Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't see nmpg stats?? I miss something. With only 125 hours on both motors - current owner not too pleased? Also, having 5 fuel tanks at 150 gal ea... 750 gals gives what range [of course leaving a 20% fuel buffer]?

I got some more detailed info from the broker.

For context, I make my living from consulting in the renewables / clean tech industry, I'm trained as a mech-e, and have designed hybrid-electric propulsion systems back since the 1990s. I love this stuff. But man, the physics of it are so tough for boats and the details of this build illustrate why.

Bottom line is they're claiming 3-3.5gph at 6-7kts cruise. The traction battery pack can provide 1hr at 5kts (~30kWh from what I can tell). There's space for 2kW of PV, which would provide... ~20 minutes at 5kts per day.

I'd still love to sit down with the owner & understand the decision making that went into this.

Reactions: Art
Single engine and twin screws, not bad. 1500 nm range, not bad.
Add more batteries to extend the electric only range, not too bad.
Really, other than choosing to do this to a wooden hull and the expense, not too crazy.

Okay, maybe a bit crazy!

The gph vs cruise speed numbers don't seem impressive though. A standard pair of small diesels would likely do just as well or better.

The gph vs cruise speed numbers don't seem impressive though. A standard pair of small diesels would likely do just as well or better.

And no doubt cheaper.
To make any real sense, there would have to be 5+ kW of solar panels added.

I got some more detailed info from the broker.

For context, I make my living from consulting in the renewables / clean tech industry, I'm trained as a mech-e, and have designed hybrid-electric propulsion systems back since the 1990s. I love this stuff. But man, the physics of it are so tough for boats and the details of this build illustrate why.

Bottom line is they're claiming 3-3.5gph at 6-7kts cruise. The traction battery pack can provide 1hr at 5kts (~30kWh from what I can tell). There's space for 2kW of PV, which would provide... ~20 minutes at 5kts per day.

I'd still love to sit down with the owner & understand the decision making that went into this.

Yeah, I am with Socal here. Really puzzling rationale to take mechanical energy off the diesel generator to convert to electric energy for the motors and then be converted back to mechanical energy for the shaft. Losses at each step. Why would you do this unless you expected to collect free electrical energy and lots of it via photovoltaic.
This makes about as much sense to me as the world thinking electric cars are a leap forward when they are being charged from a carbon based grid.
Leap backwards if you ask me.

Yeah, I am with Socal here. Really puzzling rationale to take mechanical energy off the diesel generator to convert to electric energy for the motors and then be converted back to mechanical energy for the shaft. Losses at each step. Why would you do this unless you expected to collect free electrical energy and lots of it via photovoltaic.
This makes about as much sense to me as the world thinking electric cars are a leap forward when they are being charged from a carbon based grid.

The value prop with cars is much more clear, particularly as the grid continues to decarbonize. Even if you don't care about that, the benefits are clear if you've ever driven a Tesla (smooth, quiet, astonishing acceleration, very high drivetrain efficiency etc.) My home has 8kW of solar which covers my driving and home energy use at a fraction of the cost of gasoline and utility energy.

This boat... hmmm... I keep thinking they should have at least attached that 60kW JD generator to one of the prop shafts. My CHB 41 gets about that same burn (maybe better) with its twin Lehman 120s at 7kts and I don't have to worry about motor controllers burning out.

It would make more sense to me configured as a SoCal day boat that runs quiet and slow around the bay, but has the capability to get out to Catalina on generator power. But as a long range cruiser? Hmm... Not sure I'd want to be heading North up the CA or OR coast for days on end with that drivetrain.

Last edited:

To me it would only make sense if the boat operates over a wider speed range and had multiple generators. Then under light load (low speeds) you can shut some down and you're running less engine closer to its efficiency peak. Outside of situations like that, the conversion losses will generally outweigh the gains. And a setup like this is probably too heavy for a fast boat anyway, making it a moot point.

Ah yes, as someone point out, Hey Texas, charge your electric car now.

They make Ford pickup trucks with 120vt generators on board the truck.
Now why didn't you think of that idea? LOL
Yup, advertised as generator. It would be less expensive to put an inverter on the truck. I have a small inverter tucked in the trunk of my old Mercury.

Nice peek at Car Dudes Boat

Screen shot of Great Harbour GH47 YouTube video. Check out upper left corner.
:)

5FB01348-FE7E-40B8-BB9C-1AD477E6F9E4.jpg

Hey! Cool!

Poor Bijou has been sitting there all alone in Jacksonville since May. My son and I moved her from Stuart to escape hurricane weather, and my wife and I had hoped to cruise north a bit plus hang out with Larry and Lena, but we have not been back since. Covid complications kept us in Texas.

We hope to be there soon, hopefully in April.

Wow! Where is that? Draft restriction? Wonder what that cost versus a drawbridge?
Lots of aqueducts like that in UK and EU. The Chesapeake tunnel on the VA/NC state line is a virtual larger and deeper version. Pretty neat, all of them. :thumb:

Lots of aqueducts like that in UK and EU. The Chesapeake tunnel on the VA/NC state line is a virtual larger and deeper version. Pretty neat, all of them. :thumb:

Yeah - pretty bad-ass to pass through one of them under sail too. Might have to add that to the bucket list.

Paradise Island off Nassau has that also.

Attachments

• atlantis tunnel.jpg
    atlantis tunnel.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 42
  • atlantis tunnel chart.png
    atlantis tunnel chart.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 31

Erie canal has an over pass like that also.

nt9ji5wqs6531.jpg

Ted

And the tunnel to Canada under the Detroit River from Detroit.
The crooked mayor tried to sell the side that belongs to the US. He was stopped because Detroit does not own it.d
Because of these and his other shady deals and accepting bribes, he ended up in prison a long with a few other Michigan mayors and elected officials. LOL

The crooked mayor tried to sell the side that belongs to the US. He was stopped because Detroit does not own it.d
Because of these and his other shady deals and accepting bribes, he ended up in prison a long with a few other Michigan mayors and elected officials. LOL
I did not know that, thanks. :thumb:

Drifting but I am waxing nostalgic. Spent the first 27 years of my life in Michigan the majority in Detroit. It was a beautiful city in the 50's and 60's. 5th largest in the US. I returned after a 43 year absence in 2019. It looked like a vision of the future at the end of civilization. I believe the 67' riots were Detroit's death knell. I and about 2 million Detroiters have gone. Left the city in an impoverished black ghetto ripe for the criminal element - Kilpatrick. Selling the Windsor tunnel - I am not surprised.

Heck of a good looking hull and bottom design.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom