Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it Murray, but it needs more fuel capacity to be truly long range.

Wow. That's about $64 per hour. ... But then I'm not a million-dollar boater.

Yeah - But, we only cruise that fast if desired or when occasionally needed. Usually we lope at mellow cruise speed. 16/17 knots is FUN though! 22/23 knots at WOT is a kick too! Get out of trouble fast at that speed... :D

Last edited:
Wow. That's about $64 per hour. ... But then I'm not a million-dollar boater.

The Sea Ray we had burnt 30 gph @ 19mph (everything on the river was miles not knots) @ $4.00 per gal = $ 120.00 hour.. @ .60mpg! the trawler cat sips fuel for it's size and speed, about the same as a N46 @ 7.5 kts.

The Trawler cat is huge 47'.. its a LOT of boat to move

It's all relative

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited:

It's all relative

Yes, relative to our incomes and priorities. As it is, I'm already spending more on the boat than my dirt home. (Happy, happy, joy, joy.)

Yes, relative to our incomes and priorities. As it is, I'm already spending more on the boat than my dirt home. (Happy, happy, joy, joy.)

Mark - Boats are not actually an expense.... but rather... they can be deemed as recompense. :thumb:

Every enjoyed minute aboard helps repay us for times we can only wish we were then aboard while drudging through tasks not desired to be partaken. :facepalm:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :D

At our local boatyard today:

A fairly lengthy GB Eastbay. Looks sort of like those ubiquitous Sabre types with ho-hum blue topsides. :D

A trawler yacht (dunno what make?) Again, those topsides! :facepalm:

A recently built Peter Kass wood Lobster Yacht. With proper color topsides. :thumb:

A wooden fishing trawler. No comment on the color.

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 168
At our local boatyard today:

A fairly lengthy GB Eastbay. Looks sort of like those ubiquitous Sabre types with ho-hum blue topsides. :D

A trawler yacht (dunno what make?) Again, those topsides! :facepalm:

A recently built Peter Kass wood Lobster Yacht. With proper color topsides. :thumb:

A wooden fishing trawler. No comment on the color.

I think this trawler is an early 'S&S ' 51' ( sparkman and Stevens)

Technical features
Length Overall 16,24 metres
Hull Length 14,58 metres
Width (Max Beam) 5,23 metres
Draft 1,5 metres
Displacement 36 tonnes
Cruising Speed 7 knots
Maximum Speed 9,5 knots
Fuel Tank Capacity 5300 litres
Water Tank Capacity 1140 litres
Cruising Range 5000 Nautic Miles
Design Sparkman & Stephens, Inc.

img_280022_0_23f9e6fb03ff70e090d5ba6df2a8eabe.jpg

Last edited:
That's (or was) Julie Ann, a 40' x 12'8" John's Bay Lobsteryacht I drew almost 15 years ago. I think her top speed was about 22 knots with a 400 HP Cummins.

John's Bay Boat Lobsteryacht 40 ~ Power Boat Designs by Tad Roberts

View attachment 34042

Hi Tad

Thanks for link. I'm usually not attracted to "monster sized" boats... But, the Express 92 modified/updated old-school design is simply Way Too Cool!

http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/new-design/power/express92

Art

Hi Tad

Thanks for link. I'm usually not attracted to "monster sized" boats... But, the Express 92 modified/updated old-school design is simply Way Too Cool!

Express 92, cold-molded retro-styled express commuter ~ Power Boat Designs by Tad Roberts

Art

Thank you Art.

I first drew the 92' as a development of Liberty, creating what I thought was a more comfortable interior and plenty of exterior places to be as well. Some influence came from the big Luders express Bengal . While the first concept was done on spec, a client appeared to do considerable development, then he dropped the project. A couple of years later he re-appeared and by then the 92' was looking really antique. So it morphed into an updated 94' with triple waterjet power.

The wood house 92' and the 94' below.

express92.jpg

94express.jpg

Tad-beautiful designs. The forward cockpit a little takeoff from Tom Fexas and the Midnight Lace? I always thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Thank you Art.

I first drew the 92' as a development of Liberty, creating what I thought was a more comfortable interior and plenty of exterior places to be as well. Some influence came from the big Luders express Bengal . While the first concept was done on spec, a client appeared to do considerable development, then he dropped the project. A couple of years later he re-appeared and by then the 92' was looking really antique. So it morphed into an updated 94' with triple waterjet power.

The wood house 92' and the 94' below.

View attachment 34044

View attachment 34045

Tad, Both Designs are Simply Beautiful! :thumb:

Back when (50's / 60's) dad had drafting table where he drew boat designs. I would assist. That sleek look, while retaining classic style, was one of his (our) trademarks. None were the size of your 90 + footers; we stayed in 35' to 45' range. As time moved on and dad retired from engineering at Grumman he eventually moved into being lead purchasing agent for a boat builder. I worked there for a short while in late teens. His boat design foray never got too far and I did not pursue it either. He (we) did design one heck of a successful ambient-flow under hull stabilizer that I plan to further design upon and again use in the future. We used our prototype stabilizer with great results off New England coast for many successful cruising years!

Happy Boat-Design Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
Tad-beautiful designs. The forward cockpit a little takeoff from Tom Fexas and the Midnight Lace? I always thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Well, Tom and I got the idea (there is nothing new in yacht design) from the same place....Long Island Commuters of the 20's and 30's. The forward cockpit on Liberty is the very best place on the boat. You're actually forward of the bow wash (just air under you) and about 75' from the exhaust outlets, it's quiet but a bit windy.....

Tad, Both Designs are Simply Beautiful! :thumb:

Back when (50's / 60's) dad had drafting table where he drew boat designs. I would assist. That sleek look, while retaining classic style, was one of his (our) trademarks. None were the size of your 90 + footers; we stayed in 35' to 45' range. As time moved on and dad retired from engineering at Grumman he eventually moved into being lead purchasing agent for a boat builder. I worked there for a short while in late teens. His boat design foray never got too far and I did not pursue it either. He (we) did design one heck of a successful ambient-flow under hull stabilizer that I plan to further design upon and again use in the future. We used our prototype stabilizer with great results off New England coast for many successful cruising years!

Happy Boat-Design Daze! - Art :speed boat:

In 1959-60 my old friend, yacht designer Robert "Bob" Harris worked at Grumman on Long Island. He did lines work on the wings of the S2F airplane and then worked on an 60' experimental hydrofoil for the US Navy, called the Dennison(?). Perhaps he worked in engineering with your Dad? At the end of that project he left Grumman to work with Bob Derecktor in Mamaronneck, New York. Bob Harris is the designer of the Hershine and early Jefferson Motor Yachts, among many other boats.

Her name now is MINKIE. Thought she was a recent build for her Brooklin, ME, owner but perhaps not. In any case, she is a beautiful boat.

I think launched in 2002? Her first owner was a retired doctor who lived in Pemiquid, he built a shed on his property and kept her inside most of the time....Nonetheless Pete builds a good boat that can stay out in the weather year-in-year-out, and look good doing it......:)

In 1959-60 my old friend, yacht designer Robert "Bob" Harris worked at Grumman on Long Island. He did lines work on the wings of the S2F airplane and then worked on an 60' experimental hydrofoil for the US Navy, called the Dennison(?). Perhaps he worked in engineering with your Dad? At the end of that project he left Grumman to work with Bob Derecktor in Mamaronneck, New York. Bob Harris is the designer of the Hershine and early Jefferson Motor Yachts, among many other boats.

Think I recall his name?? Dad was on Grumman's LEM project. He helped design the first landing gears for moon landing. I often watched him design at home on that too.

Nonetheless Pete builds a good boat that can stay out in the weather year-in-year-out, and look good doing it......:)

I know a lobsterman out of Burnt Cove in Stonington, ME, who had a Kass boat. Quite few years back he went to a fiberglass boat. Didn't like it at all. Claimed, among other things, that the motion of it hurt his back. Got rid of that glass boat and got another Kass boat. Still fishing it hard and it still looks great. And his back is better.

Small interesting trawler a long way from home at Fort Loudon Marina on Fort Loudon lake Lenoir City Tennessee.

Attachments

• 20141002_173622.jpg
    20141002_173622.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20141002_173636.jpg
    20141002_173636.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 109

According to an interview I read with Tom Fexas he based his Midnight Lace hull on what he said was his favorite hull design of all time, the Elco 80' PT hull of WWII.

Think I recall his name?? Dad was on Grumman's LEM project. He helped design the first landing gears for moon landing. I often watched him design at home on that too.

Hey, my uncle worked on the LEM at Grumman. Ed Kuchlewski. Small world.

According to an interview I read with Tom Fexas he based his Midnight Lace hull on what he said was his favorite hull design of all time, the Elco 80' PT hull of WWII.

While Tom was trying to recreate the aesthetic of the PT boat, technically they are very far apart. The Beam/length ratio, 4, is similar, as is the topsides flair forward, but that's about it. The Elco is a vee-bottom that tapers aft to zero deadrise at the transom. Fexas called the form he developed for the Midnight Lace series a "Penetrating" hull. With fine round sections forward and a deep round transom, it's designed to run flat with the forefoot in the water. The Elco was a planing hull intended to fly over the water while Fexas embraced the concept of semi-planing, intending his boat to run through the water with minimum fuss.

The Elco 80 body plan with the Fexas Penetrating hull below.

Elco80sections.jpg

Penetratinghull.JPG

Twin Packards for power! Now there's an economical combo, albeit a sweet song while doing it.

This is a prototype Aluminum PT boat, it ls tied up behind the owners house on Charenton Canal in Louisiana near GICW mile 123. The owner bought it to restore but never got around to it. He did put a couple of big GM engines in it.
It belongs to a friend of a friend, On a trip to Houston I tied up to it for the night once when I had my Camano and got a tour. The GMs had air starters and I almost jumped out of my skin when the guy cranked one of them up while we were inside that metal hull and it was deafening!
Anyone need a project boat?

Attachments

• PT boat.jpg
    PT boat.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 163
  • PT 8 B.jpg
    PT 8 B.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 122
  • PT boat on trailer 1.JPG
    PT boat on trailer 1.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 160

Latest posts