either...best I could find after a 15 second search was that it is plastic, as in roto-molded plastic.

Apparently there were some commercial sized fishing boats made ‘across the pond’ with this method, but the motorsailer listed is described as having a wood hull.

Greetings,

Yea, disappointed about the lack of ER pictures.

www.thehulltruth.com/.../449892-roplene.html
Roplene is LDPE plastic (low density polyethylene) The boats are roto-molded as one piece with no hull/deck joint. The hulls are more flexible than fiberglass and they absorb shock well. They are kind of a pain to attach things like accessories and applying bottom paint so that it doesn't peel off is challenging.

Roplene is LDPE plastic (low density polyethylene) The boats are roto-molded as one piece with no hull/deck joint. The hulls are more flexible than fiberglass and they absorb shock well. They are kind of a pain to attach things like accessories and applying bottom paint so that it doesn't peel off is challenging.

A Clorox bottle with an engine and sails. :lol:

Nother item on Roplene. That material interests me.

Tough Boat - Boating World

Nother item on Roplene. That material interests me.

Tough Boat - Boating World
I have a 15 foot tri-hull (15' Boston Whaler clone) made of the Roplene material. I love it but mine isn't finished all smooth and fancy like the Triumph in your link. Mine was an unfinished hull from a builder that went bust not long after getting started. Kind of a rough industrial finish that I complimented with galvanized cleats and hardware when I finished her. Thick material, reported to be at least 1/2 inch thick minimum. I believe it. Smooth ride, reportedly due to flex similar to a wood hull. Doesn't have the loud slap from waves like GRP and aluminum. Did I say mine is an EXACT duplicate of an early 15' Boston Whaler. Obviously used one for a plug for the mold.

I have a 15 foot tri-hull (15' Boston Whaler clone) made of the Roplene material. I love it but mine isn't finished all smooth and fancy like the Triumph in your link. Mine was an unfinished hull from a builder that went bust not long after getting started. Kind of a rough industrial finish that I complimented with galvanized cleats and hardware when I finished her. Thick material, reported to be at least 1/2 inch thick minimum. I believe it. Smooth ride, reportedly due to flex similar to a wood hull. Doesn't have the loud slap from waves like GRP and aluminum. Did I say mine is an EXACT duplicate of an early 15' Boston Whaler. Obviously used one for a plug for the mold.

Interesting - Thanks!

Looking forward to more information on this newly listed 53' Seaton steel trawler. Love the understated, all business look from the outside.

https://moreboats.com/boats/seaton/pilothouse-trawler/248777

That one has been on the market for a number of years, but apparently has a new broker. The last listing I saw of it was around $100K more and had no interior to speak of.
The Leishman version of Voyaging Under Power featured this model, complete with plans etc. There is at least one other completed version of it out there somewhere, called Sluggo. Or at least that was its name in the past.
This one has an aluminum house.

Sea Biscuit is now ours, and insured:

She is lying at Horizon Shores Marina, Queensland, and we will be driving her back here to Greenwell Point some time in December. She is 39'6", and displaces 15 tons.

The next step is antifoul, Propspeed, new anodes (she is fully bonded) and the fitting of essential instruments (VHF, radar, GPS). We will be servicing the engine and generator. We will work on her at the marina, and set off only when she's ready.

Thanks to BruceK for the heads-up (and to think: it was only the dog he really liked!).

Attachments

• Sea Biscuit.jpg
    Sea Biscuit.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Kit_L Welcome to the wonderful world of boating.
".... when it is ready." Make a list of 'must do' so you know when it is ready.
The next layer of 'things to do', you can do next year or when it is convenient.

Last edited:
Mr RTF: thank you!
OldDan: most definitely; the list is already started. The present list is safety and function only, ahead of the 500-odd NM return journey. Next year is a sabbatical for us (why academics use "sabbatical" instead of "break" I will never know) but 2019 is the year of the fit-out, where we will fit the boat to us.

sabbatical (adj.)

1640s, "of or suitable for the Sabbath," from Latin sabbaticus, from Greek sabbatikos "of the Sabbath" (see Sabbath). Noun meaning "a year's absence granted to researchers" (originally one year in seven, to university professors) is from 1934, short for sabbatical year, etc., first recorded 1886 (the thing itself is attested from 1880, at Harvard), related to sabbatical year (1590s) in Mosaic law, the seventh year, in which land was to remain untilled and debtors and slaves released.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom