Torben DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #162
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
I'll guess you are talking about Tlingit, 62' by 7'6". 10 knots cruising speed with a 3 cylinder Easthope gas engine......

Attachment 19556

Attachment 19557

Attachment 19558
That's the one. At least 7'6" is a bit more reasonable than my memory fueled 4'.

Thanks Tad!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #163
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
I'll guess you are talking about Tlingit, 62' by 7'6". 10 knots cruising speed with a 3 cylinder Easthope gas engine......

Attachment 19556

Attachment 19557

Attachment 19558
Tad - You know gph or nmpg at 10 knots?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #164
Guru

Quote:

Attachment 19556

Attachment 19557

Attachment 19558
I wonder what Reuben Trane would think of this as a candidate for electric motivation?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #165
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
TAD that's really strange. In the cross section dwg it shows her hull below the water line but in the side view the hull under water disappears.

Easthope? I thought they were all one cylinder. I've heard one lungers pounding the bottom of a boat from quite far off. Dreadful things. I can see one running one on a concrete foundation in a barn but it seems uncivilized to put one in a boat .... and then start it up.

No doubt though ... interesting boats. Thanks.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #166
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I wonder what Reuben Trane would think of this as a candidate for electric motivation?
Seriously, I think as a platform for a solar hybrid, he'd probably be more interested in two of them tied together. For space, economy and practicality, it's hard to beat a multi-hull for the solar panel space, although I find very few of them "interesting".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #167
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Seriously, I think as a platform for a solar hybrid, he'd probably be more interested in two of them tied together. For space, economy and practicality, it's hard to beat a multi-hull for the solar panel space, although I find very few of them "interesting".
Agree on every count, especially the "interesting" part.

I mentioned this one as Reuben had expressed interest (no quotes!) in the Scout 30 being a candidate.

As an aside, this afternoon I watched a trimaran (sail) being lifted in a Travelift. Now THAT is a precarious affair at best!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #168
Guru

I think you'll agree that this boat is interesting. It's one of the few commercial fishing boats that are converted sailboats. Offshore trollers like the wonderful stability and general seaworthyness of sizable sailboats.

I clicked this picture of this boat about an hour NW of Craig AK from Willy en route to Craig.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71217 copy.jpg  

Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #169

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
It is my understanding that Tingit was designed around her motor that the owner had on hand. Of course, she is a good candidate for electric propulsion. And as noted, not one for solar. A more recent similar boat is Arthur Martin's Energy 48 - an outgrowth of their Appledore Pod rowing shell. Those sorts of length/beam ratios can't help but be efficient.

In the 80s, Easthope was producing motors (or another company using the original patters). I built a motor launch using one of their one-lungers installed in the middle of one of my Marsh Hen hulls. It was a very stately way to motor leisurely on Biscayne Bay viewing Christo's Pink Islands. I don't recall excessive vibration. We did start by swinging the flywheel by hand. Could count the RPMs by eye. No transmission - so once started we were underway. A wonderful piece of machinery. We named the boat, "Queen Hen" after the African Queen.

I have tracked down some performance figures for the Scout 30 and. Her motor, Volvo 2003T to see what performance with electric propulsion might be.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #170
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Must have been a fairly recent picture of the Ullysses. I removed the fwd. mast/crows nest last month.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #171
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
m/v ulysses romsdahl

Saw the pic. of Ulysses. Must be a new pic because it does not show the mast/crows nest which I removed last month.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #172
Guru

This boat entered Eco Cove not long after we arrived. Looks more like a boat you'd see in Maine.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0505 copy.jpg  

Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #173
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

Easthope? I thought they were all one cylinder. I've heard one lungers pounding the bottom of a boat from quite far off. Dreadful things. I can see one running one on a concrete foundation in a barn but it seems uncivilized to put one in a boat .... and then start it up.
Easthope built engines in Vancouver from 1900 into the 1980's. The business actually started in 1897 but at first they built bicycles. At first they built 2-cycle motors, and then in 1910 started making 4-cycles using Ford pistons, connecting rods, and valves. They built various sizes but the first ones were 3.75" bore using Model T parts. These were made in single, twin, and three cylinder models. The twin was called the 8-12, a bigger one was the 15-18, and they claimed the 3 cylinder was 30HP. Later they built 4 and 5 cylinder versions.

Easthopes were pretty smooth because they balanced the engines after assembly, this was part of the reason they were popular with trollers. The competition, American built Hicks and Frisbee, and Vancouver built Vivians, were all unbalanced. Nothing was as smooth as the Easthope until the Chrysler Crown came along after 1950.

With RPM limited to a max of 550, they were smoother and quieter than a current Yanmar diesel of similar power. Very comfortable to hear a bunch of Easthopes start up at 4:00 in the morning, just quiet tock-tock-tock.....none of this whining bow thrusters and rumbling diesels......
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #174
Guru

Here's the Energy 48 mentioned above by Rueben. Designed and built by Arthur Martin, 48' by 8'3" and around 10,000 pounds loaded. Power is a Westerbeke 30HP turning a 15" by 12" three-bladed prop through 2:1 reduction. Top speed is 12mph and the 70 gallon tank gives a cruising range of 1000 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnacle Aft.jpg
Views:	2187
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	19594

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnacle.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	19595
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #175
Guru

Quote:
This boat entered Eco Cove not long after we arrived. Looks more like a boat you'd see in Maine.
That's Joshua, owned by my friend Bill Harpster. She is a close copy of Slocum's Spray and winter's these days in Anacortes. He's in his 70's, only has one real leg, and singlehands north to the Broughton's every year. I expect him to turn up here heading north in next few weeks......
Old 05-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #176
Guru

I heard one once on the lower Fraser River near Ladner or Steveston.

Sounded like someone was hitting the engine bed hard w a 16lb hammer. Someone said it was an Easthope but perhaps it was one of the others you were talking about. You make it sound like I'd like to have one ???? Thanks for the enlightenment.

Interesting info. I worked at Washington Iron Works and went through a lot of drawings for the Washington Diesel engine. Wish I could have seen one and perhaps heard it run. But (believe it or not) that was before my time.

If you see this TAD how many of these skinny "commuter" boats were flat bottomed like dories? HaHa I like Barnacle's bow railing!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #177
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Tad - You know gph or nmpg at 10 knots?
In an early piece about Tlingit Garden mentioned 2gph (gas) at cruising speed of 9.75knots and 550 RPM. Later he mentions 1.5gph for an "easy" cruising speed of 8.5 knots. The engine is 463 cubic inches and around 1800 pounds, turns a 24" by 26" prop.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #178
Guru

Quote:
I worked at Washington Iron Works and went through a lot of drawings for the Washington Diesel engine. Wish I could have seen one and perhaps heard it run. But (believe it or not) that was before my time.
The 3 cylinder Washington in the David B is still running just fine

There's one in Catalyst that's also in regular use.....

And the Arthur Foss at Northwest Seaport in Seattle has an operating 700 HP Washington....you should go take a look......

http://www.nps.gov/history/maritime/nhl/foss.htm
Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Tad:

Thanks for those YouTube videos, particularly the David B one which was great.

Now to go find a one lunger YouTube video to remind me of the sound of the double ender in-shore lobster boats of my childhood, not to mention one particular sailboat I chartered many, many years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Lobster Boats, in Harbor and Ashore, Stonington, Deer Isle.jpg  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #180
Guru

TAD thank you very much on the Washington Diesel video.

TAD or David that lobster boat in David's pic interests me much. I'd like to know the probable beam of earlier lobster boats. I suspect they were narrow, more like FD boats and were powered by 40 to 100hp engines. I'll bet the sterns weren't a big flat and most importantly strait bottom (basically a planing hull) like the modern LB.

I like the look of most all LBs but every one I've seen underway leaves a big fat wake and shows little evidence of any special efficiency.

Re things old here's another pic of the sad but once grand old lady that I saw in Ketchikan.

Also a clinker/lapstrake planked wood sailboat running w the wind AND current in Knight Inlet last spring.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0811 copy.jpg   DSCF0518 copy.jpg