Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A truly interesting boat.
Wonder why the prop is raked so?
I suspect she’s a fiberglassed wood boat.

What saved my ass was my prenup.
She even wanted visitation rights to my Nordhavn46.

Hey, I bought a used 2015 MKZ for 25000 about a year ago.
The LAST divorce, at least 5+ years ago.
Age difference about 4 years.

:thumb: :dance: :whistling: :speed boat: :D

Wow. The battleship is cool for sure. And when you get waked you can shoot the offender with the water cannon! If you are still upright that is. [emoji12]

Wow. The battleship is cool for sure. And when you get waked you can shoot the offender with the water cannon! If you are still upright that is. [emoji12]

Lmao. I was thinking the same thing. Needs a water cannon or Spud gun.

We did a 10-day cruise on a crewed 80-foot barge some years ago and saw many charmless "penichettes" (bumper boats as our captain sneered), but I really like this little "cutie" and would seriously consider such a charter.

Canal trial last year (one nice Jolly Dutchman with all bells and whistles, was for sale), quite small keel good for shallows but drift when windy, narrow hull good for trailering, sail-drive, water-ballast to get the boat level and some steadier...

For one same boat length, in France, canal and sea taxes, marina fees are the same whatever beam size.

I'ld purchase an old canal small barge such as "Pénichette 930", same length but 45cm wider beam than JD and deeper keel: steady boat, heavy grp 3.5t, silent small engine (20-28hp) at a good place (inboard in a bulb inside the keel), low windage, strong guard-rails, manageable gangways and toilets; nice view from inside, good kitchen area (width), 2 sliding-doors... classic canal-boat looking. Fiche bateau PENICHETTE 930

Last edited:
I had often wondered if a canal boat would work as a looper. Let's face it, if one stays in the AICW it sure would bring some class to the ditch.
In the wider part if the ICW, stick close to shore for safety and to give folks an opportunity to see a real canal boat.

I had often wondered if a canal boat would work as a looper. Let's face it, if one stays in the AICW it sure would bring some class to the ditch.
In the wider part if the ICW, stick close to shore for safety and to give folks an opportunity to see a real canal boat.

Dan - That could become your gift of "class" to the boating world! Do it!!! :thumb:

I'll watch on TF as you post photos :popcorn:

Last edited:

I've seen this discussed many times over on boat design forum. The consensus is that the wide beam barge boats would work well but the narrow, usually under 7 feet wide, would not work so well. They would want to roll to much. Most of them have a draft of less than three feet and the ones over 12 foot in beam are usually two feet of draft or slightly less. The later having a lower hull similar to that of a Sea Bright tunnel hull. Almost all of them have a full keel with a protected rudder and prop.

I almost decided to build this barge for the Loop, until my health caught up to me.

32x10 Motor Barge by Selway-Fisher. I think it would be a pretty good loop boat. Low power, long range, everything is on one level, and it's laid out like a small apartment.
MB32d1.gif

Motor Boats over 30'

Nice Motor Barge design, ben2go, and good to have only one level for living aboard the small apartment.

Yes, narrow beam tends to roll...may be increasing when rounded chines?
And as you tell then draft should be bigger, when it's quite small in the Jolly Dutchman (most draft at skeg)...

Also narrow beam can make you feel a little bored at the end of the day when the boat leans/tips a little under your weight each time you're coming in or walking the gangway.

Last edited:
Art,
Don’t you remember the pics Al posted about 8 years ago?
I’ve always heard of then refered to as “Poulsbo Boats”.
When I was a young man I lusted badly for them. Think the 18’ was the biggest ever made.

Hi Art, Eric,

Eric is correct, they are known as 'Poulsbo Boats,' I errored. Art, in the day, knowledge of applied fiberglassing was a seek and find. My Brother in Law, who acquired the boat in very sad condition, was advised by the shipwright who replaced the keel and bowstem, that fiberglassing was the really only option to retain the boat in a seaworthy condition. My BIL took that literally and used several layers of woven cloth topped by a couple of fine mesh cloth. He did not apply staples, which later was suggested to eliminate slippage of the wood from the glass as the wood swelled with moisture.
It has not be an issue due to the strength of the many layers. I swear, while the wood is a solid and secure as can be, the use of staples would have been duplicity at its greatest. Yes, the boat is heavy. the full hull is fiberglassed to that degree, the deck and cabin is natural wood. Red and Yellow Cedar.
If the day arrived that a single boat were the choice, then this Poulsbo Boat would be the decision, no doubt.

Al-Ketchikan

Nice Motor Barge design, ben2go, and good to have only one level for living aboard the small apartment.

Yes, narrow beam tends to roll...may be increasing when rounded chines?
And as you tell then draft should be bigger, when it's quite small in the Jolly Dutchman (most draft at skeg)...

Also narrow beam can make you feel a little bored at the end of the day when the boat leans/tips a little under your weight each time you're coming in or walking the gangway.

Yes, as we age, going up and down as we pass through the boat can be difficult.

Round chines can soften a boat and allow it to roll. Sure better for skeg or keel to be deeper for protection.

Rolling while boarding a boat can be scary for some people that are not used to it. I've been around smaller boats all my life. One of my J-boats I could sink just by shifting my weight wrong. Getting in it was simple. Step in the center and sit straight down. No lean left or right. That would dunk the gunnel and flood the hull.

Dan - That could become your gift of "class" to the boating world! Do it!!! :thumb:

I'll watch on TF as you post photos :popcorn:

Art, I dont have that kind of 'class', nor the time left to have one built.

I was think along the lines of a UK narrow boat.

6 things I would want are, AC/Heat, dry head, generator, bow thruster, washer/dryer, maybe a water maker too. The last thing is titled, "to be determined."

Trailerable mini-barge 26ft, from professionnal Boatbuilder Edmund Sylvester, some years ago, UK (ply/epoxy I beleive)
9k=

Attachments

• 26ft mini-barge from Edmund Sylvester.jpg
    26ft mini-barge from Edmund Sylvester.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 547
Anther view, 26ft mini-barge from Edmund Sylvester.

Attachments

• 26 ft mini-barge Edm. Sylvester.jpg
    26 ft mini-barge Edm. Sylvester.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 570
oldm - Nice looken mini barge. Love the nautical, big boat placement visual effect of Danforth style anchor on its prow.

Always wondered how you clean [dunk off mud etc] an anchor that is in that position on a boat. What happens if the anchor snagged a loose cable or line or something similar and brought it to the surface?? Boat hook I guess to work on that problem. If you did not see a snagged line, and it trailed back far enough while underway, seems the prop would get wound up.

Still from Edmund Sylvester, 45ft (15m) barge "le Bon Viveur"; bon viveur tells good red wine and low canal fees (south of France); they tell (review) the Bon Viveur is quite steady (with chines, V hull...) despite Mistral wind (strong North wind around 60km/h with squalls)

-1st photo and 2 drawings from "Fiche Bateau Bon Viveur" in "Fluvialnet": fluvialnet.com/fiches-bateaux/bon-viveur/568;
-link: ancient advert http://boatshed.com/inland_waterways_cruiser-boat-206711.html
-drawing in "Fluvial" review (clic "le bon viveur"):Revue Fluvial articles magazine fluvial

Attachments

• Le Bon Viveur photo.jpg
    Le Bon Viveur photo.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 559
  • le Bon Viveur.jpg
    le Bon Viveur.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 573
Hi Art, Eric,

Eric is correct, they are known as 'Poulsbo Boats,' I errored. Art, in the day, knowledge of applied fiberglassing was a seek and find. My Brother in Law, who acquired the boat in very sad condition, was advised by the shipwright who replaced the keel and bowstem, that fiberglassing was the really only option to retain the boat in a seaworthy condition. My BIL took that literally and used several layers of woven cloth topped by a couple of fine mesh cloth. He did not apply staples, which later was suggested to eliminate slippage of the wood from the glass as the wood swelled with moisture.
It has not be an issue due to the strength of the many layers. I swear, while the wood is a solid and secure as can be, the use of staples would have been duplicity at its greatest. Yes, the boat is heavy. the full hull is fiberglassed to that degree, the deck and cabin is natural wood. Red and Yellow Cedar.
If the day arrived that a single boat were the choice, then this Poulsbo Boat would be the decision, no doubt.

Al-Ketchikan

Brother... do I ever know that i.e. "... in the day, knowledge of applied fiber glassing was a seek and find."

My first years of actually helping to work on boats [in LI NY boat yards] was at young age of 7. From that late point in the 1950's through to the mid 70's I did a lot of boat repairs and refinishing [in NY and Maine]. In early 60's fiberglass became a marvel to work with at these yards. By mid to latter 60's yard shipwrights had gotten pretty good at mixtures and applications. Also worked for a year at fledgling fiberglass new boat builder... "Maine Coast Ship Builders" - owned by Ted Lang from Freeport LI... who eventually folded up shop; in very a weird way.

Gotta Say... I love good wood boats; their look, feel, smell, ride and general ambience. :smitten:

Also, Gotta Say... I love good fiberglass boats - cause they are so G-damn simple to maintain. Inside-boat wood satisfies my need for wood around me. Outside fiberglass with no wood satisfies my enjoyment of wash-n'-go with no need for refinishing; except once a decade wax and shine! :smitten::thumb:

oldm - Nice looken mini barge. Love the nautical, big boat placement visual effect of Danforth style anchor on its prow.

Always wondered how you clean [dunk off mud etc] an anchor that is in that position on a boat. What happens if the anchor snagged a loose cable or line or something similar and brought it to the surface?? Boat hook I guess to work on that problem. If you did not see a snagged line, and it trailed back far enough while underway, seems the prop would get wound up.

You're right Art...could be cleaned through the waves;)

A boater with such a low anchor, turning along his catway among other boats, the anchor touched something, then anchor dropped in the canal with a lot of noise from the chain, every one looked at him ;0):hide:...

But you're right, never thought about it, can be dangerous when collecting loose line going towards prop.

Last edited:
Nice boat. Great condition wood finishes!

One of the nicest pieces of wood I ever saw carved, and a Gardner to boot! Be still my heart.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1963/Wahl-Motor-Yacht-3253105/Sydney/Canada?refSource=standard%20listing#.W6wfHaQpCEc

Healhustler, smart lines, slightly curved.

An old wooden fast boat (ex German WWII) 23m, Schnell-Boot S-Boot, with new pilothouse.
Engine Man 120hp 6 cyl.

http://www.courtierdebateaux.fr/fr/schip/766/yacht-a-moteur-classique-23-00-ex-allemande-schnellboot

Attachments

• klassiek-motorjacht-23-00-ex-duitse-schnellboot-180107-front-courtier.jpg
    klassiek-motorjacht-23-00-ex-duitse-schnellboot-180107-front-courtier.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
oldmarlin,
A very interesting and magnificent high speed SD wood boat. So wonderful to see.

Back
Top Bottom