Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are now three converted ex-Royal Navy tenders, Clovelly class for sale out “there”, Fintry owned by our very own Circumnavigator (with which I’m smitten btw), two in the UK. Here’s the latest one listed, MV Cricklade, formerly A381 ]

Nice slow spinning 4 pot engine

Main propulsion machinery Lister Blackstone ERS4 MGR 4 cyl turbo 750 rpm

Gearbox Blackstone IM2 2/1 reduction attached to Nodal Damper flywheel

Propeller Harper Phillips 3 blade 59ins, 39.2ins pitch

MGM Boats Converted Clovelly class

high bulwarks, but freeboard from main deck to waterline appears to be very low for an explorer style vessel.

2008 Trawler Nadro Marine 65 Trawler

I do like the lines of this boat.
2200 hours on a volvo? Is that a record?
No mention of stabilizers

Last edited:
Just spotted my new favourite for this week.

Iron Joy - 24m of steel charter boat that ventures out to the Swain's and further.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1622152918277.jpg
    FB_IMG_1622152918277.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 50
  • FB_IMG_1622152769442.jpg
    FB_IMG_1622152769442.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 52
Very cool looking boat. Like a full-grown Sea Piper :)

I agree the engine choices are weird. Maybe it's so that no matter where you are in the world, you're likely to be able to find parts & service for one or the other!

4' draft too! Often that type boat is much deeper draft than that.

Too bad you don't get to see an out-of-the-water photo... I suspect the Lehman is a get-home engine...

Yes, buried in the text it mentions that it is a wing engine. Also, many fishing boats of that style and size are more flat bottomed with chines than FD with chocks.

As an aside, I’ve been using the Yachtworld filter to look for boats with a single main engine for some time now. I discovered the other day that by selecting “one” engine, I was filtering out many boats with wing or auxiliary engines. Sigh.

Last edited:
As an aside, I’ve been using the Yachtworld filter to look for boats with a single main engine for some time now. I discovered the other day that by selecting “one” engine, I was filtering out many boats with wing or auxiliary engines. Sigh.

Wow - I never picked that up. Complaint #4,239 for YachtWorld's search engine duly lodged...

Strange to put a FL120 in a 2008 build! I mean it's a great engine and all, but...

I’m not sure how interesting this boat will be to all,but it was interesting enough for us to purchase. We’re renaming her Joy Lynn. I know she’s not a trawler but she’s a fine riverboat so hopefully you won’t kick us to the side. ....
Looks great. There are several houseboat charter businesses making $$$ where we moor, yours looks nicer,I hope you enjoy comfortable cruising.

Wow - I never picked that up. Complaint #4,239 for YachtWorld's search engine duly lodged...

Strange to put a FL120 in a 2008 build! I mean it's a great engine and all, but...

It all depends on how the broker enters the info into the listing, and there is no consistency, and they are often obviously hurried. Don’t even get me started on berths and staterooms.

The listing for this boat appears to be offline, but an image search for another thread brought up this 'repower' gem.

Attachments

• 7556096_0_200820201001_1[1].jpg
    7556096_0_200820201001_1[1].jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 61
Mid morning 6/2/21...This ol' baby cruised by SF Bay's Tiburon shore. Stately to say the least. Lot of smoke coming out of her stack... may be orig engines.

Attachments

• IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 87
Instead of “interesting boats” this thread is more just big boats.

Mid morning 6/2/21...This ol' baby cruised by SF Bay's Tiburon shore. Stately to say the least. Lot of smoke coming out of her stack... may be orig engines.

Headed up to the graveyard anchorage off Benicia?

I wonder how many GPH this boat burns going uphill? :whistling:

Jim

That appears to be a Military Sealift Command ship based on its stack markings.
It's white, so I would say it is likely an oceanographic survey ship. Or possibly an "oceanographic survey ship".

Don’t have to grow up, just have to grow old :D

Curious, so I googled it. I’d bet a ten spot that was the T/V Golden Bear, former Pathfinder class ship, assigned to Cal Maritime Academy up in Vallejo/Benicia.

Or could be a coincidence :ermm:

70ft Herreshoff design and Norman Wright build ex Govt boat.
Twin 8LXB in her
$400k
Good buying that.

0_4.jpg

Glorious! An even better buy in USD if you've got the chops and/or or funds to keep up a 70' timber vessel. I don't know much about wood boats other than what I've picked up watching the Tally Ho rebuild, but I've heard freshwater isn't so good for them; surprised to see such a large boat on a lake; does it open up to the ocean? Never been to Oz.

Back
Top Bottom