Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marty: What are you doing here. That’s your kind of boat, and one of the few quality replacements I’ve seen for William!
I guess I have a thing for old work boats. Way too late in my life for a wood boat but I still like them.

Last edited:
Mart,
What happened to your GB Alaskan?
Kinda glad you didn’t get one of those big old wood boats.

Mart,
What happened to your GB Alaskan?
Kinda glad you didn’t get one of those big old wood boats.
I gave up the Alaskan dream. I’m glad I didn’t get one either. It would probably still be on the hard and I would be trying to figure out what to do.

Gotta love those old engines and a manual reversible prop.
So very simple. Not too particular about the fuel.

Too Cool! With reduction gear... what's that chug-chug baby diesel engine turning her big prop at idle... 100 rpm? :dance:

This Italian Absolute Navetta 58 is 1 of only 3 in North America. It was shipped to Florida and cruised up here into the Great Lakes where it is in a marina in the port of Grand Haven on Lake Michigan. There is a nicely written story about how it got here and there are lots of great pictures of the boat. This is an unusual, elegant and well equipped cruiser.

https://www.grandhaventribune.com/l...nterest-in-Grand-Haven.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=

I want to like it. I need way more pics and info before I give it the :thumb:

Too Cool! With reduction gear... what's that chug-chug baby diesel engine turning her big prop at idle... 100 rpm? :dance:
I know what you're talking about. Those really low revving diesels sound so nice chugging around the bays and harbors. :thumb:

That workboat lookalike

Thanks BruceK for pointing me to:

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/boden-40-trawler-sedan/222091

I am talking to the dealer tomorrow, after having had an hysterically funny conversation with him by email, with me trying to convince him I wasn't a scammer—because I was emailing from the UK, and not able to phone him because I do not have a local SIM. My partner and I are teaching workshops here. She does have a local SIM in her phone, so the dealer and I will chat tomorrow.

This boat is just bare bones, really, but to me good-looking bones: no autopilot, a single instrument (I am guessing that Lowrance is a sounder, but I could be wrong). It looks like a very good hull (it's only 15 years old, young for a wooden trawler). Clearly it needs a bottom clean and antifouling, but the dealer is a marina and boat service shop too, so that should not be a problem. And the rot in the gunwales aft look pretty simple to fix. This might seem odd, but the fact that she has no navigation instruments is a plus for me: I can install exactly the instruments I want, and as we know, they get better and less expensive every year.

I like the flush decks at the bow, the generous scuppers, and the simple layout. I know the engine type well, and I will be inspecting her when I get back with a mechanic guru friend when I get back. I will be asking the dealer a bunch of questions, but I do like the look of her, I must say.

On another note: I pulled out of the Coral Queen deal because closer inspection of her below-decks revealed an immense amount of work, and I do not want to spend my sabbatical only working on a boat!

Remember this the end of the model year, when you make an offer.
I like it.
Alas, it may cost another $200-300K to finish it out.

Could that TUG be finished up in one Year? Is the $ 250,000 reasonable to finish her ? I have the skills to finish out all interiors surfaces, cabinetry etc...would need help wiring, electronics, mechanics...Also with the specified tankage, what kind of range would she have? Just curious...I Think...

Tank volume?
water tank volume?
water maker can wait till next year
All the have systems will be your choice, lucky you.

Thanks BruceK for pointing me to:

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/boden-40-trawler-sedan/222091

I am talking to the dealer tomorrow, after having had an hysterically funny conversation with him by email, with me trying to convince him I wasn't a scammer—because I was emailing from the UK, and not able to phone him because I do not have a local SIM. My partner and I are teaching workshops here. She does have a local SIM in her phone, so the dealer and I will chat tomorrow.

This boat is just bare bones, really, but to me good-looking bones: no autopilot, a single instrument (I am guessing that Lowrance is a sounder, but I could be wrong). It looks like a very good hull (it's only 15 years old, young for a wooden trawler).
Amazing, I only posted it for the dog pic! I should get an intro fee:).
The Lowrance could be a GPS/Sounder combo.The Perkins is a great engine. Some TLC and that will be a very pretty boat, with its great lines

Having had a boat on that sales site I know about scammers, and you certainly fitted the scam profile with those features.
Good luck with it.

Remember this the end of the model year, when you make an offer.
I like it.
Alas, it may cost another $200-300K to finish it out.

At least. I happened to see this boat from a distance when I looked at another boat and then saw the listing on YW. I suspect that boat has been sitting unfinished in this shed in Scappoose OR for the better part of 10 years. A project abandoned during the 2008/9 recession? Interesting choice of engine for a newer build. I like 6-71 naturals but having it sit for that long with moist air blowing through them is an issue. Rings might be rusted to cylinder walls and break upon startup if not done very carefully. Also one off cored hulls scare me.

Last edited:
How could a trawler get any more perfect!.

Well, there’s this one. Photo came from the Great Loop collection. No Photoshop on my part.

Attachments

• 21746486-9F35-4C6D-AA58-E274A948FCF0.jpg
    21746486-9F35-4C6D-AA58-E274A948FCF0.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 100
Riviera 37

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2004-RIVIERA-37-FLYBRIDGE/OAG-AD-16103189/?cr=36&psq=%28%28%28%28Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%26LengthInFeet%3Drange%5B36..43%5D%29%26BoatType%3D%5BPower%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%29%29%26Make%3D%5BRIVIERA%5D%29&pso=30&pss=Length
It`s no trawler but what do people make of it? No lack of pics to help answer that. Rivs get a good build rap, esp 37s.No steel fuel tanks either. Cummins 370s instead of standard 330s,1200rpm would give displacement speeds. Lower helm is unusual, but sadly no helm door to take a line.
C`mon, rip into it.

Well, there’s this one. Photo came from the Great Loop collection. No Photoshop on my part.

There sure are some interesting and classic 'loopers' out there.
The only observation I might make is, maybe a set of tug boat style steel stairs from the upper deck going forward down to the fwd deck? That would take care of the "go fwd and take a line"

Last edited:
Very nice, however the Gardner looks like a bit cramped in that tiny space, would like it to be in a bigger ER so I can admire it and enjoy its wonderful look & style.

L

Agreed. Gardners are a sculptors answer to diesel engines :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom