Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #1261

City: Vancouver BC
Make sure you see it all next time Marin. It's a snapshot of what life used to be in the heyday of canneries. Very similar to the Old Town at the Victoria Museum if you have been there.
The demise of the cannery came with the offshore factory ships.
Attached Thumbnails
steveston 2014 (7).jpg  
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #1262
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Canary...
Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #1263

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Canary...
LOL ... must think while typing
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #1264
Enigma

City: Slicker?
And while tweeting I expect...
Old 12-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #1265

Quote:
And while tweeting I expect...
Actually, while drinking beer and flipping between the Montreal Canadians game and the SF 49ers one.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #1266
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Canary...
Yes, and they're pretty much all gone from this coast now, RT. It used to be that you'd see a canary in just about every bay from here to SE Alaska. Once they invented the machine called the "Iron Chink" the canary business really took off. (No, I didn't make that name up and yes, it probably is racist name since I'm assuming it was meant to mean a machine that did the work of the Chinese guys who originally cleaned the salmon by hand on the gut line).

So canaries and logging were the two main industries all up the coast.

It became problematical when people, particularly the wives of the canary managers, began keeping canaries as pets. Their cheerful chirping was a pleasant sound in the rainy gray weather of the coast. But pretty soon it became confusing when you heard someone talking about a "canary." Did they mean the manager's wife's pet bird, or did they mean the big roaring, clanking, steaming, smelly thing on pilings that was turning salmon into dinners?

Eventually, after a series of remarkable accidents due to the misinterpretation of the word "canary," it was decided something had to be done. Since the canaries that were turning fish into dinners did so by stuffing the cooked fish into cans, someone thought, "Why not change the name of the canary to cannery, after the cans they use?" The name of the bird would remain the same.

So they did, and literally overnight all the canaries up the coast became canneries.
Attached Thumbnails
Falcon.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #1267
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think Steveston has been sneaking up on me for some time. I moored my OB cruiser at Captian's Cove Marina in the 70s and bought and re-powered a 27'double end troller. Traveling the river up to Pitt Lake was always fun on the Bryant OB.
And I remember you (Marin) talking about buying fish at Steveston. I don't know for sure but I think the troller I re-powered was built in Stevston by a well known family (Japanese I think).
It seems my going to Steveston has been long in coming so thanks Marin and West especially for the heads up on Steveston.

About canneries there is (or at least was) a wonderful cannery very near Port Edwards and Prince Rupert. A very good restoration to see. Perhaps Murray can confirm if it is still there.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #1268

Eric, when your facing the water in the Village go LEFT as that is where the Shipyard and worker housing is (about 8 blocks), the Cannery is a minor part of it and has an entry fee whereas the shipyard is free.
Attached Thumbnails
Steveston 2012 (4).JPG  
Old 12-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #1269
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
About canneries there is (or at least was) a wonderful cannery very near Port Edwards and Prince Rupert. A very good restoration to see. Perhaps Murray can confirm if it is still there.
Home | North Pacific Cannery National Historic SiteNorth Pacific Cannery National Historic Site

I photographed at the North Pacific Cannery once with a 4x5 field camera and it was raining so hard I had to wring out the focusing cloth between shots...that day inspired me to use a small rain poncho over the focusing cloth, with the lens protected by the neck of the poncho. Now I can go all day during the fall monsoons
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Home | North Pacific Cannery National Historic SiteNorth Pacific Cannery National Historic Site

I photographed at the North Pacific Cannery once with a 4x5 field camera and it was raining so hard I had to wring out the focusing cloth between shots...that day inspired me to use a small rain poncho over the focusing cloth, with the lens protected by the neck of the poncho. Now I can go all day during the fall monsoons
Not sure I would want to take that on, being a BIF shooter. Toyo?

Cape James
Attached Thumbnails
Cape James.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #1271
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Not sure I would want to take that on, being a BIF shooter. Toyo?
BIF...Birds in flight?

Wista. It's actually one of the original Zone VI camera kits, ordered from a magazine advertisement back in the 80's. Never saw one in real life until I opened the box

Cape James - Dang Purdy!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #1272

Quote:
BIF...Birds in flight?

Wista. It's actually one of the original Zone VI camera kits, ordered from a magazine advertisement back in the 80's. Never saw one in real life until I opened the box
Yes.
Nice, what wood finish?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #1273
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
If you go to the cannery museum in Port Edward, take look at Hazel, the little gill netter in there. In 1974, we bought her from a 98 year old Icelander fisherman who still lived on her in the harbour, for $100.

We towed her around from her berth to Seal Cove. We had to strip her, ran her on the shore so she would sit on her side, then cleaned her out with a steam jenny. Prince Rupert has 20' tides. We stripped her poles and spent some time getting her old Universal Super Four running (once we nearly blew ourselves up with a truly remarkable wall of flame fuelled by all the gasoline in the bilge. We were saved by the last-minute thought to include a full fire extinguisher out of one of the planes while we cranked her with a new battery. She had 90 gallons of gasoline in 2 - 45 gallon drums. That taught us why there was a strange screen, not a filter and why one should not remove it from the carburetor throat).

Our real purpose (how we got money out of the boss for Hazel) was we flew float planes out of Seal Cove for a small airline. There was no boat on the dock. We argued that Hazel would make a good crash boat! We took her poles off so she would go under an airplane wing. Only thing was, being rather new to wooden boats, after we had been cruising the harbour for a few weeks, we realized that under all the rocks piled in her bilge, her planks were rotten. That was logical as she hadn't moved for years as the old gentleman sort of congealed inside her...anyway, she was donated to the fledgling cannery museum, she was restored to her former fishing-configuration glory, her rotten bottom was cut off and she sits on her "waterline" in the museum, hopefully preserved forever.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #1274
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
WOW ....

What a story.
In the distant past I had an old troller too.
So glad the Port Edwards cannery is still there.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #1275
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
The demise of the cannery came with the offshore factory ships.
I don't think that's true. Canneries on the BC coast peaked in 1917, when there were 94 operating, supplied by over 5,000 gillnetters.

Then the world changed, mechanization and transportation became big issues, little guys could not compete. Canneries moved to the rail-heads at Prince Rupert and Vancouver. We destroyed the resource; blocking rivers (hell's gate slide just one) and wrecking spawning grounds, coupled with mismanagement of the fishery itself.

By the time deep-sea fishing vessels showed up in the 1970's, the industry was already in steep decline......
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
I don't think that's true. Canneries on the BC coast peaked in 1917, when there were 94 operating, supplied by over 5,000 gillnetters.

Then the world changed, mechanization and transportation became big issues, little guys could not compete. Canneries moved to the rail-heads at Prince Rupert and Vancouver. We destroyed the resource; blocking rivers (hell's gate slide just one) and wrecking spawning grounds, coupled with mismanagement of the fishery itself.

By the time deep-sea fishing vessels showed up in the 1970's, the industry was already in steep decline......
You may be right, that statement was made based on my recollection of what was written on one of the Historic timeline plaques throughout the Heritage Museum grounds.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #1277
Guru

Quote:
Yes.
Nice, what wood finish?
Yowzza! Nice BIF shot Dude!!

I don't remember what wood it's made of. The newer fancy-pants ones are made of cherry.
Attached Thumbnails
Wista close up 120mm Schneider.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #1278
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
...as the old gentleman sort of congealed inside her...
A great story with an unforgetable line.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #1279
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #1280

Quote:
I don't remember what wood it's made of. The newer fancy-pants ones are made of cherry.
Not sure if the numbers correspond to the camera model, but this may be of interest ... or not

http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_sho...a/e_camera.htm