Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #81
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
Mark, is that a WW I era destroyer? Where is that? I didn't think there were any of those left afloat.
No, it's a WWII gunboat, Nakha (LSSL-751), ex-USS LCS(L)-102 designed to be run up on beach during invasion landings. There is a large Danforth-type anchor hanging on the transom. It is the last of its kind and is located at Mare Island across the strait from Vallejo CA. A private group is restoring it and it is available for touring. For its size it is very heavily armed.

Landing Craft Support LCS(L)(3)

Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #82
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #83
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This little double ender was mak'in her way around Cape Caution last spring as we passed.

The Prodigious was at the little harbor just north of Seymour Narrows. Interesting vents, anchor rode, windows and railings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0467 copy 2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	19349   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0549 copy.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	19350  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Nice anchor on Prodigious, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #85
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Oh, what anchor's that, Marin..?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #86
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
And is that a bulbous bow lurking below? I'd like to have a drum windlass like that. Neat boat.
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #87
Guru

Hustler,
I have this one. Very rebuildable.
One could anodize it silver or gold.
One of the biggest advantages of the drum is that you can have 4 or 5 different sizes of chain or line attached w shackles or whatever.
Most fishermen use several feet of very heavy chain (frequently studded) followed by lighter heavy chain perhaps 10 to 50' and then nylon line. Some even use all chain but then lighter chain must be used. And of course the fishermen use very heavy anchors ... Forfjord's and Claws in that order of preference. Dreadnought's and Northill's are also popular.
This winch has chain reduction drive and could lift any anchor you'd ever consider putting on your boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STH71089 copy 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	19355  

Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Nice anchor on Prodigious, too.

Yes very nice indeed. A very good one too.

Here's a closer look.

I like the low position of the trip line attach hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0548 copy.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	19358  

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #89
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Here's a closer look.

I like the low position of the trip line attach hole.
Great photo, Eric.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #90
Scraping Paint

It's a Rocna 20, the same size we have on our boat (photo). Expand Eric's photo and you can read the label. And that's not the trip hole. The two holes in the shank are the attach points for a tandem anchor. The attach point for a trip line on a Rocna is the small hole you can see in the top of the fluke for a shackle. We leave a shackle per mantle in ours as you can see in the photo.

Tandem anchors are popular with a lot of boaters in the open, exposed anchorages common in the southwestern Pacific which is where Peter Smith did/does a lot of his boating. So he wanted to incorporate good attach points for a tandem anchor in his design, hence the two holes in the shank. The instructions that came with our Rocna illustrate how to use them.

An interesting thing in Eric's photo is that this fellow is using a swivel and, like a lot of boaters, he's installed it backwards thus leaving himself exposed to snapping the swivel pin if the boat gets off to the side of the anchor a bit and is pulling hard. With the swivel installed the way it is in the photo it can only pivot up and down in line with the shank. So any kind of sideways load will try to bend the swivel pin, which is not made to resist this kind of load. if the load gets high enough, the pin will simply snap and the boat will no longer be attached to the anchor.

When we installed a swivel on our old Bruce I put it on exactly the same way. Fortunately I read Earl Hinz's book soon after and turned it around properly and attached the swivel to the shank with a shackle so the swivel would always be in line with the rode no matter where the boat was in relation to the anchor.

However we soon eliminated the swivel altogether as it had no value to our operation and I believe the fewer components in an anchor setup the better.

Name:	image-25600036.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	19361
Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #91
Guru

I took this off WBO site and hope I won't get trouble for it and don't even know if I can post it.http://threesheetsnw.com/files/2012/01/BlueHeron.jpg

OK GOOD it worked.
Designed by William Garden in 1955. There were 4 made reportedly all to the same owner. This is within the period when yachts were really beautiful and this one is. She is beautiful to me even though she has design features I don't like. He even managed to make style boards a plus simply by making them slender thus smaller. There's a phony stack that's not too bad either. Must be phony as there's no exhaust pipe showing.
Mark I think we can classify Blue Heron as a "slicer" judging by her wake.
I've still not ever seen anyone use davits like that and I'm not exactly sure how they work.
Notice the long row of rectangular ports that expand her visual length. That radar looks like it could be the first one built.
Another thing maximizing her visual length is the 99% unbroken sheer line. Any little jog or similar deviation from a straight sheer makes a boat look shorter.
Notice how clean the bow looks w/o bow pulpit structure and excessive hand rails. Since I see no bow anchor davit like lifting spar so I'm guessing Blue Heron has a hawse hole on the stbd side and a Danforth anchor.

I'm not clear how the side deck is alongside the wheelhouse. Is there a side deck or is it wide body? Help me out here.

Later ......

Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #92

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Hey Eric, you can buy her (or a close sitership)

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ng_id=1417&url=
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #93
Guru

Indeed.

Thank's Max.

That's a very different boat but almost entirely because of her proportions. An excellent example of how long and narrow can be so elegant and short and fat just dosn't cut it. I'll keep my short and fat boat though. Mostly because of moorage rates.

Thank's Walt re the photo.

And thanks Marin re the trip line attach point. On my Manson S I attach the trip line shackle to the fwd end of the slot and route it under the roll bar and up.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #94
Veteran Member

City: Espoo
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Storebro 34
I have seen this quacking by a few times... It is actualla a sauna built in what bears resembelense to a duck..

It certainly is interesting, I would not like to go out with it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2595085476.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	19367  
tiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #95
Master and Commander

Eric, I agree that the Blue Heron's lines are beautiful. She has a low, non-cruise-ship-like profile, and she is definitely a "slicer." Question her deck access, however, for ease of short-handed docking maneuvers.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #96
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Sea Wolf is indeed the original Blue Heron I in the old photo posted by Eric. There were four Blue Heron's built, all different but their length only varied a few feet. One way to pick out BH I is the little break in her sheer just forward of the transom.

In the Yachtworld listing you can see her Fjord anchor in it's hawse pipe on the starboard side. The funnel was very much part of the motorship style, as were the big ship davits. They are complex to use and require some crew and some muscle. To operate you lift the boat, rotate them one at a time while counter-rotating the other one, moving one end of the small boat in or out at a time......
Tad Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #97
Master and Commander

Quote:
Indeed.

That's a very different boat but almost entirely because of her proportions. An excellent example of how long and narrow can be so elegant and short and fat just dosn't cut it. I'll keep my short and fat boat though. Mostly because of moorage rates.
I agree. I'll stick with my "tubby" too.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #98
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:

I'm not clear how the side deck is alongside the wheelhouse. Is there a side deck or is it wide body? Help me out here.
These boats all have full walk-around "Portuguese" bridge decks. You can see the sliding side door in the pilothouse and there's a door through the dodger on centerline forward, as well as steps down to the aft side decks each side. There's even a side door in the dodger (visible as a faint outline in the old picture) for direct access to high docks, handy feature.
Tad Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #99
Scraping Paint

Quote:
I took this off WBO site and hope I won't get trouble for it and don't even know if I can post it.http://threesheetsnw.com/files/2012/01/BlueHeron.jpg
Now THAT'S a beautiful boat. Thanks for posting that link, Eric. Nobody screwed that one up with bad design elements, that's for sure.

Mark, regarding the side deck access..... I did a project for the captain and executive chef of a corporate yacht that was designed by Philip Rhodes and built in 1966 for Augie Busch of Anheuser Busch. In overall configuration it is somewhat a 120' version of Blue Heron albeit much larger and bulkier. The photo below is the only one I have of her on this computer. She was designed and built with a low, open flying bridge and the original mast was small and swept back so she had a much more streamlined appearance than the photo. When Augie was forced by his adult children to sell her she was brought to the Pacific Northwest and the weather motivated the new owner to have a naval architect design an enclosed pilothouse that followed the lines and window design of the boat.

At the time I was involved with her she had a crew of 5 including the captain, chef, and engineer. So just two deckhands. I spent a fair amount of time on the yacht including going out on her. When she was docked, the first lines going ashore were the fore and aft breast lines. So while the yacht had some limitations on side deck access, that part of the boat was never needed for docking. All the lines, including the fore and aft springs, were rigged from the fore and aft deck cleats.

As opposed to our boat where the most important cleat in docking is the midships cleat because that's where our fore and aft springs are permanently attached. The aft-running spring is the first line to go ashore every time.

But even on Blue Heron, if they elected to use an aft spring for docking and cleated it off amidships it would still work just fine. On our boat the person going ashore with the aft-running spring does so from the aft end of the boat, not from the middle of the boat.

We've watched a lot of pilothouse, Portuguese Bridge boats like the deFever 46 and the American Marine Alaskan 49 dock with just the two owners as crew. While smaller, their configuration is much like Blue Heron's. And the two people on board have never had a problem docking that we've seen. In fact, they often wave off people who come up to help--- we do too unless we know them---- as they have developed a routine that works great for them.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #100

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
Sea Wolf is indeed the original Blue Heron I in the old photo posted by Eric. There were four Blue Heron's built, all different but their length only varied a few feet. One way to pick out BH I is the little break in her sheer just forward of the transom.

I thought so. Counted the portlights. We have ran into Sea Wolf a few times over the years. One time as a kid at Port Ludlow, remember it well. One of the best examples of local designed and built yachts.

Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote