Old 02-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #1581
Veteran Member

City: Baltic Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
One for sale, a Gatsby 39 that is. $99000?

39 Gatsby Pilot House 39 1988 Yacht for Sale
Yep, a very classy looking cruiser. If memory serves it was made with or without sailing rigg.

GeorgS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #1582
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Cool looking boat, but too much wood to take care of for me. I assume the exterior of that pilothouse is teak?

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #1583
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Cool looking boat, but too much wood to take care of for me. I assume the exterior of that pilothouse is teak?

Ad states all fiberglass construction with teak cockpit and handrails for accent only?

Nice boat.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #1584
Scraping Paint

City: -
The small hydrofoil shown in an earlier post reminded me of Boeing's foray into the hydrofoil business. The company's Marine Systems operated out of the Renton Plant next to the 737 line. In addition to a commercial passenger hydrofoil, the Jetfoil, Boeing also made a number of vessels for the US Navy. Some were for research purposes and some were commissioned warships.

First picture is the USS Tucumcari, a jet-powered hydrofoil gunboat. It saw service in Viet Nam for awhile.

Second shot is the FRESH-1, a research vessel designed to test hydrofoils at high speeds. The Navy's goal was a 100+ knot hydrofoil and the FRESH-1 was one of the boats built to test the concept. For power, it had what in essence was a 727 engine strapped to the top.

Third shot is one of the six PHM missile firgates Boeing designed and built for the Navy. The prototype, the USS Pegasus, was built and delivered in the late 1970s but the other five were completed and lined up side by side awaiting delivery inside the Renton assembly building when I hired into the company.

While Boeing Marine Systems had a pretty long run starting back in the 1960s, it ultimately proved to be a losing proposition and the division was disbanded and the building it occupied was remodeled to house the assembly line for the 757.

Boeing built a small number of commercial hydrofoils, too, in the same space as the military boats. They were sold to operators in Hong Kong, Hawaii, Indonesia, and (I believe) Belgium. The only operation deemed truly successful was in Hong Kong where they still run today between Hong Kong and Macau.

I used the last civilian hydrofoil in a staged interception of a drug-running boat in the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca for a marketing film I produced for the SLAMMR (Side Looking Airborne Multi Mission Radar), a 737 coastal patrol airdraft we made in the mid-1980s. The drug-running boat was a beautful Bertram sport-fisherman that Boeing Marine Systems used as a chase boat. The SLAMMR found the boat and then directed the "good guys" (the hydrofoil) out from Port Angeles to intercept it. The last shot was the hydrofoil running down the Betram as the SLAMMR made a pass over both of them at an altitude of 50 feet, all shot from a helicopter.

Before moving to Seattle I worked in commercial television in Honolulu, where one of our clients for TV commercials was Seaflight, the short-lived operator of three Boeing hydrofoils. So I'd shot with the boats over there, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tucumcari.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	37382   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRESHclose5x7t.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	37383   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHM.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	37384  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #1585
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgS View Post
Peter, now that's a classy looking yacht!
Reminds me a bit of the "Gatsby 39", a boat designed by James Backus (known for the Lord Nelson Victory tugs).
Dale Nelson in the uk has just released a 1930's style planing boat; seems to be a revival in the stylish shapes of the inter war period...

Dale Classic 45 | a stunningly individual signature

This uk yard builds in plywood....
http://cockwells.co.uk/motor-yachts/ocean-fauna

Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #1586
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Orange blood all year round, orange flag during football season for the Vol Navy. It would be even better if we could win some games.
Butch Jones had a good recruiting season although he lost my grandson to Mississippi State. Tennessee should start winning soon.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 AM   #1587
Veteran Member

City: Portland Oregon
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The small hydrofoil shown in an earlier post reminded me of Boeing's foray into the hydrofoil business. The company's Marine Systems operated out of the Renton Plant next to the 737 line. In addition to a commercial passenger hydrofoil, the Jetfoil, Boeing also made a number of vessels for the US Navy. Some were for research purposes and some were commissioned warships.

First picture is the USS Tucumcari, a jet-powered hydrofoil gunboat. It saw service in Viet Nam for awhile.

Second shot is the FRESH-1, a research vessel designed to test hydrofoils at high speeds. The Navy's goal was a 100+ knot hydrofoil and the FRESH-1 was one of the boats built to test the concept. For power, it had what in essence was a 727 engine strapped to the top.

