Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cross breeding between a Willard and a Manatee. Much like a mule, me-thinks this is a sterile one-off;

1998 Willard W-30 Live Aboard Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Sadly, the only thing that pricked my attention re this boat is the black pipe "thingy" in the toilet bowl - is it to change the direction of the waste going down the bowl so it can be used in the southern hemisphere:lol:.

Apart from that, anyone know what it is? A sprayer so it can be multifunction?

We know it is a 6 cylinder. That narrows it down to 112hp or 150hp or 180hp
Given the length of the boat and the steel hull, we can discount the 112hp engine. I am betting on the 180.

There is much missing specs missing in the boat's description.
When you look at it, gather up all the information and let us know, please.

It looks like a Gardner 6L3B, about 170 BHP at about 1100 RPM. Have a look on YOUTUBE, there's plenty of footage on there. Gardner's are regarded as the Rolls Royce of diesel engines in the UK. There reliability is legendary, fuel consumption unbeatable. My own Gardner was new in 1970. Gardner's were the engine of choice in the Routemaster Buses, you know the old double decker London buses.

Ya know, if I was a single young guy living in San Diego, I could see me on this.

And yes, I know, Manatees have often been the butt of my jokes on this site.

I like KK Manatees and like (most!) Willards. This boat is an insult to both! It would make a good dockside condo.

I like KK Manatees and like (most!) Willards. This boat is an insult to both! It would make a good dockside condo.

I agree. It's a great dockside condo!. Amazing use of space on a 30 foot boat.

Sure- it lost its traditional lines, but it certainly is a well designed transformation. I love the way they managed to fit stairs to the flybridge in this application.

Sadly, the only thing that pricked my attention re this boat is the black pipe "thingy" in the toilet bowl - is it to change the direction of the waste going down the bowl so it can be used in the southern hemisphere:lol:.

That pipe appears to make it impossible to raise the seat which means, the men are in trouble again.

That pipe appears to make it impossible to raise the seat which means, the men are in trouble again.

That black pipe is the crank handle on a C-Head composting (actually desicating) toilet. If your going to go the composting head route, I think its much better design than Airhead or others.

Must be some sort of attachment to do bidet duty also. I have seen some, in North Africa, similar idea but just a piece of bent copper waterline with a valve to provide a spray.
There also seems to be a board with a knob in the toilet bowl, maybe to cover the drain, no telling why?
Overall the interior of this boat looks quite nice, looks like documentation numbers at the upper (only?) helm.

Ya know, if I was a single young guy living in San Diego, I could see me on this.

And yes, I know, Manatees have often been the butt of my jokes on this site.

As a Manatee owner and great admirer of Willard 30 vessels, it’s high time we witnessed this design taken to the pinnacle of its dockside potential. :socool:

I kindda had a wild dream of going over to Queensland and taking a a look at this escape vehicle, sure looks like a great prospect for a live aboard. Not quite a Romsdal by any stretch of the imagination.

<H3>LV248 - offers around $70,000 considered owners diversifying
17.35x5.15x2.7 steel, aft wheelhouse Detroit 8V71, 223.7kw, Allison 4:1, 6BTA 100kva, Fiat 4 cyl 50kva,17,000 fuel, 5 berth, 4,000L water, toilt & shower, 15T freezer room, Windlass hydraulic deck winches, 3B Cert of Reg, fwd stowing cargo gantry, fwd & aft live tanks, power pack for hyd, 1x6 cyl. Cummins genset, 1x4cyl Iveco genset, aircon, slipped and antifouled/painted, QLD Cert of Op

</H3>

I'll be down right away to pick her up. LOL, I see the potential for a good offshore cruise and fish vessel. To bad, I gave up fishing in my 20's.

I'm confused by the very high bulwark on the port side. Why?

LV282-26-1.jpg

Hmm. Ok. So it's just a facade? Are those lights? Something for fishing? I'm still confused.

I agree, it's an interesting boat!

Shelter from the elements. They haul on the stbd side, long hours in all conditions.
It’s not so much for comfort as it is to keep the fishermen and catch from washing overboard!

It looks like a Gardner 6L3B, about 170 BHP at about 1100 RPM... Gardner's were the engine of choice in the Routemaster Buses, you know the old double decker London buses.

The 6L3 was a locomotive, marine, and stationary plant engine, too big and heavy for a bus. The 6LW and 6LX were the bus engines -- they weigh about 1/4 as much as a 6L3 -- and were also installed in a lot of boats.

I kindda had a wild dream of going over to Queensland and taking a a look at this escape vehicle, sure looks like a great prospect for a live aboard. Not quite a Romsdal by any stretch of the imagination.

I think you should buy it. LOL

Cardude, that has been cleared up for you, but this is an interesting boat to me. Some of the Icelandic fishing boats have asymmetrical cockpit coaming for protection from the extreme weather. Not enough protection for me.

AIMG_4412.jpg

AIMG_4494.jpg

This is great,
Getting back to truly interesting boats!

The 6L3 was a locomotive, marine, and stationary plant engine, too big and heavy for a bus. The 6LW and 6LX were the bus engines -- they weigh about 1/4 as much as a 6L3 -- and were also installed in a lot of boats.

I didn't mean 6l3s were in buses but that Gardner's were used in buses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom