Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This looks too good to be true. What do you make of this? https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/d/steel-hull-union-jack-newlolo/6594636793.html

What's a LOLO? I see it may be the acronym for "Lift-On Lift-Off", but I still don't get it. Buyer has to furnish the site lift and transport?

I like it but I would have done the interior a little differently along with the windows. I like that they put a outboard bracket right in the center of the swim platform. They seem to be prepared to drop the dink motor on when the westy gave out.

On the LOLO boat,

there was an interested TF party who either had it under contract or almost did some months ago.

the thread is in the archive somewhere.

I think the home made aspect and the used motor decided against pursuing it.

It has been on craigslist for a couple of years on and off.

Come on guys, haven't you ever been to a bar and met a woman name Lolo?
You might be milling out on a real experience. WINK WINK

Remember the song, "Whtever Lolo wants, Lolo gets......"

I believe that's Lola in the song not Lolo.

I think the engine and uncertainty about the build is why many look but won't touch that boat. The V birth is extremely tight and may be off-putting to some. It is to me. They don't have any aft cabin pics on CL. Then the boat will have to be transported at great costs.

Ben, you caught me. LOL
Now that I think about it, maybe the name of the woman in the bar was Lola?

Last edited:
Met this nice young fellow this past weekend at a YC outstation. He had come over from Vancouver in his new Loki : https://www.lokiboats.com/
very cool boat. 32ft, 600 hp, 50 knots, head and 1 bunk below, galley optional, 4 bucket seats, beautiful fit and finish, very expensive.
The Co is after the Mega Yacht tender market.
Nice compliment to a trawler. Of course you need both.

Only inboard option is the Volvo Penta engines??

Only inboard option is the Volvo Penta engines??

I am not a fan of stern drives, but if you like the boat and want an inboard and are tolerant of stern drives, that is a good option. The VP D4 is a proven, reliable marine engine, though the 600 hp outboards will get you a higher top end.
I don't know if the space in the ER is the limiting factor to the size of inboard, but I know the space below fwd is limited to storage or one single bunk, head and minimal other stuff, so I would expect the space aft to be similarly limited.
Really just a yacht tender. One needs a proper trawler to go with it.

Sigh...

Went down to MK Bay marina for a sunset dinghy ride here in Kitimat, BC, and saw this 'wipe the drool off your chin' Michael Kasten design...Moresby Mist out of Vancouver;

Attachments

• Moresby Mist, MK Bay - Kasten.jpg
    Moresby Mist, MK Bay - Kasten.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 194
This one is near us at the moment.
Don't know much about her except 20m Fiddler of steel in need of a decent interior with an 8L3b Gardner and like ours, was heavily reduced over the years to attract a buyer.

She's a decent chunk on boat for the coin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-17-15-53-56~01~01.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-17-15-53-56~01~01.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 158
Sigh...

Went down to MK Bay marina for a sunset dinghy ride here in Kitimat, BC, and saw this 'wipe the drool off your chin' Michael Kasten design...Moresby Mist out of Vancouver;

Rugged looking boat!

I really like those Kasten designed boats. Purposeful looking. Don’t know if I have the skills to own an aluminum boat however. Don’t they take extra vigilance to battle corrosion, similar to steel boats?

Don't know much about her except 20m Fiddler of steel in need of a decent interior with an 8L3b Gardner and like ours, was heavily reduced over the years to attract a buyer.

I paid more than that for my boat.

Thorn would be more than happy with this boat. Maybe 3 cabins AND crew quarters.

I really like those Kasten designed boats. Purposeful looking. Don’t know if I have the skills to own an aluminum boat however. Don’t they take extra vigilance to battle corrosion, similar to steel boats?

No, not really. There are now many aluminum work boats approaching 60 years old whose internal structure and guts look as good as the day they were born. Their big nemesis is electrolysis, but if everything is installed correctly and maintained properly it is not an issue. There are horror stories out there but my experience is that the majority that I looked at in a 40 year professional career were good. My belief is that there are horror stories in wood, steel, aluminum and fiberglass constructed boats and all have the same genesis of poor construction techniques or poor maintenance practice.

Unlike steel, aluminum will not continue to corrode. Once the initial flash of oxidation is set, the oxidation itself provides a seal against further corrosion, if undisturbed. Steel however just continues to rot until it’s all gone unless the corrosion is arrested and treated.

Strangely, my phobia of aluminum boats is motion. I have only been seasick twice in my life. Both times on aluminum boats. Now, given that I have been in the maritime business my entire career and have literally millions of sea miles under my belt, that is something I can’t explain.

No, not really. There are now many aluminum work boats approaching 60 years old whose internal structure and guts look as good as the day they were born. Their big nemesis is electrolysis, but if everything is installed correctly and maintained properly it is not an issue. There are horror stories out there but my experience is that the majority that I looked at in a 40 year professional career were good. My belief is that there are horror stories in wood, steel, aluminum and fiberglass constructed boats and all have the same genesis of poor construction techniques or poor maintenance practice.

Unlike steel, aluminum will not continue to corrode. Once the initial flash of oxidation is set, the oxidation itself provides a seal against further corrosion, if undisturbed. Steel however just continues to rot until it’s all gone unless the corrosion is arrested and treated.

Strangely, my phobia of aluminum boats is motion. I have only been seasick twice in my life. Both times on aluminum boats. Now, given that I have been in the maritime business my entire career and have literally millions of sea miles under my belt, that is something I can’t explain.

Maybe it was hull design and the way the aluminum hull moved. The ali boats I have been on seem to have a bit of yaw as they roll compared to steel, wood, or glass. Or maybe I just noticed it more when I've been on ali hulled boats.

This is an intriguing vessel. Posted on a FB "trawlers for sale" page recently as an auction. No sale so they are planning to scrap. No affiliation, just find it to be a beautiful boat and think it would be waste to see it scrapped (assuming it's seaworthy).

https://less83-forsale-36.webself.net/accueil

Attachments

• 34200562_10213903696601043_4194474888158773248_o.jpg
    34200562_10213903696601043_4194474888158773248_o.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 115
This is an intriguing vessel. Posted on a FB "trawlers for sale" page recently as an auction. No sale so they are planning to scrap. No affiliation, just find it to be a beautiful boat and think it would be waste to see it scrapped (assuming it's seaworthy).

https://less83-forsale-36.webself.net/accueil

Sell it for scrap? What a waste.
They were hoping for about $930,000
What was the high bid?
I wonder what the scrap price is? Assuming one can get it for a low scrap price and it passes the hull survey and engine survey, bring it over on its bottom. The adventure would be a once in a life time. Or put it on a BIG boat, bring it across and sell it here.
I am more than sure we can find a crew of happy folks from here, willing to go on that adventure.

Last edited:
Yes, same boat.

Sell it for scrap? What a waste.
They were hoping for about $930,000
What was the high bid?
I wonder what the scrap price is? Assuming one can get it for a low scrap price and it passes the hull survey and engine survey, bring it over on its bottom. The adventure would be a once in a life time. Or put it on a BIG boat, bring it across and sell it here.
I am more than sure we can find a crew of happy folks from here, willing to go on that adventure.

According to the poster, they lowered the price to 300K euros. Scrape value was mentioned at 280K euros.

Seems like something is either very wrong with it, or maybe it's tied up in some settlement. There was some mentioned of French law, auction, etc.

Who knows, just seems like an amazing vessel to let go to waste. Facebook page here is with some great photos for anyone interested: https://www.facebook.com/MYLESS83/

We're just learning our first trawler now so it's too early for us but it's hard to not dream about buying (stealing?) a passagemaker like this for $350K US and sailing this beauty around the world for years.

PS - I just showed this to my wife who said "how would we find 83' of moorage in Seattle?" Was that technically a level of implied permission? ;)

Attachments

• 26240238_177575129642598_7702349721654553226_o.jpg
    26240238_177575129642598_7702349721654553226_o.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Yes, same boat.

According to the poster, they lowered the price to 300K euros. Scrape value was mentioned at 280K euros.

Seems like something is either very wrong with it, or maybe it's tied up in some settlement. There was some mentioned of French law, auction, etc.

Who knows, just seems like an amazing vessel to let go to waste. Facebook page here is with some great photos for anyone interested: https://www.facebook.com/MYLESS83/

We're just learning our first trawler now so it's too early for us but it's hard to not dream about buying (stealing?) a passagemaker like this for $350K US and sailing this beauty around the world for years.

PS - I just showed this to my wife who said "how would we find 82' of moorage in Seattle?" Was that technically a level of implied permission? ;)

They really must have let it go to hell.
BUT, you have permission, call them and get a copy of a recent survey. :angel:

<Sigh> I'd like to blame my inaction on the next boat purchase (that likely requires selling the land base) on upcoming retirement, wife, kids, parents, grand-kids, etc. But, it's really inertia; just can't make the commitment. :nonono:
That is the boat I was mentioning. It is in splendid condition, nice JD motor and very clean. Owned by a vet friend who is moving back inland in California.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom