Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about the electrical? Wouldn’t that have to be converted to US?

Buy the boat, tour Europe then when you import the boat, it will be a used boat.
That's how it used to be with cars bought over seas.

Isn't already a used boat?

The car thing worked because you were buying it new from the factory.

You picked up the car from the factory and used in Europe. Then took it back and they shipped to your nearest dealership as part of a regular shipment. IT could take a couple of months to get your car delivered to you in the States.

Saab used to do this, probably high end German cars too.

There was a stylish French car that used to do that too. I cant spell the name correctly something like Citeron

Yes you would need to convert to 60hz if you ever wanted to connect with shore power.
Genset(4 pole) wise the 50hz 1500rpm engines would need to be changed to operate at 60hz 1800rpm. As far as changes it could be as simple as turning up the speed on the governor and adjusting the avr or as involved as changing fuel settings and other hard parts like turbo hot housing's. Then you have to look at everything electrical on the boat and see if it's compatible with 60hz.

This attachment has a little more info including owner's comments about the origins.

That is an attractive and interesting boat.

Attachments

• benford 38.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 87

Dude,
There are a number of ways to deal with electrical conversion and a number of things to consider. I chose not to convert the 'boat' but instead to only convert the charging system.
If you convert the boat from 50hz, 220v then many things are triggered. Wire size essentially needs to double its current carrying capacity in all AC circuits because as you drop to 110v you need to send twice the current to supply the same energy. I did not want to rewire the boat.

Some appliances can run over a range of voltage, especially small ones, but many larger appliances will need to be ripped out and replaced. I did not want to replace the refrigerators, freezers, microwave, washer, dryer etc. The boat came with good ones.

So...I chose to run the boat as Euro and just needed to make the charging system recognize US AC and convert it to DC which the existing large inverter then converted back to Euro AC to keep running the boat as it was. This also meant absolutely no change to either of the generators which was really nice. I did put in a new AC panel as the original was just too complicated for me to understand especially given the translations.

This just involved installing a nice Victron Energy charger that looks at incoming power and converts what it sees to charge the large house bank. This charger can run from the US shore power plug that I now use or a Euro plug which I also have so that this boat can plug in virtually anywhere in the world and run just fine.

The (small in my view) down side is that as I need to replace the larger appliances, I will need to source those that run on 50 hz 220v. Amazon makes that pretty easy and the cost is comparable and they are quite efficient. Lag time probably a little longer.

I was not all that sure how I would like this but two years in and I like it just fine. I can recommend this approach without reservation at this point.

This attachment has a little more info including owner's comments about the origins.

That is an attractive and interesting boat.

Quite the 36' / 14' beam boat!

With twin 43 hp. diesels it seems she would sip fuel at 1.5 knots below the hull speed of 9 knots mentioned.

BTW - If her WLL is the full 36'... Hulls sped calcs out to 8.04, not 9 knots.

I'd love to learn her range with the 300 gallons of fuel aboard while she does 7 to 7.5 TTW knots

Good info, klee. The Occam's razor solution.

Good info, klee. The Occam's razor solution.

Indeed. Simple solutions for simple minds. A very handy daily strategy in my agricultural/manufacturing day job....

A nice coastal cruiser..... SMILE
Great looper too.

I would just get a Georator to convert the 60 hz input shore power to 50 hz and then feed the rest of the boat (basically though the original shore power input).

We use them all the time where I work. Way better than some solid state device or rewiring the boat.

"Groupe PSA is a French multinational manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles sold under the Peugeot, Citroën, DS, Opel and Vauxhall brands. Peugeot is the largest PSA brand worldwide, while Opel is the largest PSA brand in Europe".

Dude,

There are a number of ways to deal with electrical conversion and a number of things to consider. I chose not to convert the 'boat' but instead to only convert the charging system.

If you convert the boat from 50hz, 220v then many things are triggered. Wire size essentially needs to double its current carrying capacity in all AC circuits because as you drop to 110v you need to send twice the current to supply the same energy. I did not want to rewire the boat.

Some appliances can run over a range of voltage, especially small ones, but many larger appliances will need to be ripped out and replaced. I did not want to replace the refrigerators, freezers, microwave, washer, dryer etc. The boat came with good ones.

So...I chose to run the boat as Euro and just needed to make the charging system recognize US AC and convert it to DC which the existing large inverter then converted back to Euro AC to keep running the boat as it was. This also meant absolutely no change to either of the generators which was really nice. I did put in a new AC panel as the original was just too complicated for me to understand especially given the translations.

This just involved installing a nice Victron Energy charger that looks at incoming power and converts what it sees to charge the large house bank. This charger can run from the US shore power plug that I now use or a Euro plug which I also have so that this boat can plug in virtually anywhere in the world and run just fine.

