Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #921

City: SanFran
Here are some interesting new designs - I'm thinking this might be the shape of things to come:

For details see this link:

http://www.amels-holland.com/uploads...A_AXE_6711.pdf

LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #922
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art,
Depends on their stern mostly.

LRC58Fan,
I think those are Axe Bow boats. The stem is very deep and the bottom near the bow actually goes down instead of up. With the possible exception of propulsion I think the bottom of the stem is the lowest point of the boat.

Very narrow entry but they are not FD hulls .. at least not the ones I've seen. The trawler most like them is the Mainship 34 (older).

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #923

City: SanFran
Yes - that is correct. Damen Sea Axe:

Quote:
Since the eighties, Damen and Delft University of Technology have cooperated in a research programme aimed at improving the seakeeping characteristics of high-speed vessels. In the nineties, this cooperation produced the “Enlarged Ship Concept” on which the highly successful Stan Patrol 4207 and 4708 are based. In the beginning of the 21stcentury the “Axe Bow Concept” was developed, a hull shape with unparallelled seakeeping characteristics. Based on this concept, Damen has developed the “Sea Axe” Patrol Vessels and Fast Crew Suppliers.
Sea Axe Design - Damen Shipyards Group

LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #924
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Saw this boat on the hook at Solomon's Island in Mill Creek. Looks nice on the outside.

2007 Chas Wittholtz PH factory rebuilt engine and updates Power Boat
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #925
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Unfortunate no one ever converted one of these beauties. Probably fairly fuel efficient at just below hull speed.
I don't know how efficient they were. They were very heavy with really stout timbers and planking. In the later 1940s when most of them were built, fuel efficiency was not the big deal it's become today. They used the 6-71 because they were in ready supply as inexpensive surplus engines (albeit new) from the Navy, which had a huge presence in Hawaii at the time.

For their size, weight and relatively low power the aku boats were surprisingly fast, at least when empty. We were occasionally passed by one when we were out fishing miles off the north shore of Oahu or out in the Molokai Channel in my friend's 28' Uniflite sportfisherman. They would come slicing through the water at a pretty good clip. I assume part of the reason for this ability was their quite narrow beam for the length of the boat.

Since the boats were day boats there were minimal crew accommodations. There was a crude galley of sorts under the pilothouse and a few places where people could lie down.

The entire aft half of the boat was taken up with open holds, some for the live bait they netted in Pearl Harbor and the rest for the tuna that came aboard.

The elevated pilothouse served two visibility purposes. One was to see over the bow and the surrounding swells, the other was to make it easier to spot the seabirds that the fishermen used to find the fish. These were not gulls--- there are no seagulls in Hawaii, the soundtrack of the original Hawaii Five-0 notwithstanding-- but open-ocean seabirds such as terns, boobies, frigatebirds, tropicbirds, etc. They all had Hawaiian names, but the sportfishermen called them by the types of fish they tended to indicate. So there were "aku birds" and "mahi mahi birds," and so forth.

After three or more decades of service, these boats with their wooden holds smelled very strongly of fish, a smell I imagine could only have been eliminated by replacing the wood itself.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #926
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Saw this boat on the hook at Solomon's Island in Mill Creek. Looks nice on the outside.

2007 Chas Wittholtz PH factory rebuilt engine and updates Power Boat
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wittholtz.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	33821

Add a saloon cabin behind that helm cabin and you sure would begin to look like a Pilgrim 40
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #927
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Lots of Hawaiian Sampans built for sport fishing and cruising. The high-raking stem with lots of sheer seems to be a defining characteristic.....

This hull seems somewhat westernized but good construction pictures....

1990 Haole Sampan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #928
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post
Here are some interesting new designs - I'm thinking this might be the shape of things to come:

Not exactly graceful, but they sure do "look" fast!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #929
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post

As long as moorage remains one of the biggest factors in the size (length) of boats people choose to own, these proportions are not going to gain favor. I think reality points to fatter boats of lighter displacement, similar to the Greenline form.

If you scale a Damen sea axe to 65' long, the beam is 12'8". And because of the very fine bow the accommodations are the equivalent of a standard 40 footer.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #930
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
Lots of Hawaiian Sampans built for sport fishing and cruising. The high-raking stem with lots of sheer seems to be a defining characteristic.....

This hull seems somewhat westernized but good construction pictures....

1990 Haole Sampan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Big difference between the "haole sampans" and the true aku boats. The haole sampans are later boats and were built purely for sport fishing. While they had some superficial characteristics similar to the aku boats, they are in fact, very much different vessels. Having spent nearly three decades around and on both types of boats, the haole boats are not in the same league as the aku boats.

That's not to say that they were/are not very nice boats. Most of them were, although they tended to have a rather home-made look to them (because they were). But to those of us who lived there, the two types were apples and oranges. And there were some really, REALLY hideous haole sampans long with the nice ones.

What kind of sportfish boats have been made under the "haole sampan" designation since I left I have no idea. But in the heyday of the aku boats (1950-1980), the haole boats were toys.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #931
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

After three or more decades of service, these boats with their wooden holds smelled very strongly of fish, a smell I imagine could only have been eliminated by replacing the wood itself.
Can almost smell it from here. Thanks for thorough description of their internals.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #932
Scraping Paint

Referencing Tad's post, "haole," which is pronounced "how-lee," is the Hawaiian word for "white," and it's the local term for caucasians. It's not an insult--- everyone in Hawaii refers to a white person, including themselves if they're white, as a haole.

You can turn it into an insult by context and inflection, as in "goddamn haole bugger," but referring in normal conversation to a person as being a haole is totally acceptable.

So the term "haole sampan" started out as meaining a local boat built by haoles for fishing. So the inference is that it's not quite as "genuine" a local boat as a local boat built by locals (which the big aku boats were).

Regarding Al's comment above about the internals of the aku boats, I recall seeing as a youngster a terrific black and white movie about the building of an aku boat in the late 1940s. The movie covered (superficially) the whole process, from laying the keel to sea trialing the boat. I don't know why the movie was made or who made it. I just remember watching it and (being an ignorant kid) being amazed at the complex process of making a wooden boat like this.

I'd give almost anything to get my hands on this film and have it transferred to a digital file. I suspect it was this movie, plus seeing the boats coming and going and unloading almost every day as I went to school and later, to work, that put them in the "favorite boat" position in my mind.

A detail about the tuna industry in Hawaii in those days I will never forget:

A narrow road ran between the cannery buildings (behind the dockside buildings in the color photo I posted earlier). It was how one got out to the point of land beyond them. All manner of pipes ran over the road between the buildings, I guess for steam, water, perhaps fish guts, etc. I drove that road on occasion for various reasons, and the thing I'll never forget is that no matter what time of day one drove down that road there were MONSTER rats using the pipes to get back and forth between the buildings. I mean huge, shaggy Norway rats strolling across the pipe, seemingly as big as cats.

One of the times we went out and filmed on an aku boat, I had to walk down that road for some reason. Perhaps to get or take something to the production van. But I remember watching these huge rats crossing above me. If I stopped, they stopped and stared down at me as if to say, "Hey haole boy, you want a piece of me? Huh? Come on up here you as*hole, and we'll see who walks away."

Rats were a pretty common creature in Honolulu in those days, and most of us who lived there were pretty used to seeing them around, so the sight of one was not anything special. But the cannery rats were something else. I've never seen anything like them since.

Sorry for the nostalgic thread creep, but the whole tuna industry in Kewalo Basin, from the boats and crews to the canning process, was fascinating to me first as a kid and later as a working adult. I still can't believe I lived there that whole time and never took a single photo.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #933
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I don't know what to say....

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #934
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I like it, but as I'll never afford one anyway it's a bit of a moot point.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #935
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I don't know what to say....

Looks like a sneaker that would fit Magic Johnson.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #936
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
"IT" sure is ugly but I'll bet it's very "form follows function" if the design is a success at sea and on the market.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #937
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade

Name:	DSC_4471.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	33860

Name:	DSC_4473.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	33861

Name:	DSC_4476.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	33862

Name:	DSC_4475.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	33863

Name:	DSC_4444.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	33864
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #938
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

The first one looks like a Huckins.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #939
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The first one looks like a Huckins.
Yes, a a beautiful old Huckins (ton's of them up there since they built/build them next door)
A really nice old Chris Craft and a Dettling 48' which was designed to be the perfect quality couples cruiser. I really like them. Rather rare to find. REAL expensive when new.
These all "winked" at me.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #940
Guru

Trawler Catamaran

Multi Sailing - Second hand multihulls - 28370 Trawler 56