Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In our local boatyard today. (A small portion of our boat just visible in the background). A little foggy this morning.

An A F Theriault build.

Found her online too.

Pleasure Boats : Bavaria

Attachments

• Bavaria1.jpg
    Bavaria1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Bavaria2.jpg
    Bavaria2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 139
  • Bavaria3.jpg
    Bavaria3.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 114
Greetings,
Mr. s99. GOOD catch. Hmmm....Rear view mirrors. That alone opens a plethora of VERY interesting ideas. Thanks for that.
Oh, and Barvaria...Front half appeals to my eye but back half, not so much. Also, interior looks a bit too much like a Home Depot design for my tastes. Maybe it's the expanse of light wood...

Greetings,
Mr. s99. GOOD catch. Hmmm....Rear view mirrors. That alone opens a plethora of VERY interesting ideas. Thanks for that.
Oh, and Barvaria...Front half appeals to my eye but back half, not so much. Also, interior looks a bit too much like a Home Depot design for my tastes.

A. F. Theriault is known for commercial vessels and some pleasure craft. I have not seen one that was not a bit more commercial than most other designs. Built like tanks but kind of square shouldered.

This seems to be a similar boat to that one, but without the mirrors, and add the flybridge.

2005 AF Theriault & Sons Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Personally, I prefer the 'no bling' workboat heritage that the Theriault boats exude.

Greetings,
Mr. s99. Well, that YW listing is probably one of the best I've seen photo-wise. Indeed an interesting boat.

Greetings,
Mr. s99. Well, that YW listing is probably one of the best I've seen photo-wise. Indeed an interesting boat.

That boat far exceeds the photos on her listing. I was impressed with much of that boat and the detail of how well it was laid out.

There were a few minor things that didn't fit me, like the headroom (I'm over 6' 3" tall and dusted the ceiling frequently. The lazarette was full of headaches if you don't watch it. Two low tech long life engines and lots of fuel to go wherever you want. Getting into the master, there is a step, and a head knocker for me. It wouldn't take but a few times to remember that one tough.

If only Arthritis didn't sideline me...

Stu

I don't recall seeing a "Vehicles Carrier" before:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441825254.322690.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441825290.492246.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441825268.194787.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441825268.194787.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 85
Are those rear view mirrors on the bow railing?

That's something new, for sure!

Stu
Not THAT new. I had to install them on loafs and fishes because of how slow she is. I have to keep an eye out for kayaks and canoes overtaking me. In fact, my boat is so slow...........how slow, you ask?
I have to clean bug splatters off the back windows.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20131025_124357(0).jpg
    20131025_124357(0).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 89
You can laugh at rear view mirrors but I think they are a nice safety item. Whether checking on your skiff/tender being towed or traffic overhauling you in the ICW, a quick check on the mirrors is prudent in my book. Certainly not going to be approved by the Politically correct, yacht club membership.

I don't recall seeing a "Vehicles Carrier" before:
From Sidney I see these things transiting Haro Strait all the time.
Probably every Asian auto in Canada has come up the Fraser River.

Attachments

• 5005193450_ab30b82c5c_m.jpg
    5005193450_ab30b82c5c_m.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 601
You can laugh at rear view mirrors but I think they are a nice safety item. Whether checking on your skiff/tender being towed or traffic overhauling you in the ICW, a quick check on the mirrors is prudent in my book. Certainly not going to be approved by the Politically correct, yacht club membership.

:thumb::thumb:

Mirrors are fairly commonplace in my neck of the woods. House boat crowd takes it to another level and often has big rig style for a great view.

These boats were in the yard yesterday morning. I believe the first one is a Willard. The great big one has been in our harbor for years. It's wood, and I can only assume the owner gets some money toward restoring it and it's hauled and a bunch of work done. Then it goes back in the water and sits for another year or two and then has another burst of work done on it. A number of years ago the entire back end of the hull was completely rebuilt.

I have no idea what it is. I recall hearing that it was originally a naval vessel of some kind, but I don't know that for sure. The props are massive. The yard was very smart in adding a 150 ton Travelift to their original 35 ton lift. The big lift brings in a lot of work, particularly during the winter when the yard is packed with big seiners and combination boats, some down from Alaska.

I don't know what the last boat is, either, but it's real pretty.

Attachments

• Willard B&W.jpg
    Willard B&W.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Patrol.jpg
    Patrol.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 88
  • Patrol 2.jpg
    Patrol 2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Cruiser.jpg
    Cruiser.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Not THAT new. I had to install them on loafs and fishes because of how slow she is. I have to keep an eye out for kayaks and canoes overtaking me. In fact, my boat is so slow...........how slow, you ask?
I have to clean bug splatters off the back windows.:rolleyes:

How do you keep the mirrors clean? At least yours are not clamped to a stanchion.

Stu

These boats were in the yard yesterday morning. I believe the first one is a Willard. The great big one has been in our harbor for years. It's wood, and I can only assume the owner gets some money toward restoring it and it's hauled and a bunch of work done. Then it goes back in the water and sits for another year or two and then has another burst of work done on it. A number of years ago the entire back end of the hull was completely rebuilt.

I have no idea what it is. I recall hearing that it was originally a naval vessel of some kind, but I don't know that for sure. The props are massive. The yard was very smart in adding a 150 ton Travelift to their original 35 ton lift. The big lift brings in a lot of work, particularly during the winter when the yard is packed with big seiners and combination boats, some down from Alaska.

I don't know what the last boat is, either, but it's real pretty.

Geez, Marin - Those props must be 5 +/- foot dia.; judging from ladder rungs resting against boat. Either they turn really slowly or that boat goes like a bat out o' hell at WOT! You ever seen her cruising at speed in open water?

I've never seen the boat move under its own power the entire time its been here which must be at least eight years or so. It's either in the yard or at a pier next to it. It's not a bad-looking vessel. My camera angles are not flattering. I'll try to get more of a side view and post it. Maybe someone like Tad or Hawg will recognize what it is if it was locally grown. Of course I could simply ask the yard manager when we're up relaunching our boat if I remember to.:)

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. W. Thanks but no thanks. I'm hoping this thread will continue on for years. From what I've seen so far 98% are winners...

Marin.

That big one is just beautiful, something I could see myseld agound in Moreton Bay quite happily on. { Moreton Bay is shallow but vast, the loacls will get it } .

David.

David,

I get it alright.

For the non Moreton Bayers - I get a chuckle when I read the threads about how many hundreds of yards of chain and rode people carry - in my experience in the Bay - I am happy if I have more than a metre under the the keel at low tide when I anchor - so for me, 2 metres from bow roller to water, 1 metre to keel 1 meter to bottom - 4 x 8scope (allowing for high tide) means that I could get away with 32 metres of chain and never have a care - I do have considerably more though BTW!! 10 metres in the middle of the Bay is - for us locals - "frighteningly deep":).

Several years ago we chartered a yacht and sailed along Turkeys Mediterranean Coast. Less than a mile off shore, the depth sounder gave up - it couldn`t measure beyond 240m. My wife adapted quickly though. In the bay, she reminds me of the depth when it gets to 3 meters. On that trip she nudged me at 50 metres!
Anchoring was interesting. Pick your spot. Reverse in. About 3 boat lengths from shore put the anchor over and let out as much chain at you had - keep backing until the rudder was close to the bottom and tie off to a tree or rock. My suspicion was the anchor barely touched the bottom as the fall off from the shore was so steep. No problem though as that part of the Med has NO tide - or if it does it is measured in inches/centimetres. In more than two weeks of anchoring and in various weather - no problem.

cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom