Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #141
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Three more interesting boats;

1. Saw this boat in Everett 8 years ago. I'm not sure I've posted it yet but the other two boats I've posted before. This one's a beautiful boat but the guy on the foredeck look's very bad.

2. Mark and I have posted this Ketchikan boat more than once but every time there seems to ooos and awwwws. So you get it again.

3. This one is interesting and spends a lot of time in Craig Ak. Saw it down at Butedale too. He introduced me to Nobletech navagation stuff. Anyway I really like the very clean look of his boat .. especially the bow w/o all the usual clutter.

I thought this would be a more popular thread. I'm running out of boats but one would think most everybody would have lots of pics of interesting boats.
Have been admiring a recent arrival at the dock here in Campbell River and just realized it is the same vessel as your #1 example. Beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_8101.jpg  
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #142
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Wasn't "Herself" built by the owner? I think I remember running into him up at Friday Harbor after reading about it in Wooden Boat. They had a wonderful article called "Mr. Gardens Neighborhood" featuring local (Vancouver Island) amature boatbuilders that were building designs by Mr. Garden. Kinda made it seem that he'd just wander by once in awhile to check progress and answer questions.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #143
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Conrad .... thanks .. I think. Now I don't like her so much w that swooped up bow and highly raked cabin roof. The decks inside must match. No thanks but she's still a beautiful boat.

Max,
I've read other things that indicate there must be a sort of community of Garden followers. Great designer to follow to be sure. He lived/lives in the Gulf Islands somewhere as I recall. Is he still with us?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #144
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
Wasn't "Herself" built by the owner? I think I remember running into him up at Friday Harbor after reading about it in Wooden Boat. They had a wonderful article called "Mr. Gardens Neighborhood" featuring local (Vancouver Island) amature boatbuilders that were building designs by Mr. Garden. Kinda made it seem that he'd just wander by once in awhile to check progress and answer questions.
She was built over many years by her owner, Don Mossman, on the Saanich Peninsula. Wandering by and answering questions is one of the things a designer does, given the slightest encouragement.....
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #145

City: Nokomis
And, Tad, you end up with remarkably useful and interesting posts. Thanks.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #146
Guru

Quote:
Conrad .... thanks .. I think. Now I don't like her so much w that swooped up bow and highly raked cabin roof. The decks inside must match. No thanks but she's still a beautiful boat.
To be really special a boat must look good from all angles, this is harder than it looks. Topaz does not look great from that aft quarter angle, but she is stunning from the forward quarter.....

Quote:
I've read other things that indicate there must be a sort of community of Garden followers. Great designer to follow to be sure. He lived/lives in the Gulf Islands somewhere as I recall. Is he still with us?
Every designer has a community of followers, those who commit their time and money to build our designs. William Garden passed away a couple of years back.

Here's a Garden design that suffers the same problem as Topaz, too many breaks in the sheer, too many lines going different directions. Romance is a nice boat, but not "just right" from every angle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maplebay05.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	19496

Name:	Maplebay07.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	19497
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #147
Guru

TAD wrote "To be really special a boat must look good from all angles, this is harder than it looks. Topaz does not look great from that aft quarter angle, but she is stunning from the forward quarter..... "

I can relate to that fully and consider it useful knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

I agree on Romance too .. also I don't like her FB and lack of visibility fwd.
I do like her gillnetter stern though.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #148
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Interesting design. KJ
Attached Thumbnails
SPACE SHIP.jpg  
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #149
Guru

AhHa

A truly interesting boat. More so than all the interesting boats I've got left.

Looks like the designer had maximum WLL in view.

I kinda like it.

Thanks KJ

Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #150
Guru

This boat is not bristol like Romance but she looks like she's been many more places than most boats. Look at all the "stuff" and it looks like it all gets used. If it's attached securely it should keep Star relatively level in most any weather. Would probably be fun to read her log.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0327 copy.jpg  

Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #151
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Look at all the "stuff" and it looks like it all gets used.
Holy smokes. I bet it didn't get that way overnight either. All kinds of equipment stored "functionally and neatly" is a real turn-on for me. Keeping with the theme of the boat, I think even the swim platform is a well done, civil addition to that transom. Eric....youz guyz up there in the PNW don't know how lucky you are to be where boats are so diverse and interesting. I look forward to our move in July over to the Gulf Coast of Florida where lots of cruisers make the marinas at least palatable.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #152
Guru

Tad, do you run across many boats built at the Jesperson yard? I had the pleasure of meeting Eric Jesperson many years ago up at Whistler.
Jack Tar has always been a favorite. She anchored near us at Sydney Spit 2 years ago and is even more beautiful close up.
Attached Thumbnails
jack_14.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #153
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
Tad, do you run across many boats built at the Jesperson yard? I had the pleasure of meeting Eric Jesperson many years ago up at Whistler.
Jack Tar has always been a favorite. She anchored near us at Sydney Spit 2 years ago and is even more beautiful close up.
I'd forgotten about Jesperson beauties... long time since seeing one. Thanks for posting photos.

Just look at the flared prow on her bow!! That baby will take some steep seas and come through unharmed.

Late 1960's I was in real rough water off Mass with similar designed flaired prow bow on a 40' semi planing hull... nice to handle, rides up well on steep waves!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #154
Guru

Interesting boat indeed Max.

She's riding too level. Must be riding hard on her trim tabs or bow heavy.

Very very nice boat though.

Custom boats designed by a good architect are usually exciting.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #155
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:

Max,

The Eagle is sway back with a rising high bow, but the floors are level. However as you go forward the floors level/height increases. The hall way is level, but the master stateroom as you step through the door is about 3” higher, then toward the front of the master bed room there is a small are the increase about 6” and stepping into the master bath increases about 2”. You do not really notice as you have to step through the door but the ceiling hieght does match the deck hieght.

Keeping a older wood trim boat in the PNW moored an open slip takes a lot of work and dedication to keep in bristol condition as there is only 2 month of nice weather per year. Its almost the first of June and its been raining almost everyday. Most have taken down the winter traps/canvas but to start painting/staining/varnishing/oiling is a waster of time as its still to wet/damp. This time of year boats look their worse but by end of August they will have a new coat just in time to be covered back up for the winter. Working on the boat any day beats working on the dirt.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #156
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Interesting boat indeed Max.

She's riding too level. Must be riding hard on her trim tabs or bow heavy.

Very very nice boat though.

Custom boats designed by a good architect are usually exciting.

Eric

Not that trim tabs for sure don't have a part in the attitude of this hull to water surface... But, back when trim tabs were not used much at all...That's the angle-to-water a well designed planing or semi-planing hull rode when weight was distributed correctly and their traveling at considerable speed.

Boats whose hull/distributed-weight designs lend to bow in the air and ass deep in the water are inefficiently pushing water with their rear 1/3 bottom surface rather than simply "skimming" across top of water... such as this beaut pictured here appears to be doing... in a fine manor I might ad!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #157
Guru

Here's another view of Tar Baby, a Garden/Greg Marshall design. Her bow is just a hair too exagerated for my taste, but generally a really nice boat with superb vis from the pilothouse.....

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	19543

I recall a story about Summer Star making a trip to Hawaii many years ago, a serious cruiser. Built I think by Phil Barron in Victoria, could be based on a Monk design.

Here's another interesting boat, the 42' by 7' Nathan Smith designed Blakely Commuter.

Name:	IMG_7538.jpg
Views:	1687
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	19548
Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #158
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Tad (or anyone), any chance you would have a photo of Garden's 60+ foot "trawler" that only had about a 4 foot beam?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #159
Guru

the Jack Tar picture page highlighting the boats images

Here's a link to their site w/int pics. I love the clean spartan look.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #160
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Tad (or anyone), any chance you would have a photo of Garden's 60+ foot "trawler" that only had about a 4 foot beam?
I'll guess you are talking about Tlingit, 62' by 7'6". 10 knots cruising speed with a 3 cylinder Easthope gas engine......

Name:	garden3.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	19556

Name:	TLINGIT_002.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	19557

Name:	TLINGIT_008.jpg