Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lot of rivs in south east qld area.
They are disliked by many due to the owners blindly charging past others and putting up a huge wake.
They often hunt in packs and have group weekends away terrorizing anyone in the vicinity with on the plane entry into anchorages, poor anchoring techniques, drones, jetskis, loud music and gaudy lighting.
I subscribe to a Riviera fbook page so I can find out where they will be and avoid like an STD.

Saying that there are also a few that get around singly, secretly wishing they were bay cruisers plodding along at hull speed and behaving like civilised human beings.

Fuse lit, stands back :)

Last edited:
Lot of rivs in south east qld area.
They are disliked by many due to the owners blindly charging past others and putting up a huge wake.
They often hunt in packs and have group weekends away terrorizing anyone in the vicinity with on the plane entry into anchorages, poor anchoring techniques, drones, jetskis, loud music and gaudy lighting.
I subscribe to a Riviera fbook page so I can find out where they will be and avoid like an STD.

Saying that there are also a few that get around singly, secretly wishing they were bay cruisers plodding along at hull speed and behaving like civilised human beings.

Fuse lit, stands back :)
Not unlike the Monty Python sketch about hordes of foreign businessmen forming pyramids in hotel pools and frightening the children.
I`m more interested in the boats than the idiots some attract. Rivs are way overpowered for use as displacement speed cruisers so lots of propensity for misuse. Worse still, a substantial proportion come with IPS Volvos. Earlier models had twin 370 Cummins!
What also bothers me about the Riv 3600 is the miserable amount of main cabin space.Real problems swinging a cat in there.Or a nutria.
A Riv 37 with no FB, and twin Cummins 230s makes more sense, but doesn`t exist. But I`m not inclined to "do a Cofer" on one.

Not unlike the Monty Python sketch about hordes of foreign businessmen forming pyramids in hotel pools and frightening the children.
I`m more interested in the boats than the idiots some attract. Rivs are way overpowered for use as displacement speed cruisers so lots of propensity for misuse. Worse still, a substantial proportion come with IPS Volvos. Earlier models had twin 370 Cummins!
What also bothers me about the Riv 3600 is the miserable amount of main cabin space.Real problems swinging a cat in there.Or a nutria.
A Riv 37 with no FB, and twin Cummins 230s makes more sense, but doesn`t exist. But I`m not inclined to "do a Cofer" on one.

For what it's worth... Bernie Madoff owned a Rybovich :dance:

OOOO a go fast boat I actually like.
I rarely if ever get seasick on deck or below deck. Put me on an FB in light waves, instant overboard emptying of stomach contents. Most boaty people wouldn't give it notice. I dunno why I get like that. :ermm:
Glad someone likes it. Interesting, guy who has owned several Riv FBs bought one of their earlier non FBs(not a 3600) and to his surprise was sick on a coastal passage, had to hand the helm to the Admiral. Even some blue water sailboat race crew get sick at season start.
The 3600 is a neat boat, sells fast 2nd hand.

For what it's worth... Bernie Madoff owned a Rybovich :dance:
I see the boat similarities. Bernie made off with a lot of $$$$!
Rivs get used in lots of way. Go fast hoons, serious offshore fishing,and family cruising.

Riviera was set up by Bill Barry-Cotter, after he sold his initial boatbuilding business called Mariner. He later sold Riviera to start Maritimo,his current business. After a "near death" financial experience Riviera came good, maybe with a change in shareholding,and seems to be doing well. There is notable similarity between Riviera and Maritimo boats, in design and range.

Really nice conversion of a 44' wood hulled troller with Gardner engine:

https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/...-trawler-conversion.asp?allimages=true#images

Nice conversion for sure. $94,000 US? If there is a comment to the negative it would be the apparent tight quarters to the sides of the Gardner for access and engine work, not that these engines are such as to be a constant need.

I am becoming somewhat familar with the Gardner. I have a Grand-Son-In Law that has recently purchased a Canadian troller with a Gardner. the common six cylinder. As these are obsolete in terms of new construct, gaining as much information on part accessibility and source of technical information is vital
Fortunately owners assist owners or so the information gathering is proving. Still stark in terms of abundance yet, repeating one's self, in the main these engines are for life with minimum wear factor. Clean oil, clean fuel, and clean air. nothing other than a basic heavy duty tractor engine.

Al-Ketchikan

Mojo, nice little hidey hole you have at Olverson’s lodge creek marina.

Good presentation.
Good spec sheet.

Only change I would make is, installation of hydraulic stabilizers. Based upon my previous experience, I like to turn the switch on instead of going outside to rig the paravanes.
I'd like it even more if the hull were steel or fiberglass.

Last edited:
I have never understood having a custom built boat, unless you were so silly rich that you didn't have any concern for money. It just seems like you would have to be incredibly presumptious/naive/crazy to think that you can design, build and outfit a boat on the first try better than a company that has built hundreds of times. The pricing advantages that an established builder has for the major components alone ....production efficiency, confidence in an established design...

I think you would pay such a financial penalty that you could find an existing boat that would meet your needs, or at least an existing boat that a builder will work with you on a few things; that you'd have to get so much more boat for your bucks than starting from scratch.

I have never understood having a custom built boat, unless you were so silly rich that you didn't have any concern for money. It just seems like you would have to be incredibly presumptious/naive/crazy to think that you can design, build and outfit a boat on the first try better than a company that has built hundreds of times. The pricing advantages that an established builder has for the major components alone ....production efficiency, confidence in an established design...

I think you would pay such a financial penalty that you could find an existing boat that would meet your needs, or at least an existing boat that a builder will work with you on a few things; that you'd have to get so much more boat for your bucks than starting from scratch.
Maybe for some the pleasure to build something from your own hands is priceless.
Ask Hendo I am sure he will have the right answer.

L

Maybe for some the pleasure to build something from your own hands is priceless.

L

I Completely Agree!

For a Master Builder, like Matt... the boat itself becomes one with its creator/builder/designer. The building experience he has and is undergoing is simply/truly priceless and will be with him forever in life.

I bet Matt has learned more about building [in general] during his 6 to 8 yrs. of hands-on boat "creation" than most will ever get the chance to know.

There's an old saying in the construction industry about accomplished Master Builders: "I bet [insert a master-builder's name here] has forgotten more about building tricks than I'll ever get the chance to know!" :thumb:

This is interesting for $13,500. 38ft Owens Sedan Flybridge. Maybe a scam.

https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/d/38-foot-sedan-flybridge-live/6685663106.html

00h0h_6QiKuYOe3tD_600x450.jpg

This is interesting for $13,500. 38ft Owens Sedan Flybridge. Maybe a scam.

https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/d/38-foot-sedan-flybridge-live/6685663106.html

00h0h_6QiKuYOe3tD_600x450.jpg

I don't see that as scam.

The ol' Owens Concord and their other model lines were well built, spacious, comfortable and pretty good general-sea-condition tenders. Boat that age has just about hit rock bottom for deduction values. Note that as the ad mentioned... her twins need new carbs... don't be surprised if the engines are the originals with many hours and little to no life remaining. If I were to contemplate getting that ride I'd have professional marine mechanic inspect both engines first. Then, if they seem to be good enough for at least another 5 to700 hours run time I'd make an offer. 6 to 7K would be my starting price!

L

There are two kinds of people who "build" things. A lot of people say "I built my house." Usually it means they told someone the details of the house they wanted and that someone actually built it. Rarely does it mean that they were out there cutting and nailing stuff together or pouring the concrete, let alone doing the structural design work.

Same thing goes for people who "built" their boat. Mostly it is just telling some yard to put this there and that here. The actual details and labor of doing it successfully are left to the boat yard. The people who are "building" the boat might visit the yard from time to time to see how it is going.

However, there are some people who built their boat in the conventional sense of "building". This includes sourcing the materials, cutting and shaping, assembly, and finishing. I expect that there are more people who built their boat in this sense than those the built their house the same way.

Last edited:
A custom house seems normal to me, but the entire boat building process seems like a "one-off" couldn't come close to a mass produced vessel. It would almost be like trying to custom build a car from scratch.

The other things is I would hate to start second guessing my boat design when the weather gets dicey. With a mass produced boat, you know your design has endured thousands of hours of sea time and testing. If there was some design oversight it would have been discovered by now. I guess I would never want anything that didn't have a 3 digit hull number. I know that's just me though. Different strokes for different folks.

I am glad there are people that do though...there are some truly beautiful boats out there. Sometimes everything comes together with the perfect lines and proportions and balance, and its like artwork.

But "building" a custom house is just telling someone else where you want stuff. The person "building" the house does not ever touch a tool and would probably get yelled at if they did.

Then during the final inspection, the "builder" says "Why it that there?" and the reply is "Because that's were you told us to put it."

Or maybe "Who's stupid idea was it to put that there?"

"Yours."

Here's one. I can't remember if it's been posted on here or not, but I've looked at it many times on YW. It's a wooden Diesel Duck 40, which may not qualify for most as an 'interesting boat,' but I like it. I pass it regularly going in and out of Chicago, and have always admired it. Aside from it being wooden, which most buyers (myself included,) tend to avoid, I really don't see anything wrong with it. I can only conclude that it's been on the market for so long because it's overpriced. I really do like it, though. The interior is so warm and inviting and cozy. I could live on this one. She's certainly capable of the sort of coastal cruising I'd like to do.

An interesting note I only discovered today is that they documented the entire build in photos, and have provided a link for tire kickers like myself to drool over. I have to admit, it's a good idea. It's got me more interested.

Part of me hopes for the seller's sake that it goes soon, the rest of me hopes that it's still on the market in another few years, maybe 30k less. Yeah, she's a wooden boat, but she's practically a NEW wooden boat.

Here's one. I can't remember if it's been posted on here or not, but I've looked at it many times on YW. It's a wooden Diesel Duck 40, which may not qualify for most as an 'interesting boat,' but I like it. I pass it regularly going in and out of Chicago, and have always admired it. Aside from it being wooden, which most buyers (myself included,) tend to avoid, I really don't see anything wrong with it. I can only conclude that it's been on the market for so long because it's overpriced. I really do like it, though. The interior is so warm and inviting and cozy. I could live on this one. She's certainly capable of the sort of coastal cruising I'd like to do.

An interesting note I only discovered today is that they documented the entire build in photos, and have provided a link for tire kickers like myself to drool over. I have to admit, it's a good idea. It's got me more interested.

Part of me hopes for the seller's sake that it goes soon, the rest of me hopes that it's still on the market in another few years, maybe 30k less. Yeah, she's a wooden boat, but she's practically a NEW wooden boat.

Nice boat... $$$ too much!!

I know nothing about wooden boats so they scare me, but that one sure is nice looking. I’ve always admired the Buehler ducks.

It does seem overpriced for a wooden boat to me, but again, I know nothing. But like you say, it’s almost new. How do you know it was built “correctly”. I assume it’s home built?

I know nothing about wooden boats so they scare me, but that one sure is nice looking. I’ve always admired the Buehler ducks.

It does seem overpriced for a wooden boat to me, but again, I know nothing. But like you say, it’s almost new. How do you know it was built “correctly”. I assume it’s home built?

I’m with you there, Dude. I really don’t know much about wooden boats, so I honestly couldn’t say. I think that’s why I liked the fact that the build process was documented. At least I could show the pictures to a surveyor and see if it means anything to them. It was a one-off built by a pair of guys at a chicago boat yard. They’ve done restorations and repairs on a few other old woodies, that seemed to come out nicely to my untrained eye.

I suppose lack of resale value is probably enough reason to hold most people back. I might be willing to take the risk, but I doubt I’d ever be able to get any of my money back if I had to sell.

On the flip side, if you really wanted a Duck this would be a cheaper way to get one.

If you keep it a long time resale obviously becomes less of an issue. See how I justified that expense for you! [emoji23]

I’m with you there, Dude. I really don’t know much about wooden boats, so I honestly couldn’t say. I think that’s why I liked the fact that the build process was documented. At least I could show the pictures to a surveyor and see if it means anything to them. It was a one-off built by a pair of guys at a chicago boat yard. They’ve done restorations and repairs on a few other old woodies, that seemed to come out nicely to my untrained eye.

I suppose lack of resale value is probably enough reason to hold most people back. I might be willing to take the risk, but I doubt I’d ever be able to get any of my money back if I had to sell.

I remember one of my many concerns about wooden boats, seams, caulking cotton, caulking irons, hammers, seams fail to swell fully closed so the seams leak, dry rot. Wooden boat are classical and romantic but.....

Back
Top Bottom