Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting? Yes. Practical? Maybe not. It`s definitely special purpose, noting the history of use.https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...ex-esperance-port-authority-pilot-boat/279069
0_4.jpg

Absolutely awesome vessel. 44 ft of muscle, to stark for most of us, but where’s our Russian Trawler guy? This thing is meat and potatoes for him.

Absolutely awesome vessel. 44 ft of muscle, to stark for most of us, but where’s our Russian Trawler guy? This thing is meat and potatoes for him.

Very cool vessel for sure.

Kinda agree with BruceK though on practicality... what would you do with such a vessel in a recreational setting? Doesn't really have LRC range. Maybe high latitude cruising? Or maybe for folks who just enjoy getting the $&*# kicked out of them every once in a while but don't want to die in the process. I'd probably pick a sailboat for that!

Reality sets in…

Everyone thinks it would be cool to have a self-righting trawler. Well this is sorta what it might have to look like.

Interesting? Yes. Practical? Maybe not. It's definitely special purpose, noting the history of use.

I absolutely LOVE it!! How cool!!! Similar in concept to the USCG self-righting motor life boat.

How cool would it be to own a boat rated "no known weather limitations"?!

I think it would be an incredibly fun project to bring this boat to the Front Street Shipyard in Belfast (Maine) and have a very interesting conversation with JB Turner there, and see what could be done to completely redo the cabins to make it 'cruise worthy.'

Of course it wouldn't be practical, and the total cost of the project would exceed what a much more appropriate boat with far roomier accommodations could be bought for. But it wouldn't have "no known weather limitations."

If it wasn't in Australia (I don't even want to think about the headaches and cost of bringing it to the U.S. east coast)...

Self-righting in 6 seconds from 180 degree inversion.

Classified by RNLI as 'having no known weather limitations'

:thumb:
It's got that easy to clean blue naugahyde ever present on seaworthy vessels. Makes wiping up puke a breeze.

BruceK,
The bow rail looks like a farm fence .. goat proof.

Would like to see more of the hull aft. For the application they could deviate from typical FD design for a knot or whatever extra speed. Otherwise she looks capable of becoming a great rec. trawler. I like what I see.

Definitely interesting ….

Last edited:
Seen leaving Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island, WA

Attachments

• 0E784B52-FA0E-4318-91BE-07E9E07C710B.jpg
    0E784B52-FA0E-4318-91BE-07E9E07C710B.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 57
The link is to a private group, so not accessible

IMG_0992.jpgIMG_0993.jpg

The following text is from the seller’s advertisement. I have edited as this isn’t a sales pitch on this forum. I’ve put it here because it is an interesting boat.

About a 1000 of these were built but only about 400 were the 28 foot model. …Honestly I would almost bet this is the only one currently for sale .. These were built from 70 to 77 the 30 foot model was built through 82 or 83? Designed for overnight camping on or off the water. Part of the design was to be able to bring this with you for adventures where ever you go. Could be used as a great house boat or use it on the big lake like she has been most of her life. The 30 foot went across the Atlantic. Now you know a little about Cutters let me tell you what we know . She"s a 1976 28 foot with twin Dual Carb AQ130d Volvos and Volvo out drives. She has a microwave and fridge a kitchen sink and a bathroom. On top of that she has sleeping for 6 - 8 if you fold out the seats up top. …

Seen leaving Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island, WA
I’ve been on board that boat. It was (and may still be) owned by a member of our yacht club and was on the market recently. It is a repurposed commercial or military hull and has vast amounts of tankage filling every space under the living cabin floors. Very salty and seaworthy passagemaker for a solo or couple, but with a very small pilot house and a cramped and sailboat-like space below. The engine is housed in a kitchen island if I recall correctly. Electric composting toilet I believe as well. Very interesting boat indeed!

I’ve been on board that boat. It was (and may still be) owned by a member of our yacht club and was on the market recently. It is a repurposed commercial or military hull and has vast amounts of tankage filling every space under the living cabin floors. Very salty and seaworthy passagemaker for a solo or couple, but with a very small pilot house and a cramped and sailboat-like space below. The engine is housed in a kitchen island if I recall correctly. Electric composting toilet I believe as well. Very interesting boat indeed!

converted Navy 40' UTB

Attachments

• 8396168_20220713160459306_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8396168_20220713160459306_1_XLARGE.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 8396168_20220713160657953_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8396168_20220713160657953_1_XLARGE.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 8396168_20220713160455461_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8396168_20220713160455461_1_XLARGE.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 8396168_20220713133730719_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8396168_20220713133730719_1_XLARGE.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 35
This is interesting, someone took what I think was the original 50 Hatteras Motor yacht and added paravanes in addition to a cockpit.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1967-hatteras-yachtfish-8403317/

Interesting... someone took a semi-displacement old Hatteras 50, put in a pair of nice (but less power than the original engines) John Deere engines, glued a cockpit on the back, added paravanes, to create a... displacement speed trawler fisherman???

I guess the idea appealed to at least one person (the one who did it). Now he'll find out if it also appeals to anyone else (a buyer).

Hmm... it's appealing to me!

Are those actually paravanes or just flopper stoppers for use at anchor?

Back
Top Bottom