Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I mistaken - or is that price of $700K+ a pretty low price for a 69 foot boat in that shape and condition from VriPack?

It doesn't say anything about who the manufacturer was - makes me think that it wasn't a name brand, or in a western european country...

4334194_20130409034527528_1_XLARGE.jpg

Oliver, quit posting boats like that one. It is just too frustrating.:banghead:

here is one.

parts for sale on craigslist

I think it is a full displacement vessel

Last edited:
We were inbound through the small lock this afternoon in Seattle and looked up to see this beauty outbound through the large lock. She is the M/V Malibu. I couldn't find out anything about her, but she sure is a beautiful boat. Well, I don't know how it turned out upside down, it is right side up on my computer. Does anyone know how to fix?

Attachments

• MV Malibu.jpg
    MV Malibu.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 142
David, my post was ironic, (our US friends regards us as upside down), it really is upside down for me too.

Well, the damned thing is right side up on my computer, I will try again:

Attachments

• MV Malibu.jpg
    MV Malibu.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 110
OK, so I rotated it upside down on my computer, let's see if that works:

OK, I quit!

edit: All set Larry M.

Attachments

• MV%20Malibu[1].jpg
    MV%20Malibu[1].jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so I rotated it upside down on my computer, let's see if that works:

OK, I quit!

I'm guessing youre using an ipad 2, as I had the same prob.

Rotate it to get the on/off button on the right, lock the screen with the slider button, then rotate the back to original position: hey bingo!

Good luck, and may the force be with you! :D

Looks like Malibu.

Edit never mind. It is Malibu. One of Ted Geary's famous fantail yachts.

Malibu | Classic Yacht Association

Malibu is named after Malibu, CA. IIRC, the original owners owned most of the ranchland there.

WOW - That link you provided has powerful bunch of interesting classic and antique boats listed on left side bar, available for viewing purposes. - THANKS! :thumb:

BTW - Although I 've only reviewed about a dozen do far... I didn't notice the term "Trawler" even once. Just saying - LOL :lol:

I plan to return to visit more on that link when time permits. :D

Ninety years and counting.

This lucky lady had owners that took care of her.

And w care it appears wood boats last quite awhile.

Yea pic is upsidedown on my I-pad too. And my I-mac too.

Last edited:
I love those old counter sterns. Not terribly practical in terms of swim platform placement, but they sure are pretty.

Thanks for that detail, Tad. Although I like the boat in either version pictured, I can't help but wonder how it's handling changed with the enormous add-ons. Can't really see how beamy it might be.

NINETEEN FEET DEEP?

That's deep for a powerboat.
And by your "originat" picture of her she wasn't a sailboat conversion. Any pics of her hull?

NINETEEN FEET DEEP?

That's deep for a powerboat.
And by your "originat" picture of her she wasn't a sailboat conversion. Any pics of her hull?

I don't know her depth or draft, beam is approximate based on her sisters of the day. At a guess draft will be around 7'.

Greetings,
Mr. mb. I suspect Mr. Tad was describing her length (100') and her beam (18'6" to 19') NOT her draft in post #1973.
I've noticed from several of your other posts that you seem to have a fixation on bottoms...Hmmmm...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Passed this one as we were leaving Cambridge, MD this weekend

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 134
Looks like a Menorquin. Strange features with that Viking-like bow/keel and a very substantial hull extension/swim platform. Beautifully finished vessels but with twins, I bet they are hard to work on.

Malibu made the news, particularly in the local boating magazines, when she was run hard onto a rock in Wasp Passage in the San Juans. Very experienced skipper at the helm and I believe the rock is well marked on the charts although I don't think it has/had any marker physically on it.

The consensus in the boat magazines and letters to the same seemed to be that the skipper simply did a dumb thing. Just about everyone who goes through Wasp Passage is well aware of where all the rocks are and even if they aren't if one relates where one is on the chart (or plotter) to where the rocks are it's pretty easy to miss them by a lot.

Bottom line as I recall it there was no sympathy for the captain/skipper in this incident.

You can see the stern wave under the stern of the boat in #1977 to some degree pushing the boat along. More or less surfing. The shape of the stern helping as it's shaped much like the wave. Most other sterns increase drag. But the SD sterns help the boat run level providing support aft minimizing squat. Great picture showing the wavelength at about hull speed.

It looks like this one has the flat plate at the water line aft performing much like the anti-squat plate attached to the cavitation plate of OBs. She's not squatting in the stern at all. Maybe running a bit high actually.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom