Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s perhaps a dangerous boat. Because it’s one of these boats I look at and say “I can fix that!”

Attachments

• Samson.jpg
    Samson.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 117
Odd things about Scout...

One strange thing about this boat (for some people) is the lack of headroom. I emailed the broker a couple of years ago— the headroom is only 6’ throughout most of the boat.

I looked for the old email and couldn’t find it, but I’m pretty sure I’m not misremembering.

I saw one photo where it looked like the heads were regular household toilets. That and the big back yard swim platform were enough to turn me off.

IMG_0453.jpg

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. I’ve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

Sure rains a lot up here.

Find a patch of old growth rain forest, preferably with a stream during salmon season, and take a walk during a heavy rain where everything is dripping, the stream is running fast but clean, and mist is rolling through the trees...then it’ll all make sense.

Last edited:
Re the colors you’re probably just conservative. But you’re right the fabrics are awfull. I’d change them before showing the boat. Blue on the hull would be nice.
But I can’t belive you compared the Nordhavn 46 to this red thing. Not even from the same planet. Not slam’in you as your posts are usually knowledgeable and interesting. You must see something I don’t. Or I see something you don’t .... like that awfull hull. Forget the color what were you actually seeing here?

Actually the comparison to the Nordy's were for completely different thoughts,

There is a resemblance to the N40 in the overall above the waterline look, large frontal percentage, high bow.

Looking at the comparison to the N46, there are few boats that really fit into this category.. KK42 is really the only competition. But as most use N46's as coastal cruisers this boat, if it is as fuel miserly as advertised fits into this group. It also appears to be laid out pretty well, appears to have nice joinery, has long legs, and appears to have quite the living cube for a 40' "trawler type".
I would investigate this boat if I was in the market for a KK42 for sure.. It and some of the Diesel Ducks are only the real competition for the small Nordhavn's.

As I have never seen a nova Scotia in person I cannot attest to it quality.

I do still stand by my thoughts on the tacky colors/patterns/mural on the boat... but of course that is just an opinion.

Hollywood

Attachments

• red boat 2.jpg
    red boat 2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 121
  • red boat.jpg
    red boat.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 133
Hi Murray, I was born and raised in ??????? Scotland. Nothing new for me tramping around the hills in the rain. I enjoy it tremendously. But I do miss the hefty doses of vitamin D that I get in the US south east.

View attachment 71911

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. I’ve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

As a trawler, I'd be interested. Masts are to tall for the areas I would take it. Then again, sails up and head over to Europe for a grand tour.

Those sails are more for steadying rather than propulsion. With a high clew on the jib so you can see from the pilothouse you have very little effective area. On my Dad's boat we could sail at about three knots with a gale aft of the beam. We did have a boom and a main but decided that the open array radar was more useful. Also you make a lot of leeway with a trawler hull.
13029-albums488-picture2835.jpg

View attachment 71911

:nonono:

Love the colors on this boat, as well the boat. A very nice boat for the PNW.:thumb:

The PNW is not burning up, flooding, have tornadoes, hurricanes, freezing,rioting. Life has its moments, but the PNW is not sharing them at the moment.:)
A bit wet? Try the 150 plus inches annual average here in Ketchikan.
To some that is really wet. To those of us who choose to reside her in the PNW with the greatest of pleasure would take issue with the conclusion drawn.:dance::smitten: Just saying

Hollywood have you noticed how little that big red thing draws. Can’t weigh very much and w all that house the CG can’t be very low.

Hollywood have you noticed how little that big red thing draws. Can’t weigh very much and w all that house the CG can’t be very low.

If the color is the only thing that stops a sale, paint it any color you want, AFTER you buy it.

Doesn't look like is draws much water. I would have thought it would draw about 4 or 5 feet.

Actually the comparison to the Nordy's were for completely different thoughts,

There is a resemblance to the N40 in the overall above the waterline look, large frontal percentage, high bow.

Looking at the comparison to the N46, there are few boats that really fit into this category.. KK42 is really the only competition. But as most use N46's as coastal cruisers this boat, if it is as fuel miserly as advertised fits into this group. It also appears to be laid out pretty well, appears to have nice joinery, has long legs, and appears to have quite the living cube for a 40' "trawler type".
I would investigate this boat if I was in the market for a KK42 for sure.. It and some of the Diesel Ducks are only the real competition for the small Nordhavn's.

As I have never seen a nova Scotia in person I cannot attest to it quality.

I do still stand by my thoughts on the tacky colors/patterns/mural on the boat... but of course that is just an opinion.

Hollywood

I think it’s a nice looking boat, there are a few others floating around on Yachtworld...from the photos the fit and finish look very nice, additionally, Nova Scotia has a long and respectable boat building heritage..if I’m not mistaken that red one has some hull core sample thickness on display, looks substantial..Happy New Year everyone..

Find a patch of old growth rain forest, preferably with a stream during salmon season, and take a walk during a heavy rain where everything is dripping, the stream is running fast but clean, and mist is rolling through the trees...then it’ll all make sense.

:flowers:Amen Brother, Amen!!! In spades!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

:nonono:

Love the colors on this boat, as well the boat. A very nice boat for the PNW.:thumb:

The PNW is not burning up, flooding, have tornadoes, hurricanes, freezing,rioting. Life has its moments, but the PNW is not sharing them at the moment.:)

A bit wet? Try the 150 plus inches annual average here in Ketchikan.

To some that is really wet. To those of us who choose to reside her in the PNW with the greatest of pleasure would take issue with the conclusion drawn.:dance::smitten: Just saying

Not, sure I drew any conclusion other than it has rained a lot while I’ve been here. [emoji943] [emoji41]. I let the readers make up there own conclusions on whether that’s a good thing.

And I found the boat pictured interesting.

I have visited Ketchikan and will likely do so again. I brought my plane up to Alaska in the summer of 2012 and had a blast touring around the state. I was looking at routes today to spend a boating season there. We shall see.

Not, sure I drew any conclusion other than it has rained a lot while I’ve been here. [emoji943] [emoji41]. I let the readers make up there own conclusions on whether that’s a good thing.

And I found the boat pictured interesting.

I have visited Ketchikan and will likely do so again. I brought my plane up to Alaska in the summer of 2012 and had a blast touring around the state. I was looking at routes today to spend a boating season there. We shall see.

And you shall be welcome!!:flowers::thumb:

Eric,
Check out the specs of both the N40 and the Nova Scotia..

Both draw 4' 8/9"

Also the Nova Scotia is a whopping 3'2" wider in beam.

The N40 is listed at 37000, according to the N.Scotia specs its tipping the scales at 50,000.. that sounds REALLY heavy, my Ocean Alexander 40 is 26,000 according to the travel lift in P.T. and thats loaded with a ton of crap and a big dinghy.

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited:
1959 Western Craft

Attachments

• deanzaiii-1087454.jpg
    deanzaiii-1087454.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 113
That’s a long way from being either a trawler or a yacht. Looks like an older Dutch or German built coastal cargo ship, one hatch, one hold. Can carry quite a bit of cargo. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it used for drug or gun running or other illicit activity especially if trading certificates are expired.

Looks like periscope targets from WWII

Eric,
Check out the specs of both the N40 and the Nova Scotia..

Both draw 4' 8/9"

Also the Nova Scotia is a whopping 3'2" wider in beam.

The N40 is listed at 37000, according to the N.Scotia specs its tipping the scales at 50,000.. that sounds REALLY heavy, my Ocean Alexander 40 is 26,000 according to the travel lift in P.T. and thats loaded with a ton of crap and a big dinghy.

HOLLYWOOD

See’in is beliv’in they say and of course that may or may not be legitimate. As viewed from the side there’s not much boat below the WL. If the boat was heavy the weight would push the boat down. But having a flat bottom means there’s more support per inch (or whatever) so that could explain it to some degree. Perhaps your weight numbers wern’t achieved in the same way. Apples and prunes so to speak. And I pay little or no attention to Nordhavn’s so I can’t argue w you there.

IMO theres something wrong w that big red boat. Just my opinion. Still.
But if you want to hang your hat on it .........

I've seen this boat several times in Green Cove Springs, Fl. I assure you she draws all of 5'. Shes a beast. I have never seen her in the water but did see her sistership in Jax while it was for sale. I didn't see how many hours on her engine,did I miss it?

Back
Top Bottom