Third shot is one of the six PHM missile firgates Boeing designed and built for the Navy. The prototype, the USS Pegasus, was built and delivered in the late 1970s but the other five were completed and lined up side by side awaiting delivery inside the Renton assembly building when I hired into the company.

While Boeing Marine Systems had a pretty long run starting back in the 1960s, it ultimately proved to be a losing proposition and the division was disbanded and the building it occupied was remodeled to house the assembly line for the 757.

Boeing built a small number of commercial hydrofoils, too, in the same space as the military boats. They were sold to operators in Hong Kong, Hawaii, Indonesia, and (I believe) Belgium. The only operation deemed truly successful was in Hong Kong where they still run today between Hong Kong and Macau.

I used the last civilian hydrofoil in a staged interception of a drug-running boat in the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca for a marketing film I produced for the SLAMMR (Side Looking Airborne Multi Mission Radar), a 737 coastal patrol airdraft we made in the mid-1980s. The drug-running boat was a beautful Bertram sport-fisherman that Boeing Marine Systems used as a chase boat. The SLAMMR found the boat and then directed the "good guys" (the hydrofoil) out from Port Angeles to intercept it. The last shot was the hydrofoil running down the Betram as the SLAMMR made a pass over both of them at an altitude of 50 feet, all shot from a helicopter.

Before moving to Seattle I worked in commercial television in Honolulu, where one of our clients for TV commercials was Seaflight, the short-lived operator of three Boeing hydrofoils. So I'd shot with the boats over there, too.

The PHMs were great duty for new surface JOs. Small heavily armed. Operated from Key West for a while. We had the Harpoons on our sub as well. They were amazing missiles for their day...could be on subs ships or aircraft. 60nm over the horizon anti ship missile. They needed air superiority else they were vulnerable. Cool ships.
Sapphire
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:09 AM   #1588
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
My Uncle Dave Symington ended up with one of the hydrofoil boats as a surplus purchase.
It sat on a roadside somewhere between Bremerton and Lake William Symington. Interesting to read of these craft these many years later.

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 AM   #1589
Scraping Paint

City: -
For years the FRESH-1 (my photo #2 above) sat next to the fence by the highway at the south end of the Bremerton Naval Shipyard. I saw it there several times during the late 80s or early 90s. I had heard that someone at one point had bought it with plans to create a James Bond movie around it, a plan that obviously never came to fruition.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #1590
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Marin-

It has been years from the time my uncle showed me the boat and I do recall it being this craft. I do not know if my uncle is still with us, in his 90's if so. Will send off to a distant cousin as he is a Seattle history buff who may enjoy this bit of marine Boeing history.
At that time he was in a running battle with the local government officials who wanted it off the location as a public hindrance. He wanted to sell it to somebody who would revive it as a tourist attraction.
I suppose he eventually was successful in that.

The reflective minutes of your adventures shine on your varied and non-boring life

al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #1591
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Name:	ForumRunner_20150217_072902.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	37500
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #1592
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
It looks like a sale is pending for Sea Slice (from listing on Yachtworld.com)
Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #1593
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Mark - If there were a rating scale ... Your entry would be at or near the top!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #1594
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424200983.795783.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	37514

Saw a program on our local pbs station about the rebuilding of this vessel it was very interesting. Here is a link to some information. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cangarda
If you want to see the program I imagine it can be found on iTunes.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #1595

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Here's a boat that is marginally interesting. But the price tag is sure interesting. 120K for a pontoon boat? Uh, ok. ....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150221_110541.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	37602  
They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #1596
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafs and fishes View Post
Here's a boat that is marginally interesting. But the price tag is sure interesting. 120K for a pontoon boat? Uh, ok. ....
Good God... You're not paying for looks, that's for sure. That thing is hideous.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #1597
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
A couple of nice looking little Tassie cray boats
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	37607  
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #1598
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424641766.602494.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	37622

This seems like an interesting boat...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...adewindyachts&
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #1599
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Attachment 37622

Tradewind Yacht Sales (Poulsbo, WA)
Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #1600
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Attachment 37622

Tradewind Yacht Sales (Poulsbo, WA)
They call it a Webber's Cove? Never saw one that looked like that. But hey, it's a custom so who knows. The only ones I've seen are Downeast Maine lobster boat style. Like this one: 1978 Webbers Cove Flybridge Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com