Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Polar Star, Use to run up here to Ketchikan area. I think you are correct in calling it military. I would think ex-Coast Guard. It was employed as a tug while in Alaska service, (Best of memory, it was many years back:blush:)

Al-Ketchikan
:thumb:

You can check on your dinner slowly cooking while sitting on the head bowl, isn’t it a great feature ? And even better your friends having a drink can check on you too at the same time!

L

Just look at all that elbow room! No problem snapping open a broadsheet newspaper in that head.

Spotted this beauty in Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island, WA this Memorial Day weekend. Sturdy!

IMG_1134.jpg

Spotted this beauty in Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island, WA this Memorial Day weekend. Sturdy!

View attachment 76742

I like all of exterior design on this small ship! Thanks for posting the photo.

That's one of the few with a tall enough "Flying" Pilot House that could satiate my desire/need for flying bridge visual-elevation and well rounded view degrees. :dance:

Last edited:
Vessel Name: BALTIC SEA
USCG Doc. No.: 564342 Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Recreational, Registry Call Sign: WYP5586 Hull Material: ALUMINUM Hull Number: * Ship Builder: FREEMAN-HOWARD INC Year Built: 1975

Length (ft.): 55.9 Hailing Port: SEATTLE WA Hull Depth (ft.): 7.7 Owner:
Hull Breadth (ft.): 18 Gross Tonnage: 61 Net Tonnage: 45 Documentation Issuance Date: June 30, 2004

Vessel Name: BALTIC SEA
USCG Doc. No.: 564342 Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Recreational, Registry Call Sign: WYP5586 Hull Material: ALUMINUM Hull Number: * Ship Builder: FREEMAN-HOWARD INC Year Built: 1975

Length (ft.): 55.9 Hailing Port: SEATTLE WA Hull Depth (ft.): 7.7 Owner:
Hull Breadth (ft.): 18 Gross Tonnage: 61 Net Tonnage: 45 Documentation Issuance Date: June 30, 2004

Post 5678 linked photo ... shows her butt sitting low when bow is snubbed aground!

:dance:

Light on fuel possibly?

Heavy on forward general storage? Water in bilge? Lots o' fish in hold - LOL!

Something seems to have her off balance... stern up to bow down. Although, that may be how her hull's designed to sit at rest.

Last edited:
Heavy on forward general storage? Water in bilge? Lots o' fish in hold - LOL!

Something seems to have her off balance... stern up to bow down. Although, that may be how her hull's designed to sit at rest.

Look at either end of the rub rail and the distance to the water.
BUT, the boot top calls me a liar. So I will go with, needs refueling.
My guess is that it will squat a little when underway but then, I dont know squat.

Last edited:
What is that mechanical appendage in the bow?

A fold down mast?

Looks a bit cramped for 3. I guess they are a 'close' family all have a sense of humor.
Too bad, no pictures of the inside.

The “apparatus” on the fore deck is indeed interesting, maybe they ran over a sailboat at high speed?

A fold down mast?

Yes, that's the mainmast for a junk ketch rig. He has fitted a large retractable rudder, but there isn't much of a keel so I don't imagine the boat will sail all that well. The mizzen (mast visible aft in the photo) alone would work OK as a steadying sail though.

I wasn't invited inside, but from his descriptions he has dealt with the living spaces pretty cleverly. And all his modifications involve professionally welded aluminum bits -- no drilled holes which might compromise the boat's designed flotation capabilities.

They're headed north with some adventures in front of them for sure.

I thought it was a gin pole. :ermm:

Nice boat

I think this lady is pretty interesting. Saw her down in St. Augustine.

ps is it still ok to refer to a boat/ship as "she/her"? KJ

1429-albums194-picture4375.jpg

I think this lady is pretty interesting. Saw her down in St. Augustine.

ps is it still ok to refer to a boat/ship as "she/her"? KJ

1429-albums194-picture4375.jpg

Only if the vessel identifies as he/she/it/sh!t. :lol:

This is the Coral Queen; I could not get back far enough on the dock to get her all in in one shot and the rest of her immediately below.

She is (as far as I know) an ex-Navy work boat; here is an image of the well-known over here Australian Work Boat; here's a image of one of them:

I could not work out how to put images in the text, so this is the best I can do for now.

She is a timber boat, currently configured for tuna fishing, and she runs a reconditions Gardner 6LW engine, a not-working Sea Wasp genset, and has two live bait tanks and a large fish well on the back deck.

The build and finish is minimalist work boat: perspex windows in the wheelhouse, held in with silicon and many screws; and house paint (Wattyl low sheen 'Solar Guard'!). She has been slipped every six months for cleaning and antifouling.

We (my partner and I) have put a deposit on her, and when she's next up on the slips (October) and has some hull work done, we finalise the deal. I will be converting her to a 1.5 person live-aboard (my partner is small; ex-gymnast!), and we will be adding an aft cabin with a decent galley and two seats and a chart table on current plans.

We hops this will not be a Hendo-style restoration; the hull is sound, and the engine-gearbox-prop train all work perfectly. And I want to make the new work look similar to the old, so she looks of one piece. I will be starting a new thread on "Custom builds and refits" for this.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 100
  • AWB401_DavidGlasson_2012_2.jpg
    AWB401_DavidGlasson_2012_2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
WOW 40 years ago I owned a sister ship to 401 she was a Ex Garden Is ferry and at the time had a Lister JP2M Twin Cylinder Water Cooled Marine .

I gave her to the Navy Cadets and was told 10 years ago she is still a training boat on Sydney Harbor. During WW2 she was fitted with a single cylinder Chapman petrol engine as the original engine was taken for another more important boat at the time . Id love to see your boat some time will she be in Sydney ?

Sorry for the multiple posts; I was trying to work out how to get images in text, not under text. And as for the sideways ones; I have read about that problem here in other threads, and I will follow that advice in the future.

I will most definitely be bringing her to Sydney, but not until the New Year. We take delivery of her after some work to be done 8th October. And my partner and I are on sabbatical for the whole of 2019, so that's when the work will be done!

Last edited:
gaston, I am very familiar with that site; it was, so to speak, my 'first port of call'. More to come.

Really cool boats. They kind of remind me of our US Downeast lobster boats.

62769745150ecac621dd7928279253d7.jpg

Ben2go, yes. What is the typical draft of a 40 footer? Coral Queen is 40', draws 5, weighs about 10 tons, and can carry up to 12, apparently.

You can see CQ has had additional timber added above the original deck line (what's the correct name for this?) and that this addition features scuppers from amidships back. She handles big seas gently and easily, and has been to Papua New Guinea and back.

In the conversion, I will remove the fish well and live bait tanks, and build the lowest aft cabin I can, to have the minimum windage. More to come.

Really cool boats. They kind of remind me of our US Downeast lobster boats.

62769745150ecac621dd7928279253d7.jpg

They more than "kind of" - they do remind of down east lobster boats. Early 70's... many a day I pulled lobster traps in Penobscot Bay, Maine. Tough, fun bunch of dudes. We all did know how to really party! Some of the lobstermen from then are still pulling traps. A few will always remain great friends of mine!!

Back
Top Bottom