Old 08-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #3681
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rustybarge wrote;
"It appears that even the super rich are concerned about fuel consumption"

Rusty I don't think they are. The rich buy what's popular ... like others. I've seen many "rich" people buy the (green but not economy) car Prius. They need the economy like a hole in their boat but if it's vouge most people buy. It's hard to imagine that the TF people that talk about fuel consumption are short on fuel buying power but it's vouge to appear to be.

Re the boat you posted, unlike a lot of "boats" that get put on here this one is truly interesting. I think I've seen some of the other boats you speak of. NA have trends and vouge designs mostly out of necessity. A NA is a great creator but also an extension of the buyers wishes. And the customers wishes probably open doors to new ideas the NA dos'nt or didn't have. This type you speak of was born of the oil issue to a great extent I'm sure but evolved now because of another element that came along. Like the "eco" trend.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #3682
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Rustybarge wrote;
"It appears that even the super rich are concerned about fuel consumption"

Rusty I don't think they are. The rich buy what's popular ... like others. I've seen many "rich" people buy the (green but not economy) car Prius. They need the economy like a hole in their boat but if it's vouge most people buy. It's hard to imagine that the TF people that talk about fuel consumption are short on fuel buying power but it's vouge to appear to be.

Re the boat you posted, unlike a lot of "boats" that get put on here this one is truly interesting. I think I've seen some of the other boats you speak of. NA have trends and vouge designs mostly out of necessity. A NA is a great creator but also an extension of the buyers wishes. And the customers wishes probably open doors to new ideas the NA dos'nt or didn't have. This type you speak of was born of the oil issue to a great extent I'm sure but evolved now because of another element that came along. Like the "eco" trend.
Here's the Wally Ace ' fast displacement' ...

Old 08-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #3683
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I always felt Steve Jobs yacht Venus borrowed heavily from Wally Yachts for exterior design cues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472317809.482107.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	55622

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #3684
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I always felt Steve Jobs yacht Venus borrowed heavily from Wally Yachts for exterior design cues.

Attachment 55622
I think Venus is stretched one step too far, the proportions are all wrong, IMO of course....
Old 08-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #3685
Guru

Interesting boats

I agree but Venus and A are IMO the only two large yachts that anyone had the guts to separate themselves from the herd design wise in decades. Making them both quite interesting by definition.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472318469.288733.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	55623

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #3686
Guru

Quote:
I agree but Venus and A are IMO the only two large yachts that anyone had the guts to separate themselves from the herd design wise in decades. Making them both quite interesting by definition.

Attachment 55623
'A' should be renamed ' Surface Sub 101' ...lol.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #3687

City: PICKWICK LAKE, BEAR CREEK
Vessel Model: Tiara 33 - Open - twin perkins
Looks like a fast attack Navy ship

" Amazing Grace How Sweet the Sound"
BinkleyBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #3688
Guru

Dashew FPB's are another design that borrowed cues from the early Wallycraft too.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472319183.226894.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	55624

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472319275.191665.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	55625

Old 08-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #3689
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:

Attachment 55622

I always thought they got their "design" from a wedge of cheese

HOLLYWOOD
Attached Thumbnails
parmesan_cheese_1366994768.jpg  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #3690
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
70-year-old ferry that used to be crammed with 150 passengers is now a cosy houseboat | Daily Mail Online

$145K (US) seems just a bit steep to me BUT it does have a saloon...
Old 09-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #3691

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt firefly View Post
greetings,
70-year-old ferry that used to be crammed with 150 passengers is now a cosy houseboat | daily mail online

$145k (us) seems just a bit steep to me but it does have a saloon...
cool interior
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #3692
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Esthetics in boat design is extremely personal. I know what I like and it may not be what the next person likes. Like art. My tastes run to what I consider to be the pleasing lines of the traditional. Build or buy what you like, especially if you can afford to do so and not worry about being able to sell it down the line.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #3693
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I always thought they got their "design" from a wedge of cheese

HOLLYWOOD
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #3694
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
David there are many variables in art that are considered good and/or bad. For example a subject in a picture that appears to be moving should be not centered but placed a little in the opposite direction the object is moving. Like a boat moving to the right would be placed a bit to the left. I have heard "to give it room to go". And there is much to learn about compatability of lines, colors, type of shapes, composition ect.

So the old saying "in the eye of the beholder" is not true. Personal taste only indicates if a specific person likes the creation. Whether it is good style, art or whatever will be based on the elements of art and design. Not just any old person's likes or dislikes. But many times the elements of art and design are neutral. So often likes and dislikes are as valid as the opinions of experts. But I only have a minor in art.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #3695
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:

Attachment 55623
Those two boats where designed by the same guy, and now a third one,.... the very ugly sailing Yacht "A"

I wrote on another forum:
I have been trying to make some sense of this Russian owner, but I can't really come up with anything but that he is caught up in this 'Mine's Bigger' frame of mind.
I don't see where he has any interest or knowledge of boats in his background. It appears as thought he doesn't even entertain onboard to any extent,...why own a vessel (or 2 now) of such a huge dimensions??

His power yacht, the first "A', I believe came about as a result of the US Navy's initial work on the DD21 Arsenal Ship. Why not built a 'civilian version' of that unique design. Certainly would be a most talked about vessel around the world ! The DD21 became the SC21, and that evolved into the current Zumwalt' vessel design. (The Zumwalt class tumblehome hull is derived from that of the DD-21).

Rather interestingly, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SC-21_(United_States)
Quote:
In a separate study in 1993, two French students had been assigned the design of a Large Capacity Missile Ship, a 20,000-tonner with 500 VLS cells filled with land-attack missiles.[11] This design was inspired by a RAND paper in that year, which suggested a land invasion could be halted by destroying 20% of its vehicles with precision munitions.[12] This would take several days with aircraft, but a surface ship with large numbers of land-attack missiles could achieve the same effect almost instantly.
So now he decides to challenge the sailing side of things. After all Tom Perkins had certainly made quite a big splash in the world with his development and subsequent building of the Maltese Falcon.

But what an extremely poor effort for someone who has supposedly had the smarts to build this huge fortune of money. I can only think that this guy has been very lucky to have made all that money, by just being at the right place and time in history,...not by his superior intellect or super tech developments, or individual achievements
He was there at the time the USSR was undergoing some big changes, and he happen to set up some banking deals for another MAJOR Russian oligarch who was already making millions. That took him into the processes that allowed him to make so much money off of the Russian natural resources,...as a few of these guys have done.

So back to his sailing vessel. Does anyone believe that this thing is really going to be able to sail? Look at the huge windage that this hull design has. And who wants to be on the upper decks or pilot house when this thing heels over? ...not me. ( I recall this similar subject came up as well during the development of Maltese Falcon).

This boat is a disaster waiting to happen.

I can only hope that the owner is never able to bring a lawsuit against the shipyard with respect to this ill-conceived design project.

Sailing Yacht "A"
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #3696
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
F/V Petrel
Has anybody been following this blog ? I just stumbled on it a couple days ago . I like the way he is venting the old fish hold .Its just a simple maybe 4" pipe hooked to a round spinning roof vent . I was wondering if this works good and if I could rig up something on William like this maybe even two . I need some ventilation below the aft deck.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #3697
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
When I was in the U.K. Last month, I saw vans with a spinning vent on their roof. They stuck out a couple of inches and were 4 inches in diameter.

I don't know how effective they were but they were popular over there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wind-Driven.../dp/B0079HPD4A

US vendor
https://www.inlad.com/flettner-rotar...cx-2?page_id=1

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #3698
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I wonder how well they would work in low wind situations? It is one thing to vent a van driving down the highway at 50mph, but for a boat at anchor with 5 knots of wind?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:00 AM   #3699
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Was out very early yesterday morning exploring Casco Bay in the whaler and saw this aluminum gem.

That's the setting moon, not rising sun
Old 09-18-2016, 03:03 AM   #3700
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
Was out very early yesterday morning exploring Casco Bay in the whaler and saw this aluminum gem.

That's the setting moon, not rising sun

Arr the moon It dosnt look like Japan
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote