Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting concept here. Not my cup of tea, but being able to haul and launch does have some appeal.

2007 Custom Built 36' Alum. hull Trawler

Max Simmons,
I've seen that boat before. Nice boat. Looks like the pic was taken in Alaska??

Here's a old locally built boat from the Mt Vernon area of Puget Sound. Brand name Skagit. This one is quite restored and giving rides. This color was popular on cars of the time too.

Attachments

• DSCF1573 copy.jpg
    DSCF1573 copy.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 277
Interesting and for sale

Specifications

View attachment 37798View attachment 37799

If the first picture is a bit small I'm sorry.

First picture maybe somewhat small... but... the second one is down-right scary!

OMG, OMG, OMG... that pict throws me back into youth at boat yards in NY refinishing bright work. Varnish here looks great. I know how many hours of coat/sand, coat/sand, coat/sand... it takes to get that much of a smooth shine!

At my age, now; I do really like having fiberglass boats with NO exterior bright-work!

For the big-boat people - this might be of interest. I think some people will especially like this sales pitch "SHAPAMA is so spacious inside that it would make an excellent "moving home".

Some nice photos at the link:

"DIVORCED FORCED SALE " 90' DEFEVER EXPEDITION/TRAWLER YACHT

00M0M_4xtvAEzTsS4_600x450.jpg

Wow !

This caught my eye:

. The water filtration system and water maker were completely replaced and upgraded, producing clean water down to one micron, which is better than any municipal water system. The 2200 gallons of fresh water can be completely replenished in 20-30 hours. Additionally, a complete duplication of pumps, seals, a/c compressors, filters, and even tools were purchased.

That's a boat I could "Live-With"!

More Exotic Lake/River Retreat

We go camping every summer to our favourite destination; Osoyoos. The lake temperature there is about 20C.

Last summer I was looking at a very inexpensive strip of lakefront property that was so small that it didn't allow for a house/cottage, but only parking, but it did have a dock.

Having a house boat like this tied to it would be very economical and a blast.
I was at a resort area in Panama where the 'island space' was very little in terms of land mass, so the solution was to divide up the 'lots' into very small plots that basically provide for 1 parked car and a bathroom facility (on land, so as to not be out over the water). Then a dock out to the living space built on piers out over the water's edge.

This wouldn't replace a real ocean going boat, just a 3 month summer lake retreat.
Something similar for less money ... Houseboats For Sale | Twin Anchors | Shuswap Lake, BC

How about something a little more exotic for the on-the-water portion of the residence....

New Floating Resort in Kanchanaburi Thailand - The FloatHouse River Kwai Resort

Bali or Thai style houseboat | YachtForums: The World’s Largest Yachting Community

Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home - Page 12 - Boat Design Forums

Last edited:
USS Pennsylvania Nuclear Sub

This is a video on how the USS Pennsylvania works. It is a nuclear powered submarine powered by a lump of uranium the size of your fist that provides all of the power to navigate and provide power for all of the daily operations. It has been running since 1989 without having to refuel. Ever wonder how they get fresh air under water to last for months? How do they launch a nuclear warhead? How they can make the submarine quiet to avoid detection?

This is fascinating for those that have no idea about how these ships operate!

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/pen1usnav1

I was at a resort area in Panama where the 'island space' was very little in terms of land mass, so the solution was to divide up the 'lots' into very small plots that basically provide for 1 parked car and a bathroom facility (on land, so as to not be out over the water). Then a dock out to the living space built on piers out over the water's edge.

Good ideas spread fast, although that Thatch roof construction may be more suitable for the tropics. :)

This is a video on how the USS Pennsylvania works. It is a nuclear powered submarine powered by a lump of uranium the size of your fist that provides all of the power to navigate and provide power for all of the daily operations. It has been running since 1989 without having to refuel. Ever wonder how they get fresh air under water to last for months? How do they launch a nuclear warhead? How they can make the submarine quiet to avoid detection?

This is fascinating for those that have no idea about how these ships operate!

[URL="http://www.chonday.com/Videos/pen1usnav1"]http://www.chonday.com/Videos/pen1usnav1[/URL]

Great video! Sure would like to learn her prop design that limits cavitation and increases thrust. But, I understand that as being Top Secret... and, I sure don't blame The Navy for that! U.S. needs every edge we can get and keep.

I believe there are some Superyachts running around with some carbonfiber props very similar in design.,...it just takes money

Well, apparently the market for fiber props wasn't all that great. A search for "Contur Propellers" turns up a bunch of expired URLs and no information at all. The newsletter Larry posted is from 2004 and the company that pot it out, Fleetwater Marine no longer shows the fiber props under its "Marine Propulsion" section.

Well, apparently the market for fiber props wasn't all that great. A search for "Contur Propellers" turns up a bunch of expired URLs and no information at all. The newsletter Larry posted is from 2004 and the company that pot it out, Fleetwater Marine no longer shows the fiber props under its "Marine Propulsion" section.

One hit under power and I bet those fiber props turn back into frayed cloth they were made from.

:D

I obviously didn't spend much time on the Google search, I just grabbed the first reference I could find.

How about a press release from Michigan Wheel on 11/19/2014?

CFRP_Propeller.jpg

I suspect the prices are astronomical and the market very small for carbon fiber as a propeller material, yet it is an interesting idea.

For my money, and depending upon the application, it's hard to beat nibral or stainless for strength and longevity.

I guess I'm still stuck in the Bronze Age :D

:D

I obviously didn't spend much time on the Google search, I just grabbed the first reference I could find.

How about a press release from Michigan Wheel on 11/19/2014?

CFRP_Propeller.jpg

I suspect the prices are astronomical and the market very small for carbon fiber as a propeller material, yet it is an interesting idea.

For my money, and depending upon the application, it's hard to beat nibral or stainless for strength and longevity.

I guess I'm still stuck in the Bronze Age :D

Interesting widget on the hub.. I can guess what it does but does anybody know anything about it??

HOLLYWOOD

Was over at Shilshole Marina today, a beautiful PNW day. Saw these twp on the transient dock next to us. The first is a good looking eahorse, not sure if it is a DD. The cool thing, if you can see it in the picture, is the wheel and engine control on the pilothouse roof. Not quite a flybridge, but close!

The second was the Black Pearl, looked to be something around 75'. The weird part is the starboard hull is black and the port side is white! Can't imagine the reason for that.

BTW-yesterday saw the old carrier, USS Ranger, being towed from Bremerton to Texas for scrap. Long tow as they have to around the Cape rather than through the canal. She was too far away to get a decent shot. Sad to see an old lady go.

Attachments

• Seahorse.jpg
    Seahorse.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Black Pearl.jpg
    Black Pearl.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 119
From the lighting, it looks like the hull is blue on one side and black on the other. Or, maybe it's white on one side and gold on the other.

Last edited:
I like it a lot too but her stbd rail isn't even fair.

Interesting widget on the hub.. I can guess what it does but does anybody know anything about it??

HOLLYWOOD

RH rotation - like the prop. :socool:

Your turn now Hollywood, what is your guess?

Last edited:
...and it is made of composite...according to the write-up.

I would suspect it would reduce cavitation at the end the shaft???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom