Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful! Very much a boat I'd like for my best friend to own. :D

Classic, nice boat... I'll be your best friend for a year or two! Then she's gotts ta go - to one of your other best friends. Tooooo much upkeep on that jewel!! :dance:

Classic, nice boat... I'll be your best friend for a year or two! Then she's gotts ta go - to one of your other best friends. Tooooo much upkeep on that jewel!! :dance:

Then again...MV Swell (big converted tug) and several other boats call into Kitimat taking people for week long tours of the north coast charging over $1,000 per day.

With this boat one could offer periodic excursions (at a lower price point) so it’s not a full time thing, and use those monies for the vessels upkeep. Maybe niche marketing to photography enthusiasts?

Where there’s a will there’s a way!

Last edited:
Oh man! I grunt and groan when I see something like that. Of course, I’d probably grunt and groan trying to do the upkeep too. Looks like something ideal for one of thosr murder mystery excursions.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. While a nice vessel, almost a $1/4mil for a 60+ year old wooden, sub 50' boat is a bit much IMO.

Then again...MV Swell (big converted tug) and several other boats call into Kitimat taking people for week long tours of the north coast charging over $1,000 per day.

With this boat one could offer periodic excursions (at a lower price point) so it’s not a full time thing, and use those monies for the vessels upkeep. Maybe niche marketing to photography enthusiasts?

Where there’s a will there’s a way!

Also, too often...

Where there’s a will there’s a way!... in the financial long run... the premise of "will" to have our "way" doing something turns into a "why" did I ever do that!!?? :facepalm: :dance: :lol:

Asking and purchase price are seldom the same ;)

I have friends that have seriously looked at it. They loved it but the owner seems firm on the price. Who knows what another 6 months will bring though.

Also, too often...

Where there’s a will there’s a way!... in the financial long run... the premise of "will" to have our "way" doing something turns into a "why" did I ever do that!!?? :facepalm: :dance: :lol:

‘Tis better to have dreamt and lost, than to never have dreamt at all.

The tug, David B, was left stranded on a beach for decades when the Alaskan river it was docked in changed course, forcing the cannery where it worked out of to relocate.

Someone realized her potential and dragged her a quarter mile to where the river now flowed, beginning a keel up restoration. They even kept its original 1928, 6 foot tall, 3 cylinder, 100hp engine.

Dare to Dream!!!

Last edited:
I have friends that have seriously looked at it. They loved it but the owner seems firm on the price. Who knows what another 6 months will bring though.

When the owner is going into a fourth winter with the boat unsold, the price will flex...

The tug, David B, was left stranded on a beach for decades when the Alaskan river it was docked in changed course, forcing the cannery where it worked out of to relocate.

Someone realized her potential and dragged her a quarter mile to where the river now flowed, beginning a keel up restoration. They even kept its original 1928, 6 foot tall, 3 cylinder, 100hp engine.

Dare to Dream!!!

Dreams are good! So is success. Losing not so good. Ya win some. Ya lose some. And, the rest come out draws! Tis better to win more than lost!!

If I ever saw it go by, I would stand at attention and salute.

I love the way it says, “dug-a-da dug-a-da dug-a-da” :D

Dare to Dream!!!

Damn good video. :thumb:

Wow. That current! Not sure my boat would make much headway through that.

Love that boat. What is it?

There is a reason why boats go through Dodd Narrows near slack. At full ebb or flood he wouldn't have made it against the current.

So that was almost slack tide? Sheesh.

You have 2' tides, right? They're a little bigger here.

Here's the entrance to Foch Lagoon (note standing waves with exploding tops) where the entrance is "slack" about 45 minutes after slack in Douglas Channel. Disconcerting, to say the least, to be standing at the low tide line in the channel and look up at the waterline in the lagoon :eek:

Attachments

• Foch Lagoon Rapids.jpg
    Foch Lagoon Rapids.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

As Murray indicated, Dodd Narrows is just one of a number of passes in the area with significant current. Dodd really isn't even that fast compared to many it is just that it sits right to the South of a larger city with lots of commercial and recreational traffic.

To make it even more interesting, it is really narrow (about 50 meters?) and it has a dogleg. So usually traffic goes through one way. Boats line up waiting for slack on either side of the narrows. You can't see the opposite end so boats make a securite call before entering. Local etiquette has the boats going the direction of the fading current first, then the boats go through as the current starts to pick up from the opposite direction. You can easily get a dozen boats waiting on either side of the Narrows waiting for slack.

Very entertaining to see a tug pull a log boom through the narrows against an increasing current. The last time we went through, a pod of Orca swam right up through the fleet of boats to the South of the narrows waiting to go through to the North. The Orca didn't seem interested in waiting their turn and there were a bunch of boats trying to stay out of their way, idle their engines down, keep clear of other boats and clear the narrows before the current kicked up again.

Gnarly! Yeah tides are 2’ where I am in FL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom