Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ben2go, yes. What is the typical draft of a 40 footer? Coral Queen is 40', draws 5, weighs about 10 tons, and can carry up to 12, apparently.

You can see CQ has had additional timber added above the original deck line (what's the correct name for this?) and that this addition features scuppers from amidships back. She handles big seas gently and easily, and has been to Papua New Guinea and back.

In the conversion, I will remove the fish well and live bait tanks, and build the lowest aft cabin I can, to have the minimum windage. More to come.

The US DE lobster boats have about the same specs from what I have seen through research. There's a good forum on them as work boats and pleasure boats. https://downeastboatforum.com/

They more than "kind of" - they do remind of down east lobster boats. Early 70's... many a day I pulled lobster traps in Penobscot Bay, Maine. Tough, fun bunch of dudes. We all did know how to really party! Some of the lobstermen from then are still pulling traps. A few will always remain great friends of mine!!

:thumb:

I kinda like the overall look of this one, but the bottom paint makes me wonder about the "custom" aspects.

uL4ce6E.jpg

Archive link, for when the Cragslist post disappears

Greetings,
Mr. tkw. Yup. Someone was stingy with the masking tape on the bottom for sure. Volvo engine? Not interested.

Greetings,
Mr. tkw. Yup. Someone was stingy with the masking tape on the bottom for sure. Volvo engine? Not interested.

In this case: I'm always interested to hear who's not interested cause I too am not interested and hope to help others become non interested... or at least less interested.

Regarding certain types engines and any type of i/o's out drives!

Greetings,
Mr. A. Another thing I noticed about the latest "interesting" boat is what appears to be big box store double hung windows above the galley sink. It's difficult to tell but the same type windows may be in the aft cabin area as well. Possibly NOT safety glass.

IF that IS the case, it raises further questions as to the overall build quality and the implication that it would be wise not to leave the dock.

Last edited:
Railings looks weak. Prefer larger-diameter piping and at least two horizontal rails. One-inch diameter pipes don't make it with me.

Greetings,
Mr. A. Another thing I noticed about the latest "interesting" boat is what appears to be big box store double hung windows above the galley sink. It's difficult to tell but the same type windows may be in the aft cabin area as well. Possibly NOT safety glass.

IF that IS the case, it raises further questions as to the overall build quality and the implication that it would be wise not to leave the dock.

Can you purchase windows with no safety glass now a days?

I got injured from slider glass door when 13 yrs. old. 130 +/- stiches. OUCH!

Worked out well in long run. Kept me off football and wrestling for one season each... with little to no swimming for one summer in LI, NY and other family cruising visits. Bummer!!

IMG_0135.jpg

Spotted this space ship at Sylvan Beach yesterday. 45-50’ very home made cat.

Greetings,
Mr. A. I haven't purchased window for many decades but I would be VERY surprised if safety glass was used in any of them even now. We're talking house windows here, NOT marine or automotive/RV.

Greetings,
Mr. A. I haven't purchased window for many decades but I would be VERY surprised if safety glass was used in any of them even now. We're talking house windows here, NOT marine or automotive/RV.

RT - That's an interesting question on whether window safety glass is now mandatory. Might be a state to state legal thing. Maybe even federal??? I'll run a google some time to try and shed light on the situation.

Both our son and we did completely re-window and new slider door two houses in the last 5 years. Only things we found offered, here in moderate temperature Nor Cal, were double or triple pane safety glass with various tint choices. Encasement/frames were wood, plastic or metal.

In general, "safety glass" comes in two categories: tempered and laminated. Tempered is very strong and, when broken, results in small pieces with relatively few sharp edges. Laminated glass is sandwich construction, with an interior flexible membrane layer that generally keeps the pane intact after impact. Think car windshield.

The residential code for safety glass is, very generally, that a glass surface within a 3' radius any direction of a walking surface is required to be safety glass. Otherwise, not. But, most state and local codes have enough "enhancements" to confuse a Philadelphia lawyer.

A typical off the shelf window assembly will not be safety glass.

:thumb:

When I see them after being removed from the ships, they are usually in the $20,000 to $35,000. $10,000 wouldn't be to bad if everything on them works and they operate properly. I'm sure they sell for less, especially conversions.

Check out Jacksonville,Fl craigslist. 2006 lifeboat (never used) for $4700. 36hp diesel. shipboard stby use only.

RT,
It’s probably Lexan.
Very strong stuff.
Used on aircraft I think.

The back door window on Willy is Lexan.

A Defender-class RB-S converted to cruiser for a family of 3. With a 40+ knot top speed it's certainly not a trawler, but it is... interesting.

A few years ago, I saw a similar RIB in Campbeltown, Scotland without the junk rig. Did not seem to have much living space, but as I thought about it, it was a good boat for the area. The boat had two outboards and could zip along pretty fast between ports or anchorages when the weather was good. The boat could be put on a trailer so during the off season it would be cheap/free to store.

Not an obvious boat to own but I think it worked well for the area.

Later,
Dan

Think I figued out how to post a pic of the boat from CL. $35,000

Attachments

• 00P0P_bhddJ8jNoBM_600x450.jpg
    00P0P_bhddJ8jNoBM_600x450.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 119
why would you think the add is a scam? just call and get a feel from the seller. Not a huge market for basically home made small steel boats.

Jack - not suggesting it's a scam - but pretty interesting, particularly at $1k/ft. Not my cup of tea.

Jack - not suggesting it's a scam - but pretty interesting, particularly at $1k/ft. Not my cup of tea.

Agreed! Not my cup of tea either. The thing that scares me is that its been on CL for at least a year...Somethings amiss. either condition or ownership.

It seems odd to spend $160k to build a boat, not use it, and sell it for $35k.

I believe Lolo is a city in Montana where the boat is located.

It seems odd to spend $160k to build a boat, not use it, and sell it for $35k.

I believe Lolo is a city in Montana where the boat is located.

Reduced from $50K

Looks like a wet head and no mention of a generator. Guess it needs to be expanded to 40 ft to fit all that in.

No mention of the hull plate thickness.

I guess the vertical plate on the swim platform is for the emergency get home outboard????? :)

Over all, it is an interesting looking entry level trawler. It will make someone very happy, especially at that price.

Last edited:
Met this nice young fellow this past weekend at a YC outstation. He had come over from Vancouver in his new Loki : https://www.lokiboats.com/
very cool boat. 32ft, 600 hp, 50 knots, head and 1 bunk below, galley optional, 4 bucket seats, beautiful fit and finish, very expensive.
The Co is after the Mega Yacht tender market.
Nice compliment to a trawler. Of course you need both.

IMG_6964.jpg

Docked in Everett, wa. I love the looks of these boats!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom