Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #901
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Saw this at the show. Not sure I like it, but it is kinda different/interesting. Plywood construction. KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #902
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Looks interesting to me. I kind of like it.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #903
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
looks like a Canal Boat....

...about time America
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #904
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Pilot station would drive me nuts... Can't at all see bow. But, basic design would make good boat for sloughs in SF Delta. House boats accomplish same thing and have pilot station up front or on top in a flying bridge.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #905
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Pilot station would drive me nuts... Can't at all see bow. But, basic design would make good boat for sloughs in SF Delta. House boats accomplish same thing and have pilot station up front or on top in a flying bridge.

Art, in the last pic if you look through the window you'll see a helm.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #906
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Art, in the last pic if you look through the window you'll see a helm.
By Golly - You're correct!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #907
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
looks like a Canal Boat....

...about time America
Flying bridges (and masts) have no place on canals with low bridges.

(Bruges)
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #908
Veteran Member

City: Portland Oregon
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
At Markpierce. That one sunk at Mare Island is a 63' AVR, or what is left of her. After their Navy crash boat service, They trained many Sea Scouts on the bay and delta including me. Got me hooked on wood boats and the Navy 😃
Sapphire
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #909
Art
Guru

This baby is not only interesting and cool too... she is top of the breed as a fisher-person's dream! Won't last long at that price, in her condition. Don move fast - if you'd like to relive your fisher daze!!

Bertram Flybridge Cruiser! - $14995 (Sacramento

Bertram Flybridge Cruiser!

http://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_6...UP_600x450.jpg
Old 10-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #910
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Flying bridges (and masts) have no place on canals with low bridges
I'll second that motion....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helm6,CabinTop shape.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	33799

Name:	Helm9,at La Someil.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	33800

Take note of that aux steering station up on the fwd deck,...in addition to the inside steering station
Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #911
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Neat boat, Art. 26' with a fly......fun!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #912
Guru

Here is a stylish looking little canal boat

Name:	de-tourist,640.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	33801
Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #913
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by denloe1 View Post
At Markpierce. That one sunk at Mare Island is a 63' AVR, or what is left of her. After their Navy crash boat service, They trained many Sea Scouts on the bay and delta including me. Got me hooked on wood boats and the Navy 😃

That photo was taken about three years ago in Belgium!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #914
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
I believe that boat is a modified version of Bateau GT27 Cruiser.

Boat plan details, GT Cruiser 27 (GT27), Houseboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Saw this at the show. Not sure I like it, but it is kinda different/interesting. Plywood construction. KJ

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #915
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That photo was taken about three years ago in Belgium!

It's possible he was referring to the vessel pictured in your post #13 in this thread.....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #916
Scraping Paint

I've posted these two shots before, but I don't think in this thread about "interesting" boats.

If I had to name my all-time favorite boat type, I suspect this would be it. Commonly referred to in Hawaii as sampans or aku boats, a fair number of them were built locally, all to this basic configuration, in the years after WWII. They were the standard commercial tuna boat in Hawaii up through the 1970s.

About 80 feet long (I'm guessing) and quite narrow, all of them were wood, carvel-planked (hence the name sampan which I believe means carvel planking in Japanese), single engine. Most if not all of them were powered with a 6-71.

They were day boats, going over to Pearl Harbor in the early morning (the number on the side of the pilothouse is the Pearl Harbor permit number) where they netted live bait. They then went out in search of aku (albacore tuna). At the end of the day they would return to unload at the canneries in Kewalo Basin, between Waikiki and downtown Honolulu.

These boats were beautiful to watch, knifing through the big swells and wind waves in the waters miles offshore of Oahu. The hull shape was interesting, designed to minimize the roll in rough water because the fishermen stood shoulder to shoulder on a narrow plank fastened across the transom in their bare feet, their toes pressed against a quarter-round strip of wood.

They used short, heavy bamboo poles with a fixed line and a big chrome, barbless hook which they flipped out into the feeding freny of tuna just off the stern as the boat moved slowly ahead.

Mopst of the crews were Japanese-Americans, and there was generally a small shrine to Buddha at the rear of the pilothouse.

I did not take these photos. They were sent to me by a fellow who took them many years ago. While I was into photography at an early age, it never occurred to me to take any photos of the boats I liked so much and that I passed every day. I guess I figured they'd be there forever and I'd take some photos "tommorrow." I went out on them a few times, but that was to shoot film for the TV station where I was working during college.

I moved to the Seattle area in 1979. I went back to Honolulu twice for Boeing in the late 90s, and with the exception of a couple of derelicts, all the aku boats were gone.

Not very "yachty" but hell-built-for-stout and beautiful (to me) designs. If money was no object, I'd love to have one built today for crusing the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slipways4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	33810   Click image for larger version

Name:	shipyardorion.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	33811  
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #917
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Commonly referred to in Hawaii as sampans or aku boats

These boats were beautiful to watch, knifing through the big swells and wind waves in the waters miles offshore of Oahu. The hull shape was interesting, designed to minimize the roll in rough water because the fishermen stood shoulder to shoulder on a narrow plank fastened across the transom in their bare feet, their toes pressed against a quarter-round strip of wood.

Not very "yachty" but hell-built-for-stout and beautiful (to me) designs. If money was no object, I'd love to have one built today for crusing the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska.

[/QUOTE]

Marin

I recall your previous post of these pictures. Hull shape of chines on first photo is very interesting. Sort of like a planning hard chine modified to unusually extended vertical drop-down radiuses to reach displacement standards with a bent toward roll reduction. I imagine Eric should have insight/comment on this design. I really like the boats in general and can see them slicing through the waves in my mind's eye.

Art
Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #918
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yes Art I was drawn to these boats from Marin's past posts.

Much of their stability must come from the stern unless the're is a narrow transom out of the water and the aft end has a steep angle. Then they would be much like a sailboat w/o the usual sailboat fat sides. But I'll bet they are a cup shy of FD w a slightly submerged transom and fairly wide chines. That may give them the stability they need as a workboat.

I can relate to your comment "can see them slicing through the waves in my mind's eye." They probably ride in head seas about like Willy ... never hitting the next sea w the slightest slam. Willy is slack fwd like the aku boats and is full aft (probably both for roll and pitch stability) but for a 30' boat Willy isn't really narrow and is more stiff than most would guess. The aku boats probably have a slow and easy roll depending on how narrow they are. The hard chine of the aku boats adds stiffness but gives some up being narrow. Perhaps the hard chine was the only way the boat could be narrow enough to have a decent turn of speed w a load of fish and only 165hp (or so). but like Marin, and you Art I like them too. The swoopy sheer and tall powerful looking stem probably helps win us over.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #919
Scraping Paint

Here are some pictures I just pulled off the web. Seems nobody else took many photos of these boats, either. But they might give you a bit more of the idea of how the hull works as well as what the fishing itself looked like. In the first photo, taken in the 1950s, there are some smaller aku boats as well as two or three of the big ones. This basin was pretty much unchanged when I was there in the 60s and 70s, although I don't remember the smaller boats. But the row of canneries looked just like it does in the photo with lots of activity at the docks all the time. I would guess there were about 30-40 of the big aku boats based in the basin when I was there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kewalo Basin 1950s.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	33817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aku_Fishing.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	33818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aku_boat-fishing.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	33819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sooty Tern.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	33820  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #920
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Here are some pictures I just pulled off the web. Seems nobody else took many photos of these boats, either. But they might give you a bit more of the idea of how the hull works as well as what the fishing itself looked like. In the first photo, taken in the 1950s, there are some smaller aku boats as well as two or three of the big ones. This basin was pretty much unchanged when I was there in the 60s and 70s, although I don't remember the smaller boats. But the row of canneries looked just like it does in the photo with lots of activity at the docks all the time. I would guess there were about 30-40 of the big aku boats based in the basin when I was there.
Unfortunate no one ever converted one of these beauties. Probably fairly fuel efficient at just below hull speed.