Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Educate me. Don’t understand doing SD in Fe. For FD makes great sense but for SD would think Al or grp would be a better choice.

Educate me. Don’t understand doing SD in Fe. For FD makes great sense but for SD would think Al or grp would be a better choice.

I agree, although there have been steel planing hulls built before (such as early Chris Craft Roamers before they switched to aluminum).

First, the boat looks very nice from the pictures. Secondly, some things don’t add up. The interior looks way to nice for 1976. Along with this thought, the parts in the electrical panel did not exist in 1976. Sure, it could be a total remodel but why? Fire, sinking or old age refurb? Why spend all that money and then use such low quality electrical parts?

I’m not trying to trash this boat. I’m just curious for the rest of the story.

Absolutely too many acronyms. They are hindering me from making any sense of what I am sure is an insightful post.

Yes, most money is in finishing and fit out. I owned an upholstery shop. I did auto, boat, and RVs. People suffer sticker shock...

Having rebuilt/restored a mid-60s vehicle from the ground up, I can attest to this fact. Good, quality, skilled labor costs. Body and paint were the highest followed by interior and drive train.

First, the boat looks very nice from the pictures. Secondly, some things don’t add up. The interior looks way to nice for 1976. Along with this thought, the parts in the electrical panel did not exist in 1976. Sure, it could be a total remodel but why? Fire, sinking or old age refurb? Why spend all that money and then use such low quality electrical parts?

Those are Ancor panels. Is Ancor considered low quality?

It is owned by the Advances Systems Group; same as Blueseas, Marinco, ProMariner and Mastervolt.

My 1974 boat was refit in 1988 with an all new interior (Cypress and Mahogany) all insulated underneath, along with literally a new (then 1988) engine, new mast, new tanks, complete head redesign, complete galley redesign. The fellow who owned it then could have bought a new boat. His notes indicate he wanted his old boat to be new. Since then many enhancements.

Probably like many Willards, where enough time has passed, and each boat has had several owners, so many changes have been made that no two within the same model are alike.

Anyway, a competent survey can help determine a backstory.

Hmmm, no mention of a generator nor AC.
How many and what type are the batteries?

Looks like a 'squeeze around' engine room.
How many gallons of water?
Capacity of holding tank

Hmmm, no mention of a generator nor AC.
How many and what type are the batteries?

Looks like a 'squeeze around' engine room.
How many gallons of water?
Capacity of holding tank

It's a simplistic ad, it does need more informative copy as should many of the Yachtworld listings. Broker's should work harder for their commissions especially when a little more typing and a few more questions of the owner's is needed.

It's a simplistic ad, it does need more informative copy as should many of the Yachtworld listings. Broker's should work harder for their commissions especially when a little more typing and a few more questions of the owner's is needed.

Or maybe they are trying folks to write in, for the information and then GOTCHA!!

Survival craft

I like this one, the guy looking for a bag of beans and rice could survive on this one. The hull is a former Bristol Bay 32' sailing fishing boat.

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.18.44 PM.jpg

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1954-custom-bristol-bay-gillnetter-7950697/

As a general rule, if I do not see detailed engineering pictures, including tops of batteries and the heavy gauge wiring that these need, I will stop reading right there. Everyone who is on this thread knows exactly the sorts of things that they need to see detailed pictures of, I believe. I have passed on quite a few boats on this criterion alone.

Those are Ancor panels. Is Ancor considered low quality?

It is owned by the Advances Systems Group; same as Blueseas, Marinco, ProMariner and Mastervolt.

I do not consider Ancor panels to be junk. However, these panels were designed for use on small sail boats and ski boats. Stringing several of these entry level panels together to do the job does meet my standards of low quality. Add to that a Perko Battery switch which in my opinion is junk.

I do not consider Ancor panels to be junk. However, these panels were designed for use on small sail boats and ski boats. Stringing several of these entry level panels together to do the job does meet my standards of low quality. Add to that a Perko Battery switch which in my opinion is junk.
Panels are nothing more than a plate to fix breakers on, then breakers are mostly made by the same manufacturer sold by bluesea or another resaler. If the 3 breaker panels are properly wired I do not see where the low quality is.
The most low quality work I see there is the 3 breakers at the top right that are not even set straight, this for my standards is low quality :)

L

As a general rule, if I do not see detailed engineering pictures, including tops of batteries and the heavy gauge wiring that these need, I will stop reading right there. Everyone who is on this thread knows exactly the sorts of things that they need to see detailed pictures of, I believe. I have passed on quite a few boats on this criterion alone.

I understand what you are saying completely. I see house plants and all the stuff one might see a full time live aboard have, I instantly move on. Everyone has their individual criteria.

I suspect - subject to correction by someone who knows more than me - that the engine order telegraph was probably a military-driven redundancy spec on the Lister Blackstone powerplant, but clutch and throttle could always be controlled from the pilothouse. After all, these were manufactured in the 1970's. Conversions have cleverly used the telegraph system as the push/pull control for cable engine clutch and throttle, using a Kobelt mechanical wonder-widget installed in the engine room.

Right. The engine order telegraph, complete with bell in the engine room, is actually simply a fancy single lever engine and gear control. That was true when it ran the original Lister Blackstone and is true now running the Cat 3406. And yes, we have a Kobelt device, also looking very much like a single lever control, which translates the rotary motion coming our of the engine order telegraph into push pull on the two Morse cables going to throttle and gear.

The Lister Blackstone had to be started in the engine room. The Cat starts from the wheelhouse or the engine room.

Jim

The Lister Blackstone had to be started in the engine room. The Cat starts from the wheelhouse or the engine room.

Funny, because I always started my engines from the ER. Out of, say, 100 times I started it maybe 2 or 3 from the pilothouse. Just my personal preference.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/bainbridge-island-49-defever/7391451796.html

Here is an interesting ad. See excerpts below:

"Great 1984 49 DeFever raised pilot house Troler twin 135 super lemons. 1200 gallons of fuel. Fore brand new 250 gallon aluminum fuel tanks +250 gallon steel fuel tanks. Brand new 9KW Cummins generator."

So if you are in the market for a Troler with twin 135 lemons, this might be the boat for you!:D

Attachments

• 67EED6F1-1B81-4A2C-A298-99DF518AD4DD.jpeg
    67EED6F1-1B81-4A2C-A298-99DF518AD4DD.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 43
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/bainbridge-island-49-defever/7391451796.html

Here is an interesting ad. See excerpts below:

"Great 1984 49 DeFever raised pilot house Troler twin 135 super lemons. 1200 gallons of fuel. Fore brand new 250 gallon aluminum fuel tanks +250 gallon steel fuel tanks. Brand new 9KW Cummins generator."

So if you are in the market for a Troler with twin 135 lemons, this might be the boat for you!:D
Price could be a squeeze...but hurry, you could get pipped.:blush:

Boat?

I couldn't resist posting this "interesting boat". It's an outboard powered floating tiki bar. I've seen traveling on the river and in Long Island Sound with guests sitting around the bar on barstools.

Attachments

• 20211007_120430.jpg
    20211007_120430.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I couldn't resist posting this "interesting boat". It's an outboard powered floating tiki bar. I've seen traveling on the river and in Long Island Sound with guests sitting around the bar on barstools.

Ok, but have you ever seen a floating picnic table?

20211009_113049.jpg

Ted

I've shown this before... but always worth a look. A few ambitious gal friendly guys looking for company! I guess - LOL

Attachments

• 55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom