Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our smaller, local version, once owned by a movie mogul, built in Stockton if memory serves:

img_297934_0_ddd27dd9542ad5b64ca4cb76b1a1762d.jpg

Last edited:
A Trumpy slips by the Marina on the Okeechobee Waterway, barely a sound.

Attachments

• Trumpy on St. Lucie.jpg
    Trumpy on St. Lucie.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 174
That's a purdy, Purdy!

Would love to see bottom pictures of that fast baby...

Best that I can do:Archived photos of Aphrodite

I'm sure that Tad Roberts can come up with something more detailed, including lines of his magnificent modern interpretation of "Aphrodite", "Liberty".

Attachments

• Liberty.jpg
    Liberty.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

DROOL, DROOL

DROOL, DROOL, DROOL

A Trumpy slips by the Marina on the Okeechobee Waterway, barely a sound.

Larry, I think that boat is from Maine. You will see her tied to the face dock at Boca Grande Marina much us the winter. There is a nice older couple that are on it. Of course, they have a captain.

Don,

I've seen it at Boca Grande Marina. I'll be there again for St. Pat's in March. Maybe it will still be there. What a nice boat. There is a nice really big Feadship Sportfisherman there too named Patriot.

Last edited:
There's a Fisher 30 with the big pilothouse with the backwards slanting windows for sale on Craigslist in Boston. If ya want one, this one looks pretty good, at least in the pictures.

Cheers!

This beauty just popped up on YachtWorld. Maybe I should sell my house ....

Attachments

• Romsdal.jpg
    Romsdal.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 268
Here's one that actually is a "beauty". Those black plastic panels aren't winning me over.

I know Griffin was for sale. Perhaps she's got a new owner that will grace the pages of TF.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 533 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 533 copy.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Best that I can do:Archived photos of Aphrodite

I'm sure that Tad Roberts can come up with something more detailed, including lines of his magnificent modern interpretation of "Aphrodite", "Liberty".

If you google Aphrodite Commuter you can find a hull lines drawing intended for model makers. I don't think I'll release Liberty's lines into the public domain today, but it will happen someday.....

Aphrodite is a round bottom boat, smaller and probably a bit lighter than Liberty. Liberty is a modern vee-bottomed hull (a narrow one) with full-length chine and chine flat. Aphrodite is 74' x 14'6" and Liberty is 80' x 15'0". Aphrodite has twin 1000 HP Cats and Liberty twin 1450HP MAN's. I don't know how much fuel Aphrodite carries, but Liberty has tanks for 2400 usg.

Both boats are capable of running in the mid 30 knot range. Aphrodite was actually built to beat (up Long Island Sound) Liberty's parent, a boat called Saga which is no longer around. If it came to a race today I like to think Liberty will keep going further and faster offshore......

This beauty just popped up on YachtWorld. Maybe I should sell my house ....

Is that a Rhomsdal? funny thing is my last tour in Afghanistan I drew up my dream boat and it resembled the Rhomsdal trawlers but with an extended pilothouse as my boat has a full queen cabin behind it.

Here's Saga, designed and built by Wheeler Shipyard in 1935. She is 69' x 13'5" and original power was twin 750HP V-12 Packards. These were later replaced with V-12 Wright Typhoons of 600 HP each. Engines were aft and ran through vee-drives.

Prior to finalizing the Liberty design, Sonny Hodgdon built a full model which we tested in the towing tank at Webb Institute on Long Island. The model had the spine down the center of the stern, as Saga. Nobody liked it so we had Sonny plane it off, and now everybody assumes Liberty is related to Aphrodite.

Sagasm.jpg

Sagagoing.jpg

Last edited:
Tad - Saga = Beautiful Luxury "Speed" Boat. Thanks!!

You have pictures of Guy Lombardo's fully varnished Luxury "Speed" Boat from mid 1900's. I used to see it speeding all over in LI waters. I believe Guy docked it on Freeport Point. I also recall where his very white house was in a Freeport canal... on the water. In early 60's I was told by shipwrights at a yard that his boat was riddled with rot and loose as a goose in its bottom fasteners.

Boat Cheers! - Art :D

Last edited:
Eric, those plastic panels are solar panels. They probably retract when the boat is running so they don't get smacked on pilings etc.

Tad, If you're ever in need of someone to babysit your computer hard drive for a couple weeks I am always available. ~Craig

Here's Saga, designed and built by Wheeler Shipyard in 1935. She is 69' x 13'5" and original power was twin 750HP V-12 Packards. These were later replaced with V-12 Wright Typhoons of 600 HP each. Engines were aft and ran through vee-drives.

Prior to finalizing the Liberty design, Sonny Hodgdon built a full model which we tested in the towing tank at Webb Institute on Long Island. The model had the spine down the center of the stern, as Saga. Nobody liked it so we had Sonny plane it off, and now everybody assumes Liberty is related to Aphrodite.

View attachment 36538

View attachment 36539

Every once in a while I see you guys speak of the Webb institute always makes me think of one of our neighbors Pete Bethge ( he was a webb Graduate)he moved to Naples

One of the most interesting men I have ever met I think he would be in his 90s now (we have not seen him in about 4-5 years)

You have pictures of Guy Lombardo's fully varnished Luxury "Speed" Boat from mid 1900's. I used to see it speeding all over in LI waters. I believe Guy docked it on Freeport Point. I also recall where his very white house was in a Freeport canal... on the water. In early 60's I was told by shipwrights at a yard that his boat was riddled with rot and loose as a goose in its bottom fasteners.

Boat Cheers! - Art :D

Lombardo's commuter was called Tempo (all his boats were called Tempo xx) with no number. He owned a number of racing hydroplanes as well. It is a 44' Hacker "Huskins" commuter with I think Chrysler engines. This boat has been recently totally restored but it's hard to a decent picture of her.....

Don,

I've seen it at Boca Grande Marina. I'll be there again for St. Pat's in March. Maybe it will still be there. What a nice boat. There is a nice really big Feadship Sportfisherman there too named Patriot.

I think Patriot belongs to the fleet of boats of the owner of the marina. Hillarium in one of those boats.

Lombardo's commuter was called Tempo (all his boats were called Tempo xx) with no number. He owned a number of racing hydroplanes as well. It is a 44' Hacker "Huskins" commuter with I think Chrysler engines. This boat has been recently totally restored but it's hard to a decent picture of her.....

Thanks Tad - That's right... good that you brought my memory back; Tempo - Now I recall that being his boats' name. In 50 +/- years I must have dropped the beat! - LOL

Would love to see it restored. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom