Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #661
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I must have missed seeing the swimstep.
It's that big low spot between the fore cabin and the pilothouse. I figure if Al has a rail to hold onto and a mast we can rig him with it should make the step location less ambiguous

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #662
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
It's that big low spot between the fore cabin and the pilothouse. I figure if Al has a rail to hold onto and a mast we can rig him with it should make the step location less ambiguous

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #663

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Attachment 32357

I think I found the craziest boat I've ever seen....

Advantage Yacht Sales & Service Inc. (Indiantown, FL)
Not quite to my taste, but IMHO it looks far more enjoyable and maybe even more practical than many of the charmless Disneyesque plastic "tugs" and "trawlers" coming off the assembly lines in their thousands.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #664
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
A bunch of posts back, some interesting fishing boats got posted and I mentioned this one-finally was at Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle today to get a shot or two of it. Probably the craziest looking boat I have ever seen. A fishing boat (it dooes have a license # visible)? Sailboat (it has rigging? Pleasure boat (it has a below decks cabin)? It does have your standard 2x4 railings though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	32371   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	32372   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	32373  
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #665
THD
Guru

Also saw this nice little baby a few slips down. What more could you want in 20' and $19,000?. Galley, sleeps 2, head with macerator and holding tank! A 50hp Yanmar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	32374  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #666

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
A bunch of posts back, some interesting fishing boats got posted and I mentioned this one-finally was at Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle today to get a shot or two of it. Probably the craziest looking boat I have ever seen. A fishing boat (it dooes have a license # visible)? Sailboat (it has rigging? Pleasure boat (it has a below decks cabin)? It does have your standard 2x4 railings though!

What in the wide wide world of sports is that?! Can't even tell which direction is it supposed to be pointing!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #667
THD
Guru

Also saw this-not an interesting boat, but an interesting outdrive/jet drive, on an MJM Downeaster,

The fist is the boat. In the second, the brown stuff is the forest growing on the drives! Doesn't look like anyone has used in a while!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	32375   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	32376  
Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #668
THD
Guru

This isn't an interesting boat, just 2 big ass anchors hanging off the bow of a Nordhavn 76 for sale. First $3.5M takes it including the anchors!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	32377  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #669
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
OK, no matter what type of vessel it started life as, what's been done to it since is simply inhumane!

Quote:
Also saw this nice little baby a few slips down. What more could you want in 20' and $19,000?. Galley, sleeps 2, head with macerator and holding tank! A 50hp Yanmar.
Now that IS a cute tug! But what's that aluminum thing behind it? Sort of reminds me a little of the CG 47' MLB.

Quote:
This isn't an interesting boat, just 2 big ass anchors hanging off the bow of a Nordhavn 76 for sale. First $3.5M takes it including the anchors!
Now you've done it! I see thread drift ahead!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #670
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Also saw this-not an interesting boat, but an interesting outdrive/jet drive, on an MJM Downeaster,
Dat dere boat be a Hinckley.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #671
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re #664 I think somebody bought a boat to live aboard and got claustrophobia. Eventually made it bigger. Walk around decks became lots of storage and a kind of a yard of sorts. In the first pic you can see the side extensions clearly. From the stern shot construction looks very questionable.

Liveaboards in Alaska can dream up some far out contraptions. Seen all manner of weird things including 30' 3 story boats. Apartments in Juneau are so expensive liveaboards are common.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #672

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
We met the builder/owner of this fine vessel in Nanaimo this summer.

For those of you familiar with the book 'the curve of time' will recognize the design.

He found plans from the 1920's and constructed this replica boat in his garage in Arkansas. The slight modification from original is slightly longer, 25' instead of 24', and of course a modern diesel.

Cold moulded epoxy over red cedar, multi strip method.

He has a trailer on which he loads the boat up and hauls it with his pickup out to be launched at Anacortes. The past 4 seasons he, his wife and their dog cruise to Desolation Sound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	summer 2014 Desol (200).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	32383   Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2014 Desol (198).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	32384   Click image for larger version

Name:	kirstens phone 1385.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	32385  
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #673
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
She looks a bit like an Ecco... I remember they were dark below decks (if memory serves after so long that is)

Mahogany overhead, like ours used to have before we went "modern" and painted it white. Weird, isn't it, how the styles and designs come around time and time again.

The above though? She's pretty.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #674
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshanafelt View Post

For those of you familiar with the book 'the curve of time' will recognize the design.
Cool boat. What a tribute. Everyone on this site should read The Curve of Time.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #675
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshanafelt View Post

He found plans from the 1920's and constructed this replica boat in his garage in Arkansas. The slight modification from original is slightly longer, 25' instead of 24', and of course a modern diesel.

Cold moulded epoxy over red cedar, multi strip method.

He has a trailer on which he loads the boat up and hauls it with his pickup out to be launched at Anacortes. The past 4 seasons he, his wife and their dog cruise to Desolation Sound.
Well it's close, but not really Caprice. Traveler looks like she was built from the Weston Farmer plans for a 26' Elco Elco 26

Here's Caprice long ago.....She was 25' by 6.5', imagine spending whole summers in such a tiny boat alone with 5 kids and a cranky little Kermath gas engine.....

Name:	Caprice.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	32387
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #676

City: Anacortes
+1 Curve of Time.

I'm going to stop following this thread. I got up in the middle of the night after dreaming of a certain steel vessel and got to reading and interrogating pictures for about 2 hours before coming back to my senses. Starting over with a new project, all the time, money, etc.. is just not worth it. I think the Dauntless thread at the same time is making me long for a boat with true range potential. That and the fact I'm about a millimeter away from truly selling everything and starting over. I literally can't cope with this thread anymore!

No harm in liquidating projects/assets that came come along for the ride.

Who wants to bid on a 1978 Alfa Romeo? How about a dive store worth of gas equipment ( Bauer dive compressor in Verticus housing, Haskel Booster, Storage tanks, oxygen/Helium). Just listed a old Honda Motorbike on Craigs. Thinking of dumping the 2006 Boxster S 20K miles. Lets see, what's next...

No kidding, this thread is tearing me up!

I'm supposed to leave for Princess Louisa inlet in a little over a week, might be interesting to see what happens after.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #677
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Scout 30, built in Ontario in the 1980's, fiberglass.
Attached Images

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #678
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Yup .... Didn't't look at that one very good. I think Perkins did make horizontal cylinder engines back in the 60s or/and 70s.

I know they made a 6.354H = horizontal, don't know if they produced any of their other models in the same style.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #679
Scraping Paint

City: -
Some of my favorite boats that I've taken photos of over the years.

Glorybe was built in 1927. Chinook was designed by Gardner and was built by and for the publisher of "Boating" (I think)magazine as a cruising boat for the east coast. This was in the 1950s I believe. When he and his wife were done with it, it was sold and sent out to the west coast by train. Chinook was on our dock for many years until it was sold again. It's still in the area.

The Bluenose and the fishing schooners like her have always been my favorite sailing vessels. A few years ago my wife and I were taken out on the Bluenose II, and exact replica that was built in the same yard by some of the same people as the original. It was my wife's first time ever under sail.

The Columbia River gillnetter I shot at Lopez Island reminds me of the fishing boats I saw as a very young child in the harbor of my original home town, Sausalito, CA, where we lived one block back the water. Sausalito's commercial fishing harbor and the Northwestern Pacific's Tiburon train yard and engine roundhouse (both long gone) were my favorite "hangouts" as a little kid before we moved to Hawaii. The first boat I can consciously remember seeing was a boat like this painted yellow and green and named "Lucky Lady." I was probably about 2 or 3 years old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1927.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	32399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinook.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	32400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluenose.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	32401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia River gillnet boat.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	32402  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #680
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I know they made a 6.354H = horizontal, don't know if they produced any of their other models in the same style.
My 1971 C&C custom trawler had a horizontal Perkins HT-354-6. The unusual thing about this engine was it had both wet and dry sumps plus the pistons had five rings as opposed to the usual three.

We rebuilt the engine at 20,000 hours because it had a tiny bit of slap in one piston. It would have gone for several thousand more hours but I'm a wee bit picky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ENGINE 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	32403   Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor Beaufort.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	32404  

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote