Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a classic wood tug that we have often admired at the Port of Everett. Love these old tugs, but even at what seems like a fairly reasonable price can't really imagine going that route...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/everett-coolidge-monk-classic-tugboat/7275674044.html

00E0E_e3oHVujXvqWz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg

Looks like on this thread size matters.
And on other threads.

Can we see some little boats .. please?

HaHa gotta admit Chippewa is Beautiful.

Akflyer,
Shop? No problem.
Anchoring may be challenging. How would you fit that big tug in the small rocky anchorages in SE?
Great picture. May be slightly over color saturated and a touch high on the contrast too. Somebody knows how to post a good picture!
That looks like the west side of Camano Is. in the picture.

Last edited:
Wood boats seem to last longer in the NW and very cold water.

Wonder what her cruising nmpg is? :hide:

What a great, cozy boat at first glance. Could definitely envision something like that as a liveaboard for the four of us. Could even find room for my small wood shop on her somewhere.

The ad notes 9.2 Kts at 9 gal per hour at a leisurely 268 rpms...I'll bet you could feel every cylinder pulse on something like that.

The ad notes 9.2 Kts at 9 gal per hour at a leisurely 268 rpms...I'll bet you could feel every cylinder pulse on something like that.

No kidding - I've not heard of a Washington Diesel. The pistons must be the size of garbage cans. Pretty respectable efficiency for such ancient tech! Wonder what the compression ratio is.

No kidding - I've not heard of a Washington Diesel. The pistons must be the size of garbage cans. Pretty respectable efficiency for such ancient tech! Wonder what the compression ratio is.

I worked at Washington Iron Works and saw many drawings of WIW engines. Dynamically they were probably kinda like the Enterprise diesel I tended in Alaska.

8 cylinders, 16x20” bs, 90” x 5” steel flywheel. It was hooked to an alternator so ran at a constant speed .. 327rpm. 1440 hp. 8 cylinders in-line w individual cylinder heads. 300 gal. Dry sump lube system. Delo 30w oil. Turbocharged.

That’sjust some details I remember.
Don’t remember any vibration. Was mounted on a large concrete base.

Last edited:

Big one

Attachments

• 00D0D_d64sv5Pnqe0z_0x20lW_1200x900.jpg
    00D0D_d64sv5Pnqe0z_0x20lW_1200x900.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 38
I do like the look of that Buehler 71. Long, narrow, canoe stern... Beautiful timber interior. I wonder if she was built at Seahorse Marine?

Saw this old gal anchored in the harbor in Craig Ak. some years ago.
Not many left like her. Pressed my camera to the handrail and got it at max telephoto.

Eric, The USFS still owns the boat. It is registered on the National archives therefor, it can not be disposed. She is sitting on the hard in Wrangell after a many thousands of dollars of yard work prior to the determination of how to tend to her. I thought I had heard the seeking of a sponsor and what that may entail.
I had discussed the work underway with the yard doing the project. It seems that her last major annual ship yard work entailed a sizeable number of planks. Seems those replacement planks came from the Doug Fir related to the Mount Saint Helens eruption. The wood was deemed poor grade after the replacement work was accomplished. The result was the Wrangell contractor re-doing those as well some extensive deck work. All in All the boat is in excellent condition

Came across this today when looking for something else, an info sheet on her: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd506687.pdf

, the Forest Service is seeking proposals from the public to lease, adaptively re-use, and preserve the vessel.
Submit an Idea
Send us a brief proposal letter or email with information:
• Your name or the name of your
organization
• Your alternative use idea or
feasibility plan
• All lease proposals will be
considered
• Particular consideration will be given
to proposals that best preserve the boat’s historic integrity.

Attachments

• E3A57C6F-722E-4292-894F-A2A0FBECDFF0.jpeg
    E3A57C6F-722E-4292-894F-A2A0FBECDFF0.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 36

Attachments

• 1671B016-3133-4280-B9E8-1FEC746317E9.jpeg
    1671B016-3133-4280-B9E8-1FEC746317E9.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 57
I believe I visited this vessel when it was for sale in the UK in 2004/2005.
I seriously considered buying it - thank god I did not. Just the logistics of getting it to Massachusetts, coupled with taking care of all the old systems, and a dock big enough to take her were kind of daunting. Plus, I was a a bit naive having mostly smaller vessel experience. Still it is still a beautiful vessel. As I remember the then (British) owner had done extensive renovations. One of his claims for the Gardner was that you could remove one cylinder (for repair) while the engine still ran. I did wonder why you would ever need to do that. I eventually bought a Selene 47 instead.

I would think both the steel hull and the Gardner engine would be a plus.
Maybe a hyd stern thruster and hyd stabilizers?
Only one head?
The list of "exclusions" tells me one thing, LOTS of holes in the walls.
Over all, a great boat. Now, if the owner dropped the price another 50-70K, that boat would be gone

Last edited:
My wife just jogged my memory!!
So, all the facts remain the same, except the vessel I saw in UK was called "Auriga" which subsequently became the name of our Selene.
So perhaps it is actually Auriga renamed as Migrant, or perhaps they are sister ships. Either way, very nice.

The ad makes it appear that it was purchased somewhere unk. but then almost totally refit in Canada before being brought down to New England.

Our pluses are others’ minuses. After doing due diligence (albeit too slowly apparently, lol) on a recently sold passagemaker with a 8 cylinder Gardner, I would have no issue with one myself, but plenty people would.

What I liked was the lines of the vessel, the Gardner, and that it was made from Corten steel...that stuff only develops an extremely thin layer of surface rust, right?

Looks like on this thread size matters.
And on other threads.

Can we see some little boats .. please?

HaHa gotta admit Chippewa is Beautiful.
I came across this boat at the Georgian Bay tugfest.IMG_20180817_121409.jpeg

Both the Corten steel hull and the Gardner engine are pluses. The Gardner is the L3B series which is better than the LXB series, though I like both based on experience. Asking price may be a little steep though...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom