Old 12-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #1281
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
If you go to the cannery museum in Port Edward, take look at Hazel, the little gill netter in there.
Xsbank--- Remind me where Port Edward is. I know where Seal Cove is, of course. Been in and our of there many times. But not sure about Port Edward. Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip across the border. Thanks.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #1282
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Not sure what this is, but it's beautiful looking. Obviously not a boat for planing, but she sure is flat out back.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC0110.jpg   GEDC0109.jpg   GEDC0108.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #1283
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Not sure if the numbers correspond to the camera model, but this may be of interest ... or not

http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_sho...a/e_camera.htm
Thanks a bunch for the link! Nice to know it was made by hand in small Japanese villages as opposed to churned out by some computer controlled spirit suffocating machine.

Pretty sure it's a 45DX and is indeed a fancy-pants cherrywood camera...at least it's not one of those ostentatious, over the top, fancy-dancy-pants rosewood or ebony Wista's.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #1284
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Xsbank--- Remind me where Port Edward is. I know where Seal Cove is, of course. Been in and our of there many times. But not sure about Port Edward. Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip across the border. Thanks.
Well it's a long way across the border. Port Edward is a few miles south of Prince Rupert. When you pass the Ridley Island terminal entering PR, Port Ed is behind it, on Porpoise Harbour where the old pulp mill is. The canneries were all along Inverness Channel, which leads south from Port Ed to the Skeena.

Take the ferry from Port Hardy or drive via Prince George and Terrace.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #1285
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. hh. Friendly Cove II is listed as being built by Provincial Boat and Marine in Kensington (I assume BC.) Yup, shes' purdy...
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...details/826778
Old 12-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #1286
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. hh. Friendly Cove II is listed as being built by Provincial Boat and Marine in Kensington (I assume BC.) Yup, shes' purdy...
Details for registered vessel FRIENDLY COVE II (O.N. 826778)
PEI....that's no BC boat

Provincial Boat and Marine – Manufacturers of 42' and 45' Fiberglass Fishing and Pleasure Boats in Eastern Canada
Old 12-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #1287
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post

Take the ferry from Port Hardy or drive via Prince George and Terrace.
Thanks. We've done the Vancouver-Cache Creek-Prince George-Terrace run several times. Looks like a good excuse to do it again.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #1288
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. TR. Apologies. My Canadian geographic knowledge is somewhat lacking but since the vessel was registered in Victoria BC. I assumed it to be BC built.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #1289
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. TR. Apologies. My Canadian geographic knowledge is somewhat lacking but since the vessel was registered in Victoria BC. I assumed it to be BC built.
NP RT.....it's an odd regional thing. BC used to build a lot of fiberglass, we don't any more. The Maritimes do fiberglass very well, as does Maine south of the border. Now all new build in BC is aluminum....market forces at work....it's almost impossible to find a fiberglass guy here.....
Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #1290
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
What's wrong with (ahem) aluminum?

Thanks for that description of the Port Edward location.

I spent a couple of weeks at the old Sunnyside Cannery at Port Edward sometime in the '60s. Very cool.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #1291
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Marin- Don't know when was the last time you drove the route given. The highway now is about the best road you will drive!! Outstanding construction, passing lanes for slow traffic right. at every opportunity even through the canyon. Timmy Horton and Boston Pitza locations are numrous with great menus. Take in Harrison Hot Springs Resort on the way and enjoy a wonderful German dinner at the Black Forest Resturant. Y
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #1292
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
What's wrong with (ahem) aluminum?

Thanks for that description of the Port Edward location.

I spent a couple of weeks at the old Sunnyside Cannery at Port Edward sometime in the '60s. Very cool.
Nothing wrong with aluminum at all, did not mean to give that impression. Good and bad boats can be built of many materials, all have advantages and disadvantages. The major disadvantage to fiberglass in BC right now is that almost no one does it.

I lived at Oona River on Porcher Island for a couple of years in the early 1980's. I made several trips to Sunnyside salvaging building materials before the owner's tore it down completely. It was pretty exciting up on the roof of the main shed, cutting off nail heads and sending sheets of steel flying down.......
Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #1293
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Marin- Not knowing when the last time you drove the route to Prince Rupert let me advise you the highway route is just in the very best shape any highway can be maintained. The increase in width of the lanes along with a huge increase of slow traffic right lanes you will find impressive. With Tim Horton drive inns, Boston Pizza restaurants being in all the more populated towns the eating menu have vastly improved. Take a extra day and visit The Harrison Hot Springs resort and it's pools. Enjoy a delightful dinner at the Black Forest Inn, great German fare!!..

Now you have me anxious to take a drive down!!
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #1294
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
....it's almost impossible to find a fiberglass guy here.....
But fortunately not impossible to find a wooden boat guy or two.

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #1295

City: Vancouver BC
Here's a nice woody.
Attached Thumbnails
tug conversion.jpg  
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #1296
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Tad, did you know or hear of Rosa Delita? I think she was a school teacher in OOna River?

That was a joke about the aluminum. I can see where the inspiration for my boat hull came from, looking at Friendly Cove.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #1297
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hi Janice... What speed do you cruise and what is your mpg. Must be very economical. I'd not realized size of your boat prior to the above post.

As an interest... in 1948 23' Chris Craft Express, with parents in 40's and three boys (2, 4, 10 yrs old), we cruised New England inland as well as up and down the coast for weeks on end during summers of 1950's. I well recall what fun a 23' boat can be when it's set-up correctly. Dad was a master at boat interior layout with all sorts of nifty designed items that were utilized in many ways to make that 23 footer comfortably accommodate all five of us.

As we boys grew... so did boat sizes. eventually it was a 37' raised deck, flying bridge, sport fish beauty that dad and I completely refinished over a period of several years. Turned her into an enclosed salon family boat! What fun!!
At five knots with the BOB Volvo, she burned just less than a quart per hour. So 20mph. There was literally not so much as a ripple when the boat moved through the water. I went blazing (okay, so it was just 5 knots!) by the FWC (Florida Water Cops) in a Slow/No Wake zone without blinking an eye.

There'd be movement of water aft but nothing. It was crazy wonderful.
That was a 15hp motor running at 1100rpm.

The new Kubota is 18hp and a friend has this same motor in his tractor. He says at 1750rpm the tractor burns 1 liter in two hours. I am curious as to what my results will be moving through the water and assume it will be less than him barreling through the woods on his property on four wheels.

We shall see. Even at 20mph I've a range of nearly 750 miles.

Seaweed is quite a little boat.

I knew a gal named Susan that lived on a 25' Chris Craft when I was a kidlet. She had a dog named Rags. Her daddy lived on a sports-fish and mom had a double cabin yacht-boat. When they moved, all three boats went in ducky-style, one after the other.

Dad fished and drank. Mom shopped and drank. Daughter and I played pirates and Indians.

The 40'er I grew up aboard (a sedan cruiser) started out a bow with a small windshield and a little overhang. The engine was boxed in and I rode my tricycle around the box. Later the cabin (saloon) overhead was extended (many times, over the years) and the boat of course evolved.

Don't tell you-know-who, but she ended up with a fly-bridge. If you own something nearly 50 years though it's natural to change things as needed/desired.

Seaweed is changing too -- it's why I could pick a boat that wasn't all I needed on purchase. I knew that with time I'd add the things to make her more.

So far, so good.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #1298
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
At five knots with the BOB Volvo, she burned just less than a quart per hour. So 20mph. There was literally not so much as a ripple when the boat moved through the water. I went blazing (okay, so it was just 5 knots!) by the FWC (Florida Water Cops) in a Slow/No Wake zone without blinking an eye.

There'd be movement of water aft but nothing. It was crazy wonderful.
That was a 15hp motor running at 1100rpm.

The new Kubota is 18hp and a friend has this same motor in his tractor. He says at 1750rpm the tractor burns 1 liter in two hours. I am curious as to what my results will be moving through the water and assume it will be less than him barreling through the woods on his property on four wheels.

We shall see. Even at 20mph I've a range of nearly 750 miles.

Seaweed is quite a little boat.

I knew a gal named Susan that lived on a 25' Chris Craft when I was a kidlet. She had a dog named Rags. Her daddy lived on a sports-fish and mom had a double cabin yacht-boat. When they moved, all three boats went in ducky-style, one after the other.

Dad fished and drank. Mom shopped and drank. Daughter and I played pirates and Indians.

The 40'er I grew up aboard (a sedan cruiser) started out a bow with a small windshield and a little overhang. The engine was boxed in and I rode my tricycle around the box. Later the cabin (saloon) overhead was extended (many times, over the years) and the boat of course evolved.

Don't tell you-know-who, but she ended up with a fly-bridge. If you own something nearly 50 years though it's natural to change things as needed/desired.

Seaweed is changing too -- it's why I could pick a boat that wasn't all I needed on purchase. I knew that with time I'd add the things to make her more.

So far, so good.
Great story, Janice. Great marine mileage too! Keep on enjoying your boat and life!!

One of your marine friends, Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #1299
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Marin- Not knowing when the last time you drove the route to Prince Rupert ell it's a long way across the border.
Al
We usually find time to make that run every three or four years.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #1300

City: Vancouver BC
Fisherman's best friend. Steveston lifeboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Steveston Lifeboat.jpg  
West is offline   Reply With Quote