Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. A. "Doubt Otto took the pict..." And why not?

Airplane-autopilot.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. g. MY question is: Why is Mr. mp on deck without a life preserver whilst under way AND under auto pilot?

Note those very high and sturdy rails and raised edge on the deck. While I fully support the use of PFDs whilst on a foredeck, he would have to work pretty hard to go over the side there.

Note those very high and sturdy rails and raised edge on the deck. While I fully support the use of PFDs whilst on a foredeck, he would have to work pretty hard to go over the side there.

I don't know... if you consider the CG of the Leo D. wannabe the high rails may not be sufficient to keep said individual from going for a swim if a greasy haired gold chain wearing schmo in a SeaRay passes by at flank speed.
HOLLYWOOD :smitten:

If ever I saw a man that would relish and enjoy a flybridge :)

Gas....you can tell Mark isn't on a fly bridge, cuz if he was, he'd have both hands in the air!

Attachments

• mark on flybridge.jpg
    mark on flybridge.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 51
Gas....you can tell Mark isn't on a fly bridge, cuz if he was, he'd have both hands in the air!

In my teenage years, I was the foredeck man handling the launching and recovery of the spinnaker during races, (in strong-winded San Francisco Bay) without PFD or handrails. ... Presently, have absolutely no need for a flying bridge and unafraid to be on deck during calm conditions without a PFD, unless sailing solo.

On the Coot:

Last edited:
In my teenage years, I was the foredeck man handling the launching and recovery of the spinnaker during races... without PFD or handrails. ...
Ah, those were the days.... I did that, good balance required, especially when gybing, with spinnaker pole detached one or both ends. I remember reading an early Americas Cup boat used a monkey on the foredeck.

Boat hull that size and shape needs walk around decks all at one level.

Really? If you shaved 5' off the canoe stern and squared off its butt, it would be the same length as Slow Hand and be 'pretty much' what you have :socool: :whistling::hide:

Last edited:
Murray,
I cut off roll bars but not propper sterns. The stern is great ..... the windows in the aft cabin are'nt.
And otherwise a really great boat IMO. As to the walk arount decks Ted has a point but underway who cares? And it looks like Ted's boat is clearly lacking in this regard. Perhaps that's why he likes the walk around decks. It's obviously a can't have everything question. I have walk around decks on a 30 footer and would rather have the wider salon.

Yah, I was being facesious (feces-ish?) trying to make a point.

The boat in question is most definitely designed to be going somewhere far, far away as opposed to going from dock to dock.

The stern would be great in our area, as long inlets and channels combined with opposing currents to wind make for steep, breaking seas.

Last edited:
Really? If you shaved 5' off the canoe stern and squared off its butt, it would be the same length as Slow Hand and be 'pretty much' what you have :socool: :whistling::hide:
Maybe you should look a little harder.:rolleyes:

Ok, let's try this again. The boat has a heavy off shore displacement hull. Depending on how it was setup and size of fuel tanks, it could be a passagemaker. The hull is clearly designed for heavy seas and off shore fishing. I have a coastal recreational trawler. Slow Hand has hard chines, shallow draft, and no ballast. It's good for the Carrabean and maybe, if you feel lucky, a trip to Bermuda (700 to 800 miles). Passagemakers need to shed water. While there are plenty of scuppers on the sides, I much prefer the open side decks and stern of a KK42. To me the stern house or whatever it's called, should have walkways and scuppers around and behind it. With a hull like that, it should have house structure like a Romsdal.

That's my opinion; worth what you paid for it.

Ted

Maybe you should look a little harder.:rolleyes:

Sorry, Ted...still not seeing your walk around decks all on one level on Slow Hand...

Anyways, there is no perfect boat, only one with the least amount of compromises for the owner so there's a slim chance we'll agree, and that's all right :thumb:

Last edited:
Sorry, Ted...still not seeing your walk around decks all on one level on Slow Hand...
Exactly my point. Slow Hand wasn't designed for off shore passage making. The other vessel clearly has a pedigree for that. Slow Hand wasn't designed to be out in 8' seas and doesn't need the side walkways and water shedding capability. The other boat by the nature of it's original use, was probably designed to handle 8' seas and more.

Would be interesting to see what that boat looked like before they added the aft cabin.

Ted

Right, now I see what you're getting at. I could suffer with it though, if through some twist of fate it was given to me.

Here's that engine/ballroom for boat above;

Attachments

• Engine:ballroom.jpg
    Engine:ballroom.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom