Old 05-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #101
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
... On our boat the person going ashore with the aft-running spring does so from the aft end of the boat, not from the middle of the boat. While we love having a full walkaround deck as you do on Coot, and in fact believe it is an essential feature for any boat we would ever have, we have never in the last 14-plus years had to access the dock from the middle of the boat. ..
In contrast, access to/from the Coot is midship, adjacent to the primary** spring-line cleats, and three feet aft of the pilothouse doors. This arrangement is handy for single-handling.

** I had the builder add additional spring-line cleats halfway between the mid-ship spring-line cleats and the stern cleats. The builder thought this was a waste of money, but I noted he used the extra cleats during the three days he was aboard during the delivery.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #102
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In contrast, access to/from the Coot is midship, adjacent to the primary** spring-line cleats, and three feet aft of the pilothouse doors. This arrangement is handy for single-handling.

** I had the builder add additional spring-line cleats halfway between the mid-ship spring-line cleats and the stern cleats. The builder thought this was a waste of money, but I noted he used the extra cleats during the three days he was aboard during the delivery.
Mark - - >
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #103
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Here's the skipper on the outside bridge of the Blue Heron II, and her deck layout.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	BHbridge.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19369

Name:	BlueHeronII.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	19370
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #104
Master and Commander

That outdoor, non-flybridge helmsman position sure looks handy.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #105
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That outdoor, non-flybridge helmsman position sure looks handy.
Right....today you would have a jog steering lever and throttle/clutch in each forward corner of the dodger. Stand out there, sight the full length of the boat, and control your landing to within a foot......
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #106
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark wrote;

"In contrast, access to/from the Coot is midship, adjacent to the primary** spring-line cleats, and three feet aft of the pilothouse doors. This arrangement is handy for single-handling."

Not a good arrangement Mark. The bow AND stern needs to be hard in and against the float/dock before you can step off the boat w/o jumping and jumping isn't good even for young people. If one can step off the stern w a line cleated amidships it's just a matter of tying off near the stern or aft and put the boat in gear. You can read the paper while finishing the job.

OR ... you can make fast the midships line to the float and take up slack as the boat settles into the float and when the boat is parallel to the float the rest of the mooring lines can be attended to.

But I think the stern is the best place to step off the boat. Frequently it's not easy to get the whole boat up against the float and easy to kick the stern over for a safe and casual move to the float.

Perhaps you have too many handrails aft Mark.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #107
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Pretty interesting multihull boat or trawler?.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007...s#.UZbCksu9KSM
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #108
Master and Commander

I've no fear, Eric. With two spring-line cleats on each side of the boat, a single mid-ship spring-line can easily hold the boat next to the dock when attached to a single dock-cleat (spring-line cleat to dock cleat to the other spring-line cleat, thus controlling fore and aft movement as well as limiting lateral swing if boat is held close to dock), and then the fore and aft dock lines can be secured.

Note the cleats:

Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #109
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Mark wrote;

"In contrast, access to/from the Coot is midship, adjacent to the primary** spring-line cleats, and three feet aft of the pilothouse doors. This arrangement is handy for single-handling."

Not a good arrangement Mark. The bow AND stern needs to be hard in and against the float/dock before you can step off the boat w/o jumping ...
There is a technique we've not tried yet and which I first saw being used on the little foot ferries that operate in False Creek in Vancouver, BC. These little boom-boat-style ferries pull up to a landing, stay there for a few minutes while people get off and on, and then head off for the next landing.

What they do is put a single line to the landing close to amidships and snug it up real tight. The ends of the boat can swing in and out but no farther than the other end of the boat will let them, and there is no forward or rearward movement because the midship line is real tight.

We've filed this technique away as a possible thing to use should we encounter a docking situation where it would be beneficial. So far we haven't. And for us, the line handler would still have to get off from the rear of the boat and then come forward to snug up and secure the line to the dock because we have no easy access to the dock from the middle of the boat other than climbing over the rail. So since the person has to get off from the aft end of the boat anyway, we just continue to use the aft-running spring, thrust, and rudder to pin the boat against the dock no matter what the wind or current are doing.

But on Mark's boat with its center or near-center access to the dock, this snugged-up center line technique could work really well to secure the boat quickly to a dock and keep it in place (regardless of the minor bow or stern movement away from the dock) until the rest of the lines were on and secured.

