Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw this at Pirates Cove this week. A nice example of a small trawler style with stabilizer poles and fish. Very interesting to me.

This is a commercial fishing boat .. note the numbers on the FB. Also notice the oil stove stack. And the roof over the aft deck goes to the transom for fishing all day in the rain.

This is from Greg S’s post #077 on page 604.

I think it’s interesting to you Greg because your subconscious is trying to tell you it’s a fish boat. You must have seen at least 100’s ….

Last edited:
Bruce I love the Williams.
Much like the Monks of the PNW USA.
She has a finer stern than the Monk. Better at slower speeds. May even be a FD boat.

Picture is of a PNW Monk.

Attachments

• 7EE420F9-AD3B-437E-9C59-527F7A408321.jpg
    7EE420F9-AD3B-437E-9C59-527F7A408321.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 53
Bruce I love the Williams.
Much like the Monks of the PNW USA.
She has a finer stern than the Monk. Better at slower speeds. May even be a FD boat.

Picture is of a PNW Monk.
I see the similarity Eric. The proportions, esp with the raised foredeck,are impressive. Glad I`m not maintaining the brightwork but they are beautiful to look at.

This is about the coolest Trawler ever, and what history! I post the pictures because the links will eventually be gone. Also, have you ever seen a boat with the engine in the forepeak? Bizzare, but what do I know.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1959-custom-cheoy-lee-long-range-trawler-8291686/

Pretty sure Champion had an 855 Cummins in her when she did the circumnavigation

Our engine isn't in the forepeak but it's just back from it.

Correction
It was Chartwell that had the 855 cummins
Still Larry Briggs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-23-15-55-24-578_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-23-15-55-24-578_1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
This is about the coolest Trawler ever, and what history! I post the pictures because the links will eventually be gone. Also, have you ever seen a boat with the engine in the forepeak? Bizzare, but what do I know.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1959-custom-cheoy-lee-long-range-trawler-8291686/

Okay, @Adopo, I vote you for having found the coolest boat on this thread! Wow. Love both the windlass and the bronze plaque proclaiming to all that this is a serious passage maker.

BTW, if anyone has a copy of the original Beebe book (I just gave mine away), I believe this vessel was featured in it because of the forward engine location.

Okay, @Adopo, I vote you for having found the coolest boat on this thread! Wow. Love both the windlass and the bronze plaque proclaiming to all that this is a serious passage maker.

BTW, if anyone has a copy of the original Beebe book (I just gave mine away), I believe this vessel was featured in it because of the forward engine location.

One thing for sure it is iconic! If true, says it is the first recreational trawler of its size to circumnavigate? That alone makes it worthy of a historic protection act...

Interesting old Williams: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...s-baycruiser-1939-historic-masterpiece/281188.
Williams cruisers were built in Sydney at the waterside suburb of Drummoyne. The site was still in use as President Boatshed until a recent fire, not sure what happened after that. A very pretty boat, but lots of upkeep required.

Oddly, it`s in Tasmania (island State to the south)but listed by a broker near Sydney. I see it has a badge of membership with KMYC (Ku-Ring-Gai Motor Yacht Club) in Broken Bay, where there seem to be some changes with the shipwright/sales establishment.

0_4.jpg

Beautiful boat, that easily could have been one of the boats of Dunkirk. Great movie BTW.

Anyone like the lines of this? Sorry, can't be bothered with the gymnastics of pic rotation, cock your head to the side. lol

Attachments

• 20220814_145909[1].jpg
    20220814_145909[1].jpg
    99 KB · Views: 55
Anyone like the lines of this? Sorry, can't be bothered with the gymnastics of pic rotation, cock your head to the side. lol
Very Concordia looking. But not sure about the cutter rig, bowsprit and dolphin striker...

Probably older. Maybe a BB Crowninshield design. Spoon bow.

Last edited:
Here's a couple more that were also in the harbor last weekend.

Attachments

• 20220812_143627[1].jpg
    20220812_143627[1].jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220812_143528[1].jpg
    20220812_143528[1].jpg
    130 KB · Views: 45
Very Concordia looking. But not sure about the cutter rig, bowsprit and dolphin striker...

Probably older. Maybe a BB Crowninshield design. Spoon bow.

Cutter Rig ?
Crowninshield ?

Ray Hunt designed Concordia 39 or 41 yawl.

Cutter Rig ?

Crowninshield ?

Ray Hunt designed Concordia 39 or 41 yawl.
It has a staysail and a jib, so yes the fore rig is a cutter.

I realize that Ray Hunt designed the Concordias. AFAIK, none had a bowsprit or a staysail.

It looks similar to a Concordia in the sheer and the house, but likely precedes Hunt, that is why I am guessing Crowninshield.

Does anyone not love a spoon bow? Is anyone other than Back Cove still building them and why or why not is that a good bow design? I am always smitten when I see one.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.39.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.39.06 PM.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 42
That 85' is quite nice. Clean masculine lines not trying to be too fancy. The shallow draft is a bit concerning for a bluewater boat, but considering the low windage, it likely has a very reasonable A/B ratio.

One point that is reinforced is how commercial conversions are always a compromise in their accommodations. The deckhouse probably has the same square footage as a 50ft typical trawler.

Overall really nice however. If it were priced at 1/2 that then it would likely sell quickly.

That 85' is quite nice. Clean masculine lines not trying to be too fancy. The shallow draft is a bit concerning for a bluewater boat, but considering the low windage, it likely has a very reasonable A/B ratio.

One point that is reinforced is how commercial conversions are always a compromise in their accommodations. The deckhouse probably has the same square footage as a 50ft typical trawler.

Overall really nice however. If it were priced at 1/2 that then it would likely sell quickly.

LOL x 2! Nearly anything at 1/2 price = quick sale! 1/4 price even quicker!!

I think I'd take her over something like a Nordhavn 62... if I could find a spot to keep her. Honestly I don't know that I could own that boat if it cost $1.00; 85' slips are tricky to come by in San Diego from what I hear.

Of course if I owned that boat it wouldn't be to stay in one spot...

Back
Top Bottom