The (small in my view) down side is that as I need to replace the larger appliances, I will need to source those that run on 50 hz 220v. Amazon makes that pretty easy and the cost is comparable and they are quite efficient. Lag time probably a little longer.

I was not all that sure how I would like this but two years in and I like it just fine. I can recommend this approach without reservation at this point.

Thank you very much for that explanation. I’m usually confused by this subject but your explanation helps clears it up.

Ssobol - Georator goes to some pains to warn prospective customers that their equipment isn't cheap. Any idea what a 6kw setup might cost? Then there's common shaft, v drive ........

Any idea as to losses in the 50-60 cycle conversion? The USN drilled into my head the efficiency of submarine AC-DC MG sets, can't remember exactly, but the losses seemed significant.

Interesting ideas here.

Dude,

A few years back I considered shipping our 24’ diesel motorhome to Europe. Same issues with electrical conversion, but reverse: US to Euro. After considerable research finally stumbled onto Victron products; their Autotransformers and MultiPlus inverter/chargers are brilliant! (In the end we simply swapped motorhomes with a Dutch couple. What a wonderful six week adventure!!)

Ssobol - Georator goes to some pains to warn prospective customers that their equipment isn't cheap. Any idea what a 6kw setup might cost? Then there's common shaft, v drive ........

Any idea as to losses in the 50-60 cycle conversion? The USN drilled into my head the efficiency of submarine AC-DC MG sets, can't remember exactly, but the losses seemed significant.

Interesting ideas here.

Sorry, I have no idea how much they cost, but you can probably get used units. We use the vertical single shaft units (about the size of a 10 gallon bucket). They usually run all the time and only get shut off for maintenance (which is very little). For us they are units that we actually pay very little attention to. IME, I can't think of a single failure (can't say the same about solid state converters).

Last edited:

Attachments

• 15_4.jpg
    15_4.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 5_4.jpg
    5_4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 98
Further research - Georator claims 90+% efficiency for their common shaft units. Other solid state unit manufacterers claim 98% efficiency. It apprears that the USN units I was referring to ran in the range of 75-82% efficient.

Lots of good info here on "converting" a boat from EU to NA power. I recently managed same on a large vessel. We used solid sate. The decision driven mainly by available service and support in the boat's operating region. We left ALL machinery EU. Added NA circuits throughout, other than engine room, for new gear coming aboard as well as personal plug in devices.

We were pleasantly surprised to find out how many DC devices accept a wide range of voltages. And how many AC devices, especially electronics are dual EU and NA.

Do watch our for power requirements. As mentioned above, watch you wire sizes.

1950s oil field support boat converted to liveaboard. The owner has a family member that owns a small shipyard - bottom, electrical, engines have all been redone. Powered by a pair of 4-53s.

The owner has done all of the interior fitting out and renovation as well asthe topside paint on his own.

The boat spends a couple of months a year anchored in the Biloxi Marsh as a duck hunting and fishing mother ship, the rest of the time as shown.

Attachments

• R E Lee Port.jpg
    R E Lee Port.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 113
  • R E Lee Stbd.jpg
    R E Lee Stbd.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 106
1950s oil field support boat converted to liveaboard.

That’s really nice looking. Owner did a great job. So it’s basically a self propelled barge? Was it for accommodations or a shop/maintenance vessel?

Self propelled barge is a fair summary, I think. I don't know the specifics for this boat as to prior use. As I understand it, these boats had myriad uses. Accommodation for work over crews, mobile shops, etc. There's probably somebody reading this that has a better handle on specific applications.

Extreme Beauty

Found this most beautiful boat ever on FB posted by a man from Australia. Not everyone will agree but I post as there are some that will need to see this as I have.

Attachments

• FF782F9A-F6BB-4165-BCA0-CE3649758FAC.jpg
    FF782F9A-F6BB-4165-BCA0-CE3649758FAC.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 115
Found this most beautiful boat ever on FB posted by a man from Australia. Not everyone will agree but I post as there are some that will need to see this as I have.

Dang, those are some beautiful lines for sure :thumb:

Boats are a lot like faces in that they all contain the same basic design elements, but some are put together in a more pleasing way :D

I do believe that is one of two boats the owners, on here, personally did a major rebuild.

1950s oil field support boat converted to liveaboard. The owner has a family member that owns a small shipyard - bottom, electrical, engines have all been redone. Powered by a pair of 4-53s.

The owner has done all of the interior fitting out and renovation as well asthe topside paint on his own.

The boat spends a couple of months a year anchored in the Biloxi Marsh as a duck hunting and fishing mother ship, the rest of the time as shown.

Just a guess; large galley, lots of berthing space, reasonable amount of area for meals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom