Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Her bottom

Some bottom photos that were over in another folder...

Attachments

• dons-5-jpg.jpg
    dons-5-jpg.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 126
  • dons-6-jpg.jpg
    dons-6-jpg.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 120
  • dons-7-jpg.jpg
    dons-7-jpg.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 136
That looks like the boat that was featured in PassageMaker years ago. Seattlites bought to cruise the canals, and intended to bring her home to do the inside passage.

I would have given serious interest in buying that vessel myself, had it been on the east coast. :thumb:
....and if I could have convinced my Thai wife to live on the water...:banghead:

It does appear as though I have that yacht builder miss-identified. Perhaps someone else can come up with the proper ID?

I just love Dutch steel.

PNW continues to amaze with the availability of true vintage cruising trawlers.

Restored BC Forest Service Boat

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere)-Alaska

Been swooning over that boat on YW for a while. Someone has some serious skills. The pictures of this boat generate this unexplainable desire to liveaboard in the PNW.

Someday I wanna live somewhere where the local CL has treasures like that on it - rather than just dozens of old Shopsmiths.

Last edited:
Al,
I've been aboard the MV Wells Grey in Ketchikan and one other of the type in Thomas Basin. They were having an open house (boat) at the float by the Federal bldg.

I photographed the Chugach in Craig anchored out. Put the camera on a railing and on long telephoto. Worked OK. The Chugach is a newer and bigger boat than the Wells Grey. She has a "stack" that is full of the proper stuff (excluding propane bottles) and a cooking stove stack taller than any that I've seen. Probably made taller until the stove behaved itself .. draft wise. How they keep it standing up is beyond me.

Attachments

• STH71249 copy 2.jpg
    STH71249 copy 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 165
Al,
I've been aboard the MV Wells Grey in Ketchikan and one other of the type in Thomas Basin. They were having an open house (boat) at the float by the Federal bldg.

I photographed the Chugach in Craig anchored out. Put the camera on a railing and on long telephoto. Worked OK. The Chugach is a newer and bigger boat than the Wells Grey. She has a "stack" that is full of the proper stuff (excluding propane bottles) and a cooking stove stack taller than any that I've seen. Probably made taller until the stove behaved itself .. draft wise. How they keep it standing up is beyond me.

Gorgeous boat.:)

Sam Devlin designs have captured 'the Look.'

Yes Eric, I recall that moment. It was vocalized throughout the local boating community. I believe the Chugach spent her time up North in the Prince William Sound area, not sure but she was not a familiar site here in the Ketchikan area during my youth. The boats numbered # 5,#6 #9 were all fam- iliar to me around here. All of those were of the same design.
A noted local Seattle businessman and investor- Bill Clapp of the Norton Clapp family has ownership of one of these vessels currently named "Bear". It has been here in the Ketchikan area this summer and may still be here. Well maintained and looking good.

Al

Wow. That's about as good of an example of a vessel moving at an efficient speed for it's hull shape. Just look at how that stern is riding that wave.

Attachments

• imagejpg1_zps3f769617.jpg
    imagejpg1_zps3f769617.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 498
As you can tell from my avatar, I have a weakness for Dutch steel boats as well. I was aboard Stella Maris about three years ago with the intention of buying her before I got smitten by Klee Wyck. It seemed like quite a bit of boat for the money although there was some work to do. The person who owned it when we looked at it had done a fair bit of work already. I was also intrigued by the Daf engine which I thought at the time was built by Deere? Does your friend have it listed somewhere? I cannot find it.

Conrad- "O" My God!! To die for, what a sweet rig:smitten:. Money IS the object.:blush:
Al

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. C. Couldn't see a price right off. Any idea? Seems like it may be "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." NICE vessel.

Greetings,
Mr. C. Couldn't see a price right off. Any idea? Seems like it may be "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." NICE vessel.

I couldn't find it either on the site, but it is listed on Yachtworld for $595K.

It has been on the market for a number of years at much higher asking, but I suspect folks are scared off by its wood construction. Plus at 42' it is a single stateroom. And without a stern platform dinghy access could be interesting.

Douglas Trumbull, the original owner, was/is famous for his movie making magic via special effects, e.g., Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

What a beauty.

2000 Devlin Sockeye 42' Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

She is a proper yacht at whatever the price. This is what I envision a boat should be. No clorox bottle here.

Conrad wrote;

" but I suspect folks are scared off by its wood construction. "

Probably much less so than usual as the Devlin boats are almost as much epoxy as wood. I believe the hull lines are quite dependent on how the wood bends. No hollow ends here. Plenty efficient w a 42' boat and 85hp. Sounds like it's basically the same engine as Marks Coot. I'd rather have a 36' version w 45 to 50hp. I suspect it's quite light.

Conrad wrote;

" but I suspect folks are scared off by its wood construction. "

Probably much less so than usual as the Devlin boats are almost as much epoxy as wood. I believe the hull lines are quite dependent on how the wood bends. No hollow ends here. Plenty efficient w a 42' boat and 85hp. Sounds like it's basically the same engine as Marks Coot. I'd rather have a 36' version w 45 to 50hp. I suspect it's quite light.

This Bruce Roberts hull looks perfect to build a 40' steel version:
12 METER STEEL KITS POWER BOATS, boat building, boatbuilding, boat plans, boatplans, steel kits, steel boats, aluminum boats

As you can tell from my avatar, I have a weakness for Dutch steel boats as well. I was aboard Stella Maris about three years ago with the intention of buying her before I got smitten by Klee Wyck. It seemed like quite a bit of boat for the money although there was some work to do. The person who owned it when we looked at it had done a fair bit of work already. I was also intrigued by the Daf engine which I thought at the time was built by Deere? Does your friend have it listed somewhere? I cannot find it.

He had it listed by a broker friend of his out there in Seattle (Pacific Rim yachts I believe it was), but they got bought out as I seem to recall. I will have to recheck with my friend.

As concerns the exact ID of builder's name, I have made inquiry with a very knowledgeable German fellow on another forum, and hope he can lend some knowledge to the situation.

And yes he said that DAF 6-cyl engine ran like a clock.

I couldn't find it either on the site, but it is listed on Yachtworld for $595K.

It has been on the market for a number of years at much higher asking, but I suspect folks are scared off by its wood construction. Plus at 42' it is a single stateroom. And without a stern platform dinghy access could be interesting.

Douglas Trumbull, the original owner, was/is famous for his movie making magic via special effects, e.g., Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

What a beauty.

2000 Devlin Sockeye 42' Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This is exactly the kind of "listing" that totally pisses me off as a Yacht Broker!! Here's a gorgeous custom built piece of art, and the person "marketing" her can't be bothered to write up a proper spec sheet to educate people in exactly what she is and what cold molded is? Can't be bothered to take more than 4 photos either? This is exactly the kind of yacht that would appeal to both experienced yachtsmen, and the kind of person with a taste for quality who could buy her on a whim the same as a wrist watch, or a painting of the same price, but will not give it a second look (if even the first, not even considering a wood boat, which it really isn't, in the way they think it is) due to such a piss poor presentation. It costs nothing more to put 60 photos on Yachtworld than it does 4. I hate LAZY!

Last edited:
There is an interesting photo of a core sample on the Bosler Devlin boat with the notation:

The core sample of the hull on the left shows the cold-molded plywood /epoxy layers 1 ½” thick. The core on the right includes the heavy exterior fiberglass hull sheathing.

22.png

There is an interesting photo of a core sample on the Bosler Devlin boat with the notation:

The core sample of the hull on the left shows the cold-molded plywood /epoxy layers 1 ½” thick. The core on the right includes the heavy exterior fiberglass hull sheathing.

22.png

That construction looks bullet proof as a new build. Over the years: How impervious to water getting into the ply... from bottom or bilge?

Back
Top Bottom