Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #1801
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Nice. Looks like she draws a lot of water.

RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #1802
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
your eyes must be better than mine. That's the best example of a Ferro-Cement boat I've seen in 20 years. How would you gauge the draft?

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #1803

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
That's a beautiful boat! And I like your nomenclature "pocket yacht". I know ferro cement is a tried and true method, but, would still make me nervous. No real reason I guess, just does, lol.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #1804
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Stubones99 wrote;
"How would you gauge the draft? "
The hull above the WL tells volumes about the hull below.
I'd guess this boat draws about 6 feet.

Not always the case though as some trawlers look like trawlers until you see them hauled out. Their true colors are then bared for all to see.

Stubones where is "Merritt Island"? I'm guessing it's not a state or country. I wish the powers that be would ask for a state or country. I have no idea where lots of TF members live .. not even what ocean they are near.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #1805
Guru

From the Bruce Roberts Trawlers I have been researching, they can swing from 4' to 6.5' draft on the same superstructure.

To me, it all depends on the keel, and whether it has a protected prop / rudder.

Without protection it can draft less but cost more in props, rudders and shafts if you run aground.

Like you said, hauling would show the truth...
Old 05-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #1806
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Stubones where is "Merritt Island"? I'm guessing it's not a state or country. I wish the powers that be would ask for a state or country. I have no idea where lots of TF members live .. not even what ocean they are near.
Merritt Island is in FL between Cocoa and Cocoa Beach and is well known for the Merritt Island Launch Area (MILA) and the Space Meusem. Think NASA.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #1807
Guru

Yes, like Donsan said, on the FL East Coast (Atlantic) just south of NASA where we used to have a space program.

I have corrected my profile to more accurately reflect my current location.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #1808
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
For years I've held trade-secret plans to produce strong, long-lasting 8 foot to 45 foot lightweight boat hulls. I affixed to this technique my trademark "EZ Build-Cement” My automated technique could cut hull manufacturing time in half with considerable reduction in material and labor costs. Mechanical apparatus for turning out hulls is like nothing before (that I know of) used in the boat building industry. With the continuous advents of products to enable stronger and stronger “cement-mix” designs… there may be a great new opportunity now available for producing affordable, long-lasting pleasure (as well as work) boats.

Feel free to PM me if confidential chat is desired.

Happy Boat-Building Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #1809
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
can"t enter that site without annoying sign_up bull
Yes Brian, Pinterest requires you to sign up and it's probably a Very bad idea to do so. It's got tons of categories (search "camping" or "prepper") and could take up oodles of time. I love it myself. And animal's board is filled with beauties.

Animal's Pinterest boat board: http://pinterest.com/builta76/trawlers-motorsailers/

Pinterest is in essence a bulletin board like you'd find at work. It's got pictures with links to the information. I use mine for ideas of future projects and amusements. Perhaps I do have a warped sense of humor -- you'd have to be the judge of that, if you sign up that is.

For me, it's worth the time. I like it here better, however Pinterest is my guilty not-so-secret spot to visit. Along with Drew Curtis' FARK.com and http://BuzzFeed.com but TrawlerForum is best.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #1810
Guru

Well stubones I didn't expect such a prompt response but if you're like me you'd forget it if not done right away. So often geography or nationality has a lot to do w what we talk about it's a real benifit to know approximately in the world the poster is coming from re what he's saying. Thanks.
Donsan the NASA THING nailed it.

Re the concrete or cement (which is more appropriate) structure is a composit like FG reinforced plastic. Couldn't build it w/o the glass or steel giving it strength. But steel rusts and wood rots. No wonder aluminum is so popular. Very few Alaskans will buy a boat made of anything else. But they are SOOOO expensive. Perhaps we should think more of plywood, epoxy and SS screws. That's all expensive too. But one could get the cheapest ply that is solid, use galvanized screws and boat "ring" nails and old weldwood glue or perhaps resorcinol. Nix on the FG added .. it's expensive and heavy.

What reinforcement agent are you using Art?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #1811
Art
Guru

Quote:
Well stubones I didn't expect such a prompt response but if you're like me you'd forget it if not done right away. So often geography or nationality has a lot to do w what we talk about it's a real benifit to know approximately in the world the poster is coming from re what he's saying. Thanks.
Donsan the NASA THING nailed it.

Re the concrete or cement (which is more appropriate) structure is a composit like FG reinforced plastic. Couldn't build it w/o the glass or steel giving it strength. But steel rusts and wood rots. No wonder aluminum is so popular. Very few Alaskans will buy a boat made of anything else. But they are SOOOO expensive. Perhaps we should think more of plywood, epoxy and SS screws. That's all expensive too. But one could get the cheapest ply that is solid, use galvanized screws and boat "ring" nails and old weldwood glue or perhaps resorcinol. Nix on the FG added .. it's expensive and heavy.

What reinforcement agent are you using Art?
Sorry Eric - My manufacturing system-products engineering and material-component designs are confidential. - Best, Art

ND/NC Agreement forms required.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #1812
Guru

Didn't mean to pry Art.

I wanted to buy this ferro-cement boat. Being an ex-sailboat she probably draws too much water and had I known how much she drew the lusting would probably have been over. I've never seen a ferro-cement boat that was fair and this one was no exception. I think a fair lined hull is important but I'm sure it got the job done fair or no.
The owner decided to keep her himself. He installed a new JD like Marks. His intention was to fish her 20 miles off-shore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0207 copy.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	40492  

Old 05-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #1813
Art
Guru

Quote:

Didn't mean to pry Art.
No prob Eric. I know your intent was of sheer interest and harmless.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #1814
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
I looked into ferro-cement construction a long time ago, and even visited a number of vessels that were being constructed in that manner. Generally it was more time consuming than most people understand to form all the reinforcement steel into place, then get a really good 'void-free' pour of the cement. Once the hull was finished you then needed extra care to trim the 'edges', and some special efforts to attach everything to the interior surfaces of that cement hull.

Bottom line it didn't make that much sense in the scheme of things when the cost of the hull on most boats only represents perhaps 15-20 percent of the finished vessel. And you have to expend that much more effort to try and sell the potential client on that 'unusual' construction.

Personally I think good old steel construction, possible with this frameless metal hull construction method would be my choice:
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #1815
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
The Kiwi's are the kings of ferro construction, when we lived down there in the 90's I saw first hand a number of well constructed,totally fair, rust free examples of good ferro boats. There were a couple here in Port Townsend that also fell into that category.. no one could tell they were ferro. I think the majority of ferro boats didn't fit in that category any were amateurish at best.

really it is a misnomer to call them "cement" boats as they are actually more of a plaster.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #1816
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Just looks to me that port hole under the deck level scupper just above the waterline probably represents at least the ceiling level of a ? full stand ER with plenty of keel under that. Only reason I say that.

Glen
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #1817
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
More on the 65' FC motoryacht. Pretty sure she was built in the UK, I think Brian's photo shows a red duster. She was listed (below) by John Alden of Florida in the summer of 1978.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC65northsea.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	40494
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #1818
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
The Kiwi's are the kings of ferro construction, when we lived down there in the 90's I saw first hand a number of well constructed,totally fair, rust free examples of good ferro boats. There were a couple here in Port Townsend that also fell into that category.. no one could tell they were ferro. I think the majority of ferro boats didn't fit in that category any were amateurish at best.

really it is a misnomer to call them "cement" boats as they are actually more of a plaster.

HOLLYWOOD
Please understand : "Portland Cement" is primary hardening agent/ingredient used inside material mixes for most installations of concrete, mortar, thin-set, grouts, stucco and plaster. Nomenclature such as concrete or plaster or mortar represent the cement's and other ingredients' useful mix-design nature for specific purposes.

Technology prompted new material additives have substantively improved many types of mix-designs' capability for less weight, greater strength and quicker application techniques.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #1819
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
More on the 65' FC motoryacht. Pretty sure she was built in the UK, I think Brian's photo shows a red duster. She was listed (below) by John Alden of Florida in the summer of 1978.....

Attachment 40494
That's her. I always thought she had a beautiful sheer line, super structure, and stern. She was docked on the South River in Edgewater MD at the time, and we first viewed her from water level in a Zodiac. And yes she was built in the UK. At one time I had a short message from the builder's son, along with that photo of her with the yellow hull. She was not yellow when I saw her.

I think i had asked for a layout plan and any other info he had on her, but that one photo is all I got.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #1820
Moderator Emeritus

There is a famous series of ferro cement sailboats here raced by Syd Fischer, called "Ragamuffin", aka, "The Flying Footpath"(translation "sidewalk)"

BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote