Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor visibility. Would'nt have it for that reason.

But I like brown .. a lot. IMO needs to me a lighter shade to fly on a hull.
Could be house paint. The owner seems to be cranked on low maintenance.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434913630.440402.jpg

Just passed this fine vessel on the St. Clair river off Port Huron . I'm not sure what she is. Anybody know? She looks very clean and uncluttered. She looks new.

I was looking at her very seriously a few years ago. Beautiful VG Doug fir interior. Vessel redone by an ex sailboater. Had the usual large dia helm. Also had a 4 cyl JD like Mark but turboed. Excellent SD hull w the exception of lacking a bit of stability fwd. May roll a little deeper while quartering following seas. Same w most all lobster types.

Glad I didn't buy her as I'd be stuck w 50' moorage now. Then we weren't thinking of leaving Alaska and a 50' slip was $570 a year. Thanks to those that buy petroleum products in the lower 48.

Re my comment on brown .....

My new (just installed today) trans oil cooler.

And my fuel manifold plate painted w three brightside colors mixed.

Don't like the flat color on the previous boat.

Attachments

• DSCF1997 copy.jpg
    DSCF1997 copy.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF1998 copy.jpg
    DSCF1998 copy.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF1648 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1648 copy 2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 154
Saw these just now on our little run around Bellingham Bay for a few hours. The first is a really crappy shot of a really cool-looking boat that passed us on the way back in. The second is Pelican, an Alaska Fisheries boat that I posted about in this thread awhile back. She is now moored on the end of our dock a couple of slips from our boat.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434934570.743680.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434934594.822533.jpg

Totally off topic, but funny!

Here is something I thought was funny... I think I've worked with those two in the bow.

Attachments

• bailing the boat.jpg
    bailing the boat.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 84
Marin that's a really proper looking boat .. the Pelican.
Timely too re my comments about brown. Technically it would probably be called "Buff" or "Mast Buff". I've used more than a bit of Interlux Brightside "Sundowner Buff" the sundowner name refers to a spot of red mixed in. At first I didn't like it on our cabin but the color won me over in a few years. I'm a sucker for certain colors.
Thank's for the Pelican.

Last edited:
I was looking at her very seriously a few years ago. Beautiful VG Doug fir interior. Vessel redone by an ex sailboater. Had the usual large dia helm. Also had a 4 cyl JD like Mark but turboed. Excellent SD hull w the exception of lacking a bit of stability fwd. May roll a little deeper while quartering following seas. Same w most all lobster types.

Glad I didn't buy her as I'd be stuck w 50' moorage now. Then we weren't thinking of leaving Alaska and a 50' slip was $570 a year. Thanks to those that buy petroleum products in the lower 48.
She's back on the market Eric. Some more improvements and up dates. Seems like a nice Looper/ICW/ coastal rig for someone.

Hey sailor, do you have a link for that? I'm not sure what to search for...

Ah, uniflite, gotcha. Thankee sir! Wow, I was expecting something much newer and much shinier. Still a nice boat though. She shows really well from quarter of a mile away!

Last edited:
Wayfarer,
Anything will "show nice" if it's maintained.

Here's one of my favorite boats from the fishing fleet in Craig AK.

Attachments

• STH71895 copy.jpg
    STH71895 copy.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF0761 copy.jpg
    DSCF0761 copy.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0208 copy.jpg
    DSCF0208 copy.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0154 copy.jpg
    DSCF0154 copy.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0153 copy.jpg
    DSCF0153 copy.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 91
Nice....great name as well!

I like that salty old steamer funnel. Take a black and white pic of that and it's straight out of 1920. I like the layout too.

Peter "Rusty Barge" you mean you were at the tasmanian Wooden Boat festival and didn't stop to say hello to myself and John "Flemingo" both of us were there with our boats and would have been more than happy to share some oysters and beer with you.
Ah may be next time.
Cheers
Benn

661783.jpg

This is Aussie media and gambling entrepreneur James Packer`s MY, (or more accurately, one of them), called ArcticP. It often spends time in the Mediterranean, looks very comfortable, would make a nice trawler at 88M long, looks like there should be no trouble keeping in touch with the world. Reports say he`s currently entertaining Mariah Carey on board.

Hey Bruce , Jimmy has a nice little boat doesn't he.
Got to give the credit to Kerry, he knew what he was about when he had the conversion done.

I love the name.

cardude01,
Yes but more interesting than salty.
Is she just an unknown boat that passes by or?

Ok, we might have to start a thread on what the differences are between salty and interesting.

I thought it was salty because of the active stabilizers as well as passive stabilizers it looks like. Plus I thought the mast were salty, but I'm not sure about their utility.

So overall I guess I thought it was salty because it looked robust and "ready to go to sea". Oh yeah, it has a crows nest. That seems salty.

I really like that salty old babe. i.e., "Namaste" :thumb:

I bow to the God within her! :D

Back
Top Bottom