Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pictures in post 5456 are of a Schucker motorsailer. I own one and Im typing right now on it. The fact that so many are still on the water and that some go to a lot of time and expense to modified them I think speaks of the general quality of the original build. They stopped making them around 1980 or 1981. Very fuel efficient cruiser.

This is a sail boat conversation or perhaps a de-masted motor sailer. Look at photo 1 and 2. You can see the mast rigging tie-ins on the side hull.
Also explains the sugar-scoop too.

Good catch Dan.

This is a sail boat conversation or perhaps a de-masted motor sailer. Look at photo 1 and 2. You can see the mast rigging tie-ins on the side hull.
Also explains the sugar-scoop too.
Correct. They are called Terminal Trawlers. Duckworks had a good page on them but it has somehow gotten lost since they started changing over to their new webpage format.

The pictures in post 5456 are of a Schucker motorsailer. I own one and Im typing right now on it. The fact that so many are still on the water and that some go to a lot of time and expense to modified them I think speaks of the general quality of the original build. They stopped making them around 1980 or 1981. Very fuel efficient cruiser.

Is that a custom or modified transom or did Schucker make a few like Catalina?

The sugar scoop stern on the Schucker is a custom mod. Schucker didn’t make any factory models with that type of stern. Those Schuckers basically have a round bottom with a very shallow box keel and without any sail up roll like a pig in the mud.

The sugar scoop stern on the Schucker is a custom mod. Schucker didn’t make any factory models with that type of stern. Those Schuckers basically have a round bottom with a very shallow box keel and without any sail up roll like a pig in the mud.

Most, if not all, monohull sailboats roll terribly without a mast. If that Schucker was prone to excessive rolling with its mast up but no sail, I would hate to be on it in its present configuration.

I'm just showing this picture because the boat on the right is a Nordhavn. (This is Blake Island in Puget Sound.)

Attachments

• rainbow-5050149.jpg
    rainbow-5050149.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 112
Really cool boat at Bremerton Trawlerfest. New Pacific. A one off steel expedition ship. 98', 22' beam 240 tons. Interior finish was nice, with home style appliances and furniture.

Attachments

• NewPacific-152612.jpg
    NewPacific-152612.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 124
  • newpacific-151634.jpg
    newpacific-151634.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 116
  • NewPacific-151608.jpg
    NewPacific-151608.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 122
  • NewPacific-151213.jpg
    NewPacific-151213.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 123
  • NewPacific-151229.jpg
    NewPacific-151229.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 133
  • NewPacific-150938.jpg
    NewPacific-150938.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 121
  • NewPacific-150856.jpg
    NewPacific-150856.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 124
  • NewPacific-150634.jpg
    NewPacific-150634.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 128
  • NewPacific-151220.jpg
    NewPacific-151220.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 128
That looks like a floating tank! I am not sure I would build parts bins around the engine, and then not paint the raw steel framing of the parts bins before installing it..

I like the overhead storage of the paddles and fishing rods and the shot of the toolbox. Nice toolbox! Almost like yours! :)

I like the overhead storage of the paddles and fishing rods and the shot of the toolbox. Nice toolbox! Almost like yours! :)

I know! When I was in the engine room, I'm thinking "I thought I had a big toolbox!"

And those parts bins, those were really cool. I designed one of the cabinets in the Laz to hold a drawer unit I found on Amazon for about $30 or something (it will be behind a door). I saw his and really felt deflated with my amateur action.

Correct. They are called Terminal Trawlers. Duckworks had a good page on them but it has somehow gotten lost since they started changing over to their new webpage format.

Ben,
There’s a website on FB called “Terminal Trawlers”. Run by an odd duck that’s a serious minimalist.
When I first bought a trawler I was into converting a sailboat. The ideal hull would have a high prismatic coefficient and fery few sailboats have a high PC. Then I bought an Sweedish Albin.

This boat is fake!!! Look at the last picture, the cables at the bottom are not even connected pffffff lol :)

L

Really cool boat at Bremerton Trawlerfest. New Pacific. A one off steel expedition ship. 98', 22' beam 240 tons. Interior finish was nice, with home style appliances and furniture.
Where does it stop?

If we were 5 ft longer we could have .........
And if we were 5 ft longer again.........

I reckon 80ft would be the number for us.
I would love to be able to have a 20ft vnose punt with drop down front on the bow that could carry my 650 motorcycle that was ridden daily but hasn't been used in the past 2 years.
But,reality is it'll be cheaper to rent vehicles when needed vs having that extra 20ft of boat.

Ben,
There’s a website on FB called “Terminal Trawlers”. Run by an odd duck that’s a serious minimalist.
When I first bought a trawler I was into converting a sailboat. The ideal hull would have a high prismatic coefficient and fery few sailboats have a high PC. Then I bought an Sweedish Albin.
:thumb:

I'm not on FB.

Interesting in that it had me chortling, gagging, snickering, and shaking my head the whole video. Pretty exceptional in it's complete lack of balance in design elements, like someone cut & pasted a bunch of magazine article photos together.

Then again, someone loved it enough to make it...

Id paint it pink :rolleyes:

There go my good friends Dave & Emma on their Fishboat conversion Midnight Sun. I can't think of anything on that boat that isn't done Right.
Original build was 1938, fished until 2001, when Dave bought her. Spent about 5 years on the conversion, with obviously successful results.
She is attending the Seattle Yacht Club opening day on Saturday, so just touring till then. Then back to Vancouver for our own Royal Vancouver Yacht Club opening day the following Saturday.

Here she is at the Sailpast...........looking good!:thumb:

Attachments

• Sailpast.jpg
    Sailpast.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Mike,
Is that the Husky Stadium on Lake Washington?

Hi Just Bob,

Was the NEW PACIFIC for sale or being shown to promote the builder? We saw her in Port Townsend just last weekend - and admired her as always. Even if I could afford it, I don't envision a needle gun in my retirement plans.

This is the new power boat from Pogo. A Loxo 32. They've built up a good name for building fast efficient cruising sail boats.

This one burns 1/2 a litre per nautical mile (the same as I do), but does it at 10-12 knots. This equates to about 1.5 US gallons/hr)

I don't really care for the looks (or the Volvo saildrives) but I'm impressed by the efficiency.

Attachments

• 170919_RIOU_STRUCTURES_1005-V3.jpg
    170919_RIOU_STRUCTURES_1005-V3.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 109
So this on the river yesterday while we were out , not sure what it is .

Attachments

• 8A14C013-A17C-4E93-901B-860BD38BE6BB.jpg
    8A14C013-A17C-4E93-901B-860BD38BE6BB.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 132

Saw her heading north just as we rounded Point White (Bainbridge Island). Absolutely gorgeous and somewhat imposing underway.

I think so RT . At first I thought it was a Cheoy Lee but after looking hard at it I think it’ s Burger.

Big ol' Burger came to mind... soon as I saw the forward cabin windows.

Back
Top Bottom