And Eric, in the interest of consolidating posts, the third shot is an "interesting boat" I really like. We saw it two years ago being restored at Silva Bay and then last year we saw it finished and on its mooring at Silva Bay. This is one of my favorite styles of working boats and they seem to have done a nice job converting it for cruising. This is a style of boat where vertical windows really fit the design.

Name:	image-3831928625.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	19380

Name:	image-2321772649.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	19381

Name:	image-645598907.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	19382
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #110
Master and Commander

The small people-ferries in Venice, Italy use a single line from midship to temporarily hold the boat next to the dock. The boats are kept in gear to keep them snuggled up to the dock while persons go off and on.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #111
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
What they do is put a single line to the landing close to amidships and snug it up real tight. The ends of the boat can swing in and out but no farther than the other end of the boat will let them, and there is no forward or rearward movement because the midship line is real tight.
I was taught many years ago to use this technique whenever possible and it has served me well. However, one can't always get their boat in a docking position to use the technique. Eric's comment about stepping off the stern (swim step?) is the way my wife & I cleat the boat off, and if not possible to reach the mid ship cleat, we secure an aft cleat first. A short line to prevent fore and aft movement while one of us "thrusts" the bow to keep it from blowing off the dock. If we had bull rails in SoCal, I would use the mid ship cleat always as my first option.
Attached Thumbnails
Cleating.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #112
Master and Commander

It really helps if one can just step off one's boat onto the dock.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #113
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Bill Garden's Summer Song is for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
summer song pic.jpg  
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #114
Guru

OMG I've seen that boat in books and mags for decades.

Another one of Bill Garden's magic creations.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #115
Guru

The 1st boat is another Garden design. Saw this one for sale in Petersburg AK. Someone painted it dark blue and didn't do her any favor and she was in relatively poor shape priced low. The bow rail looks like it belongs on a playground and the big Claw dosn't help wither but it's hard to disguise that bow. Another boat that resembles the Blue Heron.

The next boat I've shown before ... the Duwam. A Hanson design. Hanson designed many really good fishing boats and Duwam has been fishing all her life and is powered by her original 3-71 DD.

The last one's for Marin. This fisherman stayed at Thorne Bay for a time in our slip while we were on the hard in Craig. Lucky Logger has that "just right" look about her and most all the boats of her type seemed to be good designs.

Walt it looks like your Halvy is blue in your post 111.

Spy .. Summer Song also has a long nearly strait sheer line. Evidence that swoopy sheers aren't necessary for a beautiful boat.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71649 copy.jpg   STH71663 copy 2.jpg   STH71444 copy 2.jpg  

Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #116
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Someone painted it dark blue and didn't do her any favor and she was in relatively poor shape priced low.

Walt it looks like your Halvy is blue in your post 111. Yes! Yes it is!

Summer Song also has a long nearly strait sheer line. Evidence that swoopy sheers aren't necessary for a beautiful boat.
Yes, the PO did me a favor by painting my hull dark blue. Also, my stepped sheer added 5 inches of head room in the state room without pushing the exterior cabin up and out of scale & keeps the bow higher for better sea keeping. (A design element that has been used on many high quality expedition boats over the years.) https://www.google.com/search?q=expe...w=1067&bih=522

Did you hurt my feelings? NO! NOT AT ALL!
Attached Thumbnails
Seahorse.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #117
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Looking at the pictures, I wonder how you get on and off this boat without being a monkey. There is no side access for most of its length. How do you tie it up? The interior sure leaves something to be desired as well. The side profile is pleasing to the eye but that is about all that is good with this boat.

Just my opinion.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #118
Guru

Ron I agree and your opinions are very valid but that does not distract from her great long and low looks nor her (most likely) very high efficiency at about 20 knots. Probably a great ride too.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #119
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Based on many of the Garden designs that I have been on, it would seem that Mr. Garden never seemed really big on interior finishing.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #120
Guru

Spy,
I've never been on one but I have a book that showed Summer Song and a number of his other designs. One was about as far as one could get from long and narrow. It was like the Willard 36 only wider and fuller yet. There are some that think Gardner could do no wrong and I'm not far from it.

I'm more into hulls and engineering than floor plans